Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Like-A-Rock44

GM disappointingly small fuel tanks continue

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, swathdiver said:

So how far do you want to go before refueling?  800 miles?  1,500 miles?

I use my truck for so many things its about more then just a range for me. Extended idling using it as an office for work, off roading low speed all day, long road trips... I see so many pros to a large fuel tank. I see companies driving more effective out of their fleet trucks asking for larger fuel tanks to keep their employees from wasting time filling up. Chevy is missing out on so many sales when they don’t have to.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being a “yes man” is the greatest disservice you can do to GM. Accepting a down sized fuel tank truly hurts the brand long term not to mention resale valve. I am a true Chevy enthusiast with hundreds of thousands miles under my belt on Chevy Trucks. This good enough attitude has keep GM in 2nd place for way too long, now Ram is budding momentum I guess 3rd place is good enough. I could act you and say go buy a Honda Ridgeline it has a small fuel tank and a signal spend transfer case! Why celebrate and defend these small steps in the wrong direction. We are all GM enthusiast and we want GM to put out a better truck then the competition. I really have not got to the root cause for this fuel tank reduction does anyone know?  Why does GM only offer a 24 gallon tank? The competition is offering a 50% larger tank 36 gallons!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 8:43 AM, diyer2 said:

No big deal to me.

:)

No big deal to anyone with any emotional intelligence. 

 

Mr LikeARock must be a huge snowflake. Christ Almighty, if you’re that upset over a frakkin fuel tank, buy a Ford or Ram or a diesel or add a tank or drive a Prius. You’re preaching to the choir on here, and GM couldn’t care less what you think you want. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Like-A-Rock44 said:

Being a “yes man” is the greatest disservice you can do to GM. Accepting a down sized fuel tank truly hurts the brand long term not to mention resale valve. I am a true Chevy enthusiast with hundreds of thousands miles under my belt on Chevy Trucks. This good enough attitude has keep GM in 2nd place for way too long, now Ram is budding momentum I guess 3rd place is good enough. I could act you and say go buy a Honda Ridgeline it has a small fuel tank and a signal spend transfer case! Why celebrate and defend these small steps in the wrong direction. We are all GM enthusiast and we want GM to put out a better truck then the competition. I really have not got to the root cause for this fuel tank reduction does anyone know?  Why does GM only offer a 24 gallon tank? The competition is offering a 50% larger tank 36 gallons!  

Get your truck key out of your ear. You’ve already been told what the root cause is. Saving a little weight in the name of EPA fuel mileage, and underbody packaging. GM engineers give you 400-500 miles of range on a gas vehicle (if you’re lucky) and call it good enough.  And they don’t mind one bit if that forces you into a more expensive diesel model, if you need more range.  Now move on, the grownups have real world issues to deal with right now. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Get your truck key out of your ear. You’ve already been told what the root cause is. Saving a little weight in the name of EPA fuel mileage, and underbody packaging. GM engineers give you 400-500 miles of range on a gas vehicle (if you’re lucky) and call it good enough.  And they don’t mind one bit if that forces you into a more expensive diesel model, if you need more range.  Now move on, the grownups have real world issues to deal with right now. 

Facts. Also to OP, 400-500 isn’t uncommon or “low”. Most cars get this range. Small cars to large SUVs. If a car/truck has a bigger tank it could be that they get worse mileage hence why it’s bigger on the max tow of F150.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Like-A-Rock44 said:

I use my truck for so many things its about more then just a range for me. Extended idling using it as an office for work, off roading low speed all day, long road trips... I see so many pros to a large fuel tank. I see companies driving more effective out of their fleet trucks asking for larger fuel tanks to keep their employees from wasting time filling up. Chevy is missing out on so many sales when they don’t have to.   

Me too.  I'd love a larger fuel capacity as well.  But you didn't provide specifics on your wants, how many miles, how many hours? 

 

My old truck with AT tires can travel almost 500 highway miles before refueling.  Around town, she needs refueling about every 12 hours if the average speed is about 30 mph.  My longest time between refueling was 18 hours and she still went 391 miles at an average speed of 22 mph.  The motor used less than 24 gallons burning 1.3 gallons per hour.

 

How much is enough?  It's too bad that the gas tanks are considered emissions devices nowadays.  This is why the aftermarket won't touch them for gasoline powered vehicles.

