What oil are you guys running ?

3 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

To each there own, just thought I would share. I have very little knowledge of oil and what defines a good oil. So I rely on those that know more. Personal choice.

Absolutely. Your motor, your choice. It's good to know your limitations. Personally, I don't practice medicine and know little about it. However I also know that a guy who is a Doctor might not actually be any good at it either. There is allot of information out there and much of it is junk.

How do you know when one of your kids is lying to you? Well you don't always but there are some red flags. Inconsistency is huge.

All I have is an opinion on this guy. No one needs to share it. If your comfortable......enjoy the ride. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

On 7/11/2020 at 6:42 PM, dieselfan1 said:

The 12 qt boxes of Mobil 1 have been on sale at Wally's.

$20 a box. ( It's in a bag inside a box) That's pretty hard to beat I don't care where you live.

189006_IMG_0284.jpg

Wow! That's the deal of the century! 

12 hours ago, scrapen said:

My only guess is that film strength may be a term for yield/shear stress of the oil "surface".  Similar to surface tension with water, i believe he is trying to find how much  it takes for the oil to "give way" for lack of better term.  Once that surface tension is lost you would begin to "break down" and lose thickness since less stress can break apart the molecules once the surface tension is broken.  But you are right, there are hundreds of oils out there that meet or exceed the minimum to keep an engine going in a regular daily driver.  

Let's remove the guess then. Investigate the Hersey number. Film thickness is the result of 1.) Absolute viscosity 2.) Velocity 3.) Load per unit length or   

(v * N) / P

The result of this equation is a ratio, a number without dimension, between the films thickness and the surface roughness of the object(s) being lubricated. This equation is used to define the Stribeck curve to graph lubrication regimes.

In the motor all parameters vary greatly thus does the Hersey number and the lubrication regime. Film thickness can be from under a micron (cam/follower - cylinder wall/rings) to several thousands of an inch (main bearing). 

The shear stress relationship is the very definition of viscosity. 

Shear viscosity

Featured snippet from the web

The property of a fluid to resist the growth of shear deformation is called viscosity. The form of the relation between shear stress and rate of strain depends on a fluid, and most common fluids obey Newton's law of viscosity, which states that the shear stress is proportional to the strain rate: τ = µ dγ dt.

ANY two bottles of any brand oil with the same absolute viscosity will have the same film thickness under the same conditions of test. Rat exceeds the P to reduce the ratio to near zero testing only the EP package.

A tricky part is the SAE viscosity is the apparent viscosity or viscosity / density. Absolute viscosity does not consider fluid density. Why is this relevant? 

Two fluids of the same apparent viscosity may have different densities thus different absolute viscosity. Among like fluids such as mineral oil to mineral oil the difference is so small as to not change the Hersey number in any significant manor. However, when comparing a mineral oil to say a POE the difference is enough to create one full unit SAE of difference. 

That is a POE of W20 will have the same film thickness as a mineral W30 even though they have the same viscosity cPs.

This is how I know he test at P so high so as to rupture ANY film. If he did not QSUD would not be at the top of his list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2020 at 8:06 PM, NE18 said:

Hey Grumpy, being one of the Amsoil disciples, what’s your opinion on their OE and XL branded oils?

First lets get this straight. Not an AMSOIL disciple. But I am a huge fan of PAO/POE blended base oils of which there are exceedingly few off. AMSOIL SS is one of them. I also use Red Line HP products and a few other less well known brands. I currently use what I use based on the pricing currently being offered with preferred membership. 

I have no specific opinion on these two oils you reference nor the Professional series Red Line released in the black bottles as I have no first hand knowledge of their base oil content. Such is the case more often than not. But I do know I won't buy a pig in a poke. If there unwilling to be transparent I'm unwilling to buy. 

I would use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as they are quite transparent. Hold up there is it cost as much as a PAO/POE. But in a pinch.... 

20.00$ for this?  Really.....they retail for 54.00?
That's what I paid about a month ago. I couldn't believe it either. Not sure if they still have it that cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

That's what I paid about a month ago. I couldn't believe it either. Not sure if they still have it that cheap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nice score!  I would have bought 2qty too!

• 4 weeks later...