What oil are you guys running ?

10 minutes ago, newdude said:

Its the weirdest thing!  I went to Walmart to get 5 quart jugs last month and this month, and they don't stock it anymore.  I don't get it.  I might have to go back to Pennzoil Platinum...  

Maybe a new formulation soon to be released?

i cannot recall who owns who, Shell or Pennzoil, but maybe one was outselling the other and they decided to reduce inventory sku?

no idea

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, DeathByNissan55 said:

I did Driven DI30.  saw some racers using it, says has good protection against some of the downfalls of direct injection engines.

I keep forgetting to check if dexos approved, worst case I lose a lil fuel economy.

Did oil analysis on factory oil on first change, will do another oil analysis after oil change coming up, see if there's any difference in contaminants.

I'm going off the computer as well for oil change intervals.

I plan to post report comparison.

Attached is the comparison of Driven brand DI30 to whatever 0W20 (hopefully synthetic) chevy dealer would put in when they do oil change prior to sale.

Daily driven around 50 miles a day, no towing nor moderately/heavily loaded bed.  I dont beat on it often either.  If it matters, I run premium as well.

DI30 definitely delivers for reduction in fuel content in oil as advertised.

Was hoping to run around 10000 miles, but seems with how I daily drive ~7000miles is all it will do with this engine before it starts breaking down.  Again, changed this based on engine computer indication %.

Sent this to Driven to get their thoughts, will post that when I get a response.

SH873320091418330.pdf

Edited by DeathByNissan55

1 hour ago, DeathByNissan55 said:

Attached is the comparison of Driven brand DI30 to whatever 0W20 (hopefully synthetic) chevy dealer would put in when they do oil change prior to sale.

SH873320091418330.pdf 125.65 kB · 2 downloads

I don't see in this report the miles driving on these oils. 

2 hours ago, DeathByNissan55 said:

Daily driven around 50 miles a day, no towing nor moderately/heavily loaded bed.  I dont beat on it often either.  If it matters, I run premium as well.

DI30 definitely delivers for reduction in fuel content in oil as advertised.

Was hoping to run around 10000 miles, but seems with how I daily drive ~7000miles is all it will do with this engine before it starts breaking down.  Again, changed this based on engine computer indication %.

Sent this to Driven to get their thoughts, will post that when I get a response.

SH873320091418330.pdf 125.65 kB · 5 downloads

You put 57,000 miles on in 5 months?

8 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

You put 57,000 miles on in 5 months?

Maybe it's too blurry, but it's roughly 7000 miles between 1st and 3rd column from the left.

1st column is latest (DI30 oil), 3rd column is first oil change, it came with 0w20 dealer oil.

2nd column is what's typical of factory oil for this engine.

Since dealer did first oil change, sample from 3/1 was roughly 7300 miles.

Hope that makes better sense!

Edited by DeathByNissan55

• 4 months later...

Harvest King 0w20 synthetic with a good filter (K&N, Fram UG, Purolator Boss) every 5k.

5 qts is 14.99,  last batch was on Sale 11.99.  Can’t beat it.   I was using Pennzoil Platinum for a while but found oil pressure drops after like 3k-  guessing it thins out.

90k miles.  No oil usage yet.

Clean oil with a decent filter is key.   Not sure brand matters as much as people think.

4 hours ago, SuperOldSchool said:

Harvest King 0w20 synthetic

https://ballisticparts.com/harvest-king-synthetic-oil-review/

Another Warren Oil Product that can be added to the list:

Supertech

Amazon Basics

COSTCO Kirkland

Harvest King

MAG 1

ITASCA

Warren

LubriGold

COASTAL

Gold Band

What you need to remember about Warren is the are a BLENDER and not a Refiner. They buy base oils from several sources. CITCO and Chevron among them. The blend to an 'order' so these oils are not all the same 'product' and do vary in both base and add package. FYI. 

3 hours ago, SuperOldSchool said:

Yes, totally understood.

That said, any of those syns would be fine for a 5k interval with a quality filter.   BITOG has a mind numbing amount of info.  I wouldn’t run it 10k necessarily, but 5k works for me.

I ran Quaker State Ultimate Durability in the wife's Terrain 2.4 changing it and a WIX filter until the rings gummed up and it started drinking oil like I owned a well. Quart every 500-600 miles. About every tank of fuel. 

After a protracted fight, upper cylinder soaks, crankcase flushes repeatedly I managed to get the rings freed and consumption to around half a pint per 6,000 miles (prorated). 

Once bitten, twice shy.

It now lives on a diet of COSTCO Kirkland and a Purolator Pure One changed every 2,500 miles. The second of these motors in a Buick Verano is on AMSOIL SS every 5K or once a year. Only 14K on the clock but trying not to repeat my mistakes. 

On 8/20/2020 at 10:36 AM, Fsu11 said:

I know this is about what oil, but since it goes hand in hand what filters do you guys recommend? I have a feeling its equally important.

First time I commented on this post I do so answering the question but ignoring that last sentence. 

What oil? What filter? How long? All trees in a forest one stands to close to see them all clearly. 

Sorry Jason.

There are other trees in the forest. How each one is viewed can and will determine the answer to another. 

What service, that is how is it used and does that use vary? What maintenance? What fuel type? Average ambient conditions? What personal expectations do you have on service life? Operating cost? Reliability, which is different that service life, think about it. How do you measure 'time'? Miles? Hours? Months? Yearly? Gallons of fuel consumed? 

Here's a big one...  What is you personal skill set regarding any and all of the above?

How well do you understand each variable and it's effect on others?

How much of yourself are you willing to invest in any of this?

As silly as this may sound ask yourself,

"How do I know when it's time to buy new socks"?

"What are the best socks/"

Same rules apply.