 

My '88 F-SuperDuty carried an additional 80 gallons; she hauled cargo across country.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rams 1500s like the GM 1500s which offer an optional eco diesel have the same small 23 gal/Double Cab or 26 gal/ Crew Cab gas tanks as the GM 1500s which also offer an optional diesel.

 

Fords F150s have a larger gas tank because they do not offer an optional diesel so they can stuff a larger gas tank into the space engineering designed for the undercarriage location crash testing has certified to fit a 24 gal gas tank and a 6 gal DEF tank alongside.

 

What's the big deal anyway? Up to 400 miles at 65 mph is 6+ hours of straight driving, so unless you have a bladder larger than your small gas tank you have to stop to fill your gas tank at the same time you empty yours.

 

Could be a generational thing.....The 26 gal. gas tank in my '74 Impala with a 400 C.I.D. that got 7 mpg on a good day was typical for the period and never heard any owners complain that the  gas tank was too small.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

No big deal to anyone with any emotional intelligence. 

 

Mr LikeARock must be a huge snowflake. Christ Almighty, if you’re that upset over a frakkin fuel tank, buy a Ford or Ram or a diesel or add a tank or drive a Prius. You’re preaching to the choir on here, and GM couldn’t care less what you think you want. 

I already told him that . He won't let it go. Sad .

He probably wears Depends so he can keep driving.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a real topic?  Most people I know don't even fill up their fuel tank, let alone want to fill up a 36 gallon tank every time.  Even in the F150 the larger tank is an option, not the standard.  They get the same tank size as the GM trucks do otherwise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2020 at 12:56 AM, tmo said:

Don’t worry, In 10 years you will be driving electric and it’s won’t matter because you will plug in at night when you sleep. No more wasting your life.

Probably more like 20, if ever. EVs are a huge ways off from replacing gas and diesel. 

13 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Rams 1500s like the GM 1500s which offer an optional eco diesel have the same small 23 gal/Double Cab or 26 gal/ Crew Cab gas tanks as the GM 1500s which also offer an optional diesel.

 

Fords F150s have a larger gas tank because they do not offer an optional diesel so they can stuff a larger gas tank into the space engineering designed for the undercarriage location crash testing has certified to fit a 24 gal gas tank and a 6 gal DEF tank alongside.

 

What's the big deal anyway? Up to 400 miles at 65 mph is 6+ hours of straight driving, so unless you have a bladder larger than your small gas tank you have to stop to fill your gas tank at the same time you empty yours.

 

Could be a generational thing.....The 26 gal. gas tank in my '74 Impala with a 400 C.I.D. that got 7 mpg on a good day was typical for the period and never heard any owners complain that the  gas tank was too small.

Ford absolutely has an optional diesel on the F150. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quit all the bitching and get one of these.
b97380f01ceec07566d6d7e401094929.png

Pretty sure that’s not certified for gasoline use, I don’t think any of them are due to the flashpoint factor. Only mentioned it because the police that had nothing better to do caught one of the RV transport trucks on a DOT stop and noticed it was a gasser, and the transfer tank full of gasoline. DOT doesn’t like non-DOT certified containers hauling gasoline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2020 at 4:32 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

Get your truck key out of your ear. You’ve already been told what the root cause is. Saving a little weight in the name of EPA fuel mileage

 

It is all about the fleet mileage mandate. They need to squeeze every possible fuel economy saving that they can out of every vehicle in the lineup.   

 

I don’t remember what model year it was but from one to the next the recommended tire pressure on the Corvette (and maybe other models)  went from 32 to 35.  Same tires and wheels - it was just a gimmick to improve the fleet mileage. 

 

These moves might seem to have an insignificant impact but when you add them up it gets them to the number they need to meet.   If you want to blame someone it is the bureaucrats.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 5:51 AM, dieselfan1 said:

I already told him that . He won't let it go. Sad .

He probably wears Depends so he can keep driving.

A Honda Ridgeline maybe a better fit for you it has a small fuel tank too! it will be great for you because you get to stop fill up all the time. Keep in mind a Tesla has a short range too with a long charge time. This forum is for serious truck enthusiasts you may have better luck pushing your small tank justification somewhere else. Long hauls, heavy towing, even the soccer moms likes a large fuel tank so your not wasting time at the pump. The Chevy 24 gallon tank is just too small for Truck Enthusiasts! Lets make a good truck great GM needs a large fuel tank option! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind stopping to get gas. Let's people ooooh and ahhhh at my truck.61c5eb74af18f8246c23ca09f31da950.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.