small 2 cycle engines are not made for long life spans.  That being said, I have no issue running fuel with ethanol in it as long as I treat it with a good stabilizer like Stabil-360 which takes care of the Ethanol harmfulness

Beg to differ. Some models are made to last and even with stabilizer in the fuel the ethanol will still destroy the rubber long term. Been there tried it and same results but yes it did hold off the destruction about 6 months.

• Thanks 1

Contractor friend of mine uses STIHL products top of the line for his landscaping business, blowers, weed eaters, chain saws.  They only get a year of daily use out of their machines before they are worn out and have to be replaced.  (Spring, Summer, Fall) You'll sometimes find "rated use" or hours listed on the labels.  Because of the amount of fuel they use in these things, he uses 2 cycle oil mixed with fuel.  Sometimes the fuel has ethanol in it, sometimes it doesn't.  (He buys the fuel in bulk and treats it, they get fresh fuel about every 2 months) But for normal residential use, you'll get years of use out of them. 

• 1 year later...

Just made up a new gallon. Last one lasted 13 months and machines singing pretty. I guess I got shelf life figured out okay.

$6.09 a gallon ethanol free to make vs $40 a gallon STHIL gas. 

Weed whip is now about 5 years old and the blower about 8. First whip lasted 3 years on STIHL fuel. To little oil IMHO. 

STIHL mix is 50:1 and that is what it was tuned on. Girl barks on 43:1 like it did new. Heck better than it did new. Replace the fuel pickup tube this year. Stored dry.... Starts MUCH easier. 

Laugh all ya like....it works...it's cheap....equipment is happy....I'm happy. 

• 1 year later...

New batch cost $10.42 a gallon to make. Extra dollar for SUNOCO 100 260GT increasing cost 71%. Original recipe would have been $9.36 a gallon to make or up 54% in two years. 

Last batch never went sour. Just used the last of it. 1 year and 9 months. Sthil gas $37.88. 

14 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

New batch cost $10.42 a gallon to make. Extra dollar for SUNOCO 100 260GT increasing cost 71%. Original recipe would have been $9.36 a gallon to make or up 54% in two years. 

Last batch never went sour. Just used the last of it. 1 year and 9 months. Sthil gas $37.88. 

Hey Grumpy I remember this thread. I don’t use my chainsaw much. I’m actually thinking of going battery powered, I hate the noise. By the way same gas, same chainsaw. And it’s still good. Of course your is better for high usage. But this stuff last.

IMG_0548.jpeg

• Like 1

I bought a battery chainsaw this spring. Sthil 12" Love it. And if the blower didn't fire up it was getting replaced as well but....fired right up and purred like a kitten with a bowl of warm milk. I increased the oil mix once more from 43: to 40:1. Small bump I know. It runs much better than it did at 50:1. Starts easier too. 

Talking with dad he runs everything 32:1 no matter what the label says. It's an easy mix. 4 ounces per gallon. His observation as a lifelong engine builder is rings last multiples longer and seal better. Next batch if I still have them. 

Since I started mixing my own the yearly carburetor diaphragm replacement is a thing of the past and it STAYS in tune. No more carrying a screwdriver in my pocket. 

• Like 1