GM disappointingly small fuel tanks continue

Wrong wrong wrong.  [emoji14] 

GM recommends using 93 octane gasoline for its top-of-the-line 6.2-liter V-8-equipped trucks. The owner’s manual does state as low as 87 octane is acceptable for the engine. However, to achieve maximum performance and fuel economy you must use 93.

So with that being said- you can get by fine for a few tanks of 87.  Won't have the same performance as you would running 91 or 93 but go ahead and do it if 91/93 is not available.  (91 above 3500-4000ft is essentially the same as 93 at sea level)

https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2020/10/misleading-these-trucks-recommend-or-require-premium-fuel/

So SHUT UP and drive. 
You can't get 93 in California. Only 91.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 12:06 PM, Transient said:

You can't get 93 in California. Only 91.

we do have  a few 100 pumps at my local station, but price is $10/gal. but your gas milage is like 18mpg in the city and 40 mpg highway on that stuff. still not worth it. but dense hydrocarbons sure do put legs on these motors.

the 210 thermostat and 87 octane on a 12:1 CR motor =  sounds a bit dumb,

91 octane gives you a 2mpg gain over the cheap stuff. do the math  you'll see your paying more for 87 fuel /mile

Edited by flyingfool

we do have  a few 100 pumps at my local station, but price is $10/gal. but your gas milage is like 18mpg in the city and 40 mpg highway on that stuff. still not worth it. but dense hydrocarbons sure do put legs on these motors.

the 210 thermostat and 87 octane on a 12:1 CR motor =  sounds a bit dumb,

91 octane gives you a 2mpg gain over the cheap stuff. do the math  you'll see your paying more for 87 fuel /mile

I have a 6.2 and only use the premium fuel at top tier gas stations

• 1 month later...

Ok to add a little lightness to the discussion, when that zombie apocalypse arrive, your going to want as much fuel as possible to get away!

There are aftermarket options for the diesel but fewer for the gasser and none that replace the factory tank. For gasser HD when towing and getting 8mpg x36 gallons gives a max of 288miles. Now your going to stop earlier than that so at about 250 miles of travel which is less than 4 hours of traveling. I would like to travel 6 hours a day and fill up at the end which would require a 50 gallon tank. More efficient travel. Thats my reasoning behind wanting a larger tank. I do stop every few hours but its mostly roadside to piss or eat. Pulling a large 35' rig into some stations is not always the best option so doing it once a day is preferable.

I terrine only filling up while there's sunlight. Zombies are noisy, but B-rated movies have taught me they can use the darkness to sneak up on you. At least you'll have a better chance of seeing them coming while there's sunlight. Imo, filling up right before sundown and driving all night is better than driving all day. I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time. However, Hollywood can't put anything in a movie that isn't true.

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2021 at 9:59 AM, GMC4Zee said:

Ok to add a little lightness to the discussion, when that zombie apocalypse arrive, your going to want as much fuel as possible to get away!

There are aftermarket options for the diesel but fewer for the gasser and none that replace the factory tank. For gasser HD when towing and getting 8mpg x36 gallons gives a max of 288miles. Now your going to stop earlier than that so at about 250 miles of travel which is less than 4 hours of traveling. I would like to travel 6 hours a day and fill up at the end which would require a 50 gallon tank. More efficient travel. Thats my reasoning behind wanting a larger tank. I do stop every few hours but its mostly roadside to piss or eat. Pulling a large 35' rig into some stations is not always the best option so doing it once a day is preferable.

Not as nice as a bigger replacement tank underneath, but a transfer tank in the bed and you can pump to the trucks tank when stopped for a bio break. 

20 hours ago, redwngr said:

Not as nice as a bigger replacement tank underneath, but a transfer tank in the bed and you can pump to the trucks tank when stopped for a bio break. 

I wish there were a gas approved tank available for the bed.. diesel yes but not gas in my area.  Ironic that I can put five jerry cans of gas in the bed but not a tank.  I'd love to have a 30+ gallon tank with a pump or directly connected to the existing gas tank.  I wouldn't necessary fill the bed tank but would use it primarily on long trips.