For those who have removed flappers, locked flappers open, or covered resonance screens, I have two questions:

1.  Which of the three modifications affected drone the most?  

2.  Which of the three modifications affected tone the most?

I wired the flapper open on my 19 5.3l single exhaust and there is no drone. Actually I cant even tell a difference in sound at all. Reason I wired it open was because it was causing the exhaust to whistle, now it doesnt whistle. I havent done anything with the screens.

Edited by 19Sierra
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for screens being the biggest contributor to drone. Did a muffler delete on my '19 5.3L, dual exit, I have the screen towards the front of the truck, on the passenger side, open. And I'll have to verify, but I believe the rear or middle screen open on the driver side and it removed the helicopter drone, completely. This screen combination allowed the idle to remain louder, and deeper, than leaving them all open. 

Edited by Rpitz56

Ok fellas here it is from someone who has actually done it. I Installed the Borla Atak muffler 2.5 off center inlet to center outlet. Off the top of my head part number was 400826... I tested the sound absolutely no drone with flapper valve removed. Then to further testing I covered the mesh resonators and love the sound now. Perfect no drone whatsoever. 2020 LT trail boss 5.3 muffler shop charged $100.00 got the muffler for 230 on sale for fathers day 

Edited by smald081

• 1 month later...

Stock exaust. Clamped flapper open.  Slight in crease in sound at startup.  No drone. After a while I covered all 6 screens.  Notable increase in sound at low rpms. Perfect for me. I haven't noticed any drone, even pulling a horse trailer. I know exhaust sound is completely subjective. I don't want a loud exhaust, just a deeper tone. I would like to remove the flapper to get rid of the restriction,  but this is completely  reversible at any time.

• 5 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, smald081 said:

Ok fellas here it is from someone who has actually done it. I Installed the Borla Atak muffler 2.5 off center inlet to center outlet. Off the top of my head part number was 400826... I tested the sound absolutely no drone with flapper valve removed. Then to further testing I covered the mesh resonators and love the sound now. Perfect no drone whatsoever. 2020 LT trail boss 5.3 muffler shop charged $100.00 got the muffler for 230 on sale for fathers day 

Does the 5.3 have only 1 flapper? and your saying your setup has zero drone? 

buddy was thinking of grabbing some exhaust mesh tape and covering the screens to see if it helps reduce the drone a little more 

Edited by 204Denali

On 7/26/2020 at 9:27 AM, Ratchetarms said:

Stock exaust. Clamped flapper open.  Slight in crease in sound at startup.  No drone. After a while I covered all 6 screens.  Notable increase in sound at low rpms. Perfect for me. I haven't noticed any drone, even pulling a horse trailer. I know exhaust sound is completely subjective. I don't want a loud exhaust, just a deeper tone. I would like to remove the flapper to get rid of the restriction,  but this is completely  reversible at any time.

How did you clamp the flapper valve open?

Use two hose clamps. One on the inner piece and one on the outer piece with a piece of metal strap between the two. You must turn it open when tightening the clamps. Someone posted a picture, I will try and find it

IMG_20210111_212023620.jpg

Edited by Ratchetarms
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2021 at 8:49 PM, Ratchetarms said:

Use two hose clamps. One on the inner piece and one on the outer piece with a piece of metal strap between the two. You must turn it open when tightening the clamps. Someone posted a picture, I will try and find it

IMG_20210111_212023620.jpg

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...