Gas 2500 Resale Value

On 6/29/2020 at 5:48 PM, GMdude2020 said:

I know the diesels hold their value really well. Anyone know how well a gas Sierra 2500 holds its value over 5 years? 

Well from experience: I have a 2016 gas sle 2500 hd that I paid $40000 for. I just recently started looking at upgrading and got a trade value from my local dealer of $33500. 6500$ loss over 4 years isn’t too bad. Msrp when new was $51500.

Statistically used diesels will sell for more money than used gas but used gas will hold a higher percentage of original msrp than a diesel will. So people will always say diesel resale for more but realistically the gas holds more value. Do a comparison on kbb for any trim truck you desire and price it with a diesel and then a gas. The diesel will be about 6-7k more than the gas but that diesel cost 10k more when new.

• Like 1

I think the advantage of the diesel comes in the resale of higher mileage trucks. Reasonable mileage and the gasser will hold it's own. When you're pushing 200,000 or better, the gasser value is gonna drop way more dramatically than the diesel. You stand a better chance at much of the worn parts or problems having been taken care of in the deisels lifetime. No way I'd be looking at a gas engine with that many miles. Even with the vehicles I've taken good care of,  it'll probably start wanting to puke sensor replacements, and other fuel related issues. I use to drive 40,000 miles a year, commuting. Even with timely oil changes and fresh tanks of gas, the engine oil is gonna smell like fuel when you get up there. That said, I bought a gasser. These days I live within biking, walking distance of my work. Most of my driving is going to be recreational with some boat towing. The extra couple of miles per gallon for higher prices diesel, will not pay off for me. This truck will tow the boat much better than a 1500, when I need it. But the gas mileage is already looking slightly better than when I bought it. 2500 CC w/ 6.6 gas. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stand By said:

I think the advantage of the diesel comes in the resale of higher mileage trucks. Reasonable mileage and the gasser will hold it's own. When you're pushing 200,000 or better, the gasser value is gonna drop way more dramatically than the diesel. You stand a better chance at much of the worn parts or problems having been taken care of in the deisels lifetime. No way I'd be looking at a gas engine with that many miles. Even with the vehicles I've taken good care of,  it'll probably start wanting to puke sensor replacements, and other fuel related issues. I use to drive 40,000 miles a year, commuting. Even with timely oil changes and fresh tanks of gas, the engine oil is gonna smell like fuel when you get up there. That said, I bought a gasser. These days I live within biking, walking distance of my work. Most of my driving is going to be recreational with some boat towing. The extra couple of miles per gallon for higher prices diesel, will not pay off for me. This truck will tow the boat much better than a 1500, when I need it. But the gas mileage is already looking slightly better than when I bought it. 2500 CC w/ 6.6 gas. 

There may be some truth to that on the high-mileage trucks, for sure. For me, I see every component having all those miles! LOL! Bearings, bushings, seats, springs, etc. Basically, I stay away from them if at all possible. Getting the 100k is one thing, but I'm not into the 200k club unless I've owned it and maintained it the whole time.

24 minutes ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

There may be some truth to that on the high-mileage trucks, for sure. For me, I see every component having all those miles! LOL! Bearings, bushings, seats, springs, etc. Basically, I stay away from them if at all possible. Getting the 100k is one thing, but I'm not into the 200k club unless I've owned it and maintained it the whole time.

I agree, just have to be vigilant. I was figuring those high mileage diesels would be more likely to have needed much of those components replaced in it's lifetime. Even a tranny or two. Should be able to tell or have paperwork. Otherwise walk away. Heck, how many snow birds are actually using the 4wd? 

Any used diesel over 200k is falling into the area where injectors, fuel pumps, sensor issues all become suspect. You can put a  fresh crate engine in a gasser for not much more than the cost of your first major diesel repair. Just another viewpoint and longetivity comparison. The rest of the truck is the same regardless of powertrain. The Allison is strong but so is the old 6 speed. Lifespans are roughly equal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would buy a 200K mile gas LOOONG before any used diesel. 

Diesels start out with problems that gas engines develop later in life, and they only get worse with age, and cost orders of magnitudes more to fix. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 7:52 PM, Pastusak.t said:

Well from experience: I have a 2016 gas sle 2500 hd that I paid $40000 for. I just recently started looking at upgrading and got a trade value from my local dealer of $33500. 6500$ loss over 4 years isn’t too bad. Msrp when new was $51500.

Statistically used diesels will sell for more money than used gas but used gas will hold a higher percentage of original msrp than a diesel will. So people will always say diesel resale for more but realistically the gas holds more value. Do a comparison on kbb for any trim truck you desire and price it with a diesel and then a gas. The diesel will be about 6-7k more than the gas but that diesel cost 10k more when new.

So to update on this I just sold my truck private party today for $36,250. I paid $40,000 in sept 2016 for it. So I lost 3750 in almost 4 years. I’d say they hold value pretty well. Granted mine had 35000 miles and in excellent condition, but if you take care of them they will hold value very well. 

1 hour ago, Pastusak.t said:

So to update on this I just sold my truck private party today for $36,250. I paid $40,000 in sept 2016 for it. So I lost 3750 in almost 4 years. I’d say they hold value pretty well. Granted mine had 35000 miles and in excellent condition, but if you take care of them they will hold value very well. 

this is exactly why i bought brand new....used trucks just werent  worth what they wanted vs new and discounts

right now is even better if your selling used

• Like 1