This is a 2020 with 16000 miles on it, guy came in with this complaint. 

Anyone here actually look at their frames, if you live on gravel roads this is way more common his entire underside looks like its a 10 year old truck

thumbnail_20200621_180713.jpg

thumbnail_20200621_180727.jpg

10 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

This is a 2020 with 16000 miles on it, guy came in with this complaint. 

Anyone here actually look at their frames, if you live on gravel roads this is way more common his entire underside looks like its a 10 year old truck

thumbnail_20200621_180713.jpg

thumbnail_20200621_180727.jpg

Just looking at the wheel well it is clear this truck is worked and doesn't get cleaned very much. No doubt gm's wax coating is not very good, it doesn't self heal like the claim and these pictures are proof of that.

I can imagine the garbage they use to treat the roads are a huge reason for this look too, i live in the north east of america and imo the last couple years they have been using far more corrosive stuff to treat the roads and this coating is no longer able to hold up imo.

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

Just looking at the wheel well it is clear this truck is worked and doesn't get cleaned very much. No doubt gm's wax coating is not very good, it doesn't self heal like the claim and these pictures are proof of that.

I can imagine the garbage they use to treat the roads are a huge reason for this look too, i live in the north east of america and imo the last couple years they have been using far more corrosive stuff to treat the roads and this coating is no longer able to hold up imo.

Hes an older guy his house is about 1000 feet of driving on a dirt road it doesnt get worked at all , dirt road to highway into the city. 

38 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Hes an older guy his house is about 1000 feet of driving on a dirt road it doesnt get worked at all , dirt road to highway into the city. 

I don't know what to tell you here, these coating have been complained about for years now but i think the liquid crap they treat the roads with now is just far more corrosive then the old salt and sand combo. These wax coatings only look good for the first couple thousand miles, after that they instantly start to brown and flake off causing this patch rusting you are showing pictures of. And yes eventually if left untreated for several years it will go past just surface rust. Some dealers have take the trucks in and have reapplied undercoating to fix them up. Be careful though as some dealers really go out of their way to make it look good, while i have seen some guys on here with a tech that literally just went hog wild covering over flaking off wax coating and over spraying it everywhere making it actually much worse then before.

We get low mile used trucks from Canada all the time.  Dirt roads and whatever they use on them in the winter is absolute hell on the wax coating on the frames.  This sadly looks normal for a Canadian truck based on the ones I've seen.  The frames get absolutely blasted up there.  Most come from Quebec.  We've had to clean most of them up and some we even sent back.   

Edited by newdude

9 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

I don't know what to tell you here, these coating have been complained about for years now but i think the liquid crap they treat the roads with now is just far more corrosive then the old salt and sand combo. These wax coatings only look good for the first couple thousand miles, after that they instantly start to brown and flake off causing this patch rusting you are showing pictures of. And yes eventually if left untreated for several years it will go past just surface rust. Some dealers have take the trucks in and have reapplied undercoating to fix them up. Be careful though as some dealers really go out of their way to make it look good, while i have seen some guys on here with a tech that literally just went hog wild covering over flaking off wax coating and over spraying it everywhere making it actually much worse then before.

You dont need to tell me anything, Ive known this since the 2014 I work for a dealership, I simply said for people to check theirs. 

38 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

16k and the tires are almost bald? LOL

Did you even look at the close up pic they are like new and yes thats how they look from factory almost bald when looking at them from a distance. 

Looks pretty normal to this Canadian.  This is why when you buy a new truck in northern climates you need to pay extra and have rust proofing and undercoating applied to the entire vehicle, and not from the dealership either.  For about the same price you can get aftermarket applied rust proofing and undercoating with a lifetime warranty, yearly inspections and reapplication of product in high wear areas for little to no fee in some cases where as if done through the dealership it's a one time service and no warranty.

2 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

You dont need to tell me anything, Ive known this since the 2014 I work for a dealership, I simply said for people to check theirs. 

So since you are a tech did you tell your fiend that dealers have repaired this issue before and that he is within his warranty to ask for the same if he wants? 

Edited by BIGDOGx

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

So since you are a tech did you tell your fiend that dealers have repaired this issue before and that he is within his warranty to ask for the same if he wants? 

Dont put words into my mouth, Im not a tech and this is no friend please read.  Its a customer and GM doenst repair it they cover it up with rubberized coating.  Im gonna tell you this again as the original posts says I ASKED FOR PEOPLE TO CHECK THEIRS.  GET that?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 19 Denali ultimate said:

Looks pretty normal to this Canadian.  This is why when you buy a new truck in northern climates you need to pay extra and have rust proofing and undercoating applied to the entire vehicle, and not from the dealership either.  For about the same price you can get aftermarket applied rust proofing and undercoating with a lifetime warranty, yearly inspections and reapplication of product in high wear areas for little to no fee in some cases where as if done through the dealership it's a one time service and no warranty.

I dont know where your getting lifetime applications here in Winnipeg Rust check is Annually renewable warranties to all cars less than one model year and Id like to know what price your talking about, you see Rams or Fords here that look like this after 20000KM? they are actually powdercated. 

Edited by Pinnacle

Both Ming and Ziebart have lifetime warranty (new vehicles, used get 6 year warranty from Ming) with yearly inspections and touch ups of undercoating on high wear areas from Ming, and with Ziebart you get touch ups again in high wear areas of undercoating and reapplication of the rust proofing protection for 50ish bucks.  Just had mine redone.

Edited by 19 Denali ultimate

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

I dont know where your getting lifetime applications here in Winnipeg Rust check is Annually renewable warranties to all cars less than one model year and Id like to know what price your talking about, you see Rams or Fords here that look like this after 20000KM? they are actually powdercated. 

One thing I neglected to add in my statement was that it looked pretty normal... for a GM.