What oil are you guys running ?

After much research, Shell Rotella Gas Truck motor oil and Wix/Wix XP oil filters (same as Napa Gold/Napa Platinum) currently used here. 

[Formerly used Pennzoil conventional, Pennzoil Gold, Pennzoil Platinum, and Quaker State Ultimate Durability with AC Delco filters.  Quit using the ACD oil filters when they switched to the cheap "E-core" ones with plastic cages and cardboard end caps inside made for easier recycling over quality filtering (the ones that end with an "E".)]

10 minutes ago, imiller1974 said:

I wonder how many dumbass threads like this one are posted on this site? What oil? What trans fluid? What tires? What filter? No wonder all the good members, with good content, hauled ass from here...

Too lazy to look around the site for answers. Younger crowd I bet. 

:)

6 hours ago, Fsu11 said:

I know this is about what oil, but since it goes hand in hand what filters do you guys recommend? I have a feeling its equally important.

Purolator One or BOSS is my first choice. AMSOIL Ea second and WIX GOLD when I can't find or get one of the first two. 

It really hard to get at the truth sometimes and marketing likes to make a game of things. But you can 'backdoor' the information by having included in your UOA's the cleanliness test ISO 4406 and ask that they include the raw data. Blackstone does this. Filters job is to filter. Cleanest oil wins. Remember, apples to apples. Same oil, same OCI ane so on.

There is what they say it will do and then there is what it does. And of course there is 'good enough'. 

23 minutes ago, imiller1974 said:

I wonder how many dumbass threads like this one are posted on this site? What oil? What trans fluid? What tires? What filter? No wonder all the good members, with good content, hauled ass from here...

Not everyone realizes the search function works like a charm but not everyone needs an unnecessary berating either.

3 hours ago, imiller1974 said:

No wonder all the good members, with good content, hauled ass from here...

feel free to post some good information or do some truck builds show us your skills or products. i'm way too busy with work to buld a truck. all the old members leased their trucks probably driving ugly T1's now or Ram trucks.

3 hours ago, xSHIFTxNASTYx said:

Not everyone realizes the search function works like a charm but not everyone needs an unnecessary berating either.

i am disappointed in the search function, its not that good, even at finding old post you know exhist on here.  maybe  you can make a video on how to use it correctly  'cause i aint got no skills with it

Edited by flyingfool

6 hours ago, imiller1974 said:

So what is your contribution? ?

Personally I found searching google with “k2xx” works very well for specific threads for our trucks on this site.

Maybe it should be proposed to sticky a thread about oil, as it drove people insane on the forum for my car (especially since they found a correlation with excessive cam wear with oil used on one engine).6d9e8a88537526d1d2168219f839dd67.jpg

They have a dedicated section for fuels and lubricants.

Some stickied threads include “Amsoil only” and a Blackstone thread where it has been active since 06 with users posting their results.

Then maybe there could be one giant thread these newbies can scroll through ahead of time before asking more specific questions.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 8:53 AM, newdude said:

Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0w20 now but I was running Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 on my first two oil changes, and ran that in my 2015 HD and the Euro L for my Colorado Diesel.  

Good stuff and Advanced Auto is clearing out their inventory, $2.49 a quart :)

46 minutes ago, 14burrito said:

Good stuff and Advanced Auto is clearing out their inventory, $2.49 a quart :)

Its the weirdest thing!  I went to Walmart to get 5 quart jugs last month and this month, and they don't stock it anymore.  I don't get it.  I might have to go back to Pennzoil Platinum...  

Edited by newdude