Question for the Crew Cab owners on build quality coming from Mexico

I'm a retired GM autoworker that has always had a bug up my butt about foriegn made vehicles. I'm in the market for a Sierra SLT crew cab but a little reluctant about assembled in Mexico. I see a lot of Sierra/Silverado CC's on the road, they all look nice. I'm sure GM holds them to the same standards as the US plants, I need some reassurance.  I had located the a truck but that first number on the VIN 3 just makes me a little leary.

I think certain models are only made in Mexico, so depending on what you want to buy that could factor in to your decision.

I have had my 2020 Silverado 1500 RST Z71 diesel for just 1 week and I have no complaints so far.  Not much of a sample size, I know.  I drove a 2010 Tundra CrewMax (manufactured in Texas) for 10 years before this so I am appreciating some of the newer features and refinement of a new truck.

I had a 2000 Silverado 1500 many years ago, and I believe that was manufactured in Ontario, Canada.  It really is a global marketplace.  I can understand your loyalty to American-made but I am willing to bet the clothes on your back and the shoes on your feet were made overseas.  If you find the truck that you really like, I would not let the place of manufacture cloud your decision making.

20200724_174604.jpg

• Like 1

My truck VIN starts with 3. I haven't ever noticed any issue that I would attribute to built quality.

Design, on the other hand, there are a few questions I have, but that is another topic.

• Like 3

Mine is a Mexico truck, no problems and I wouldnt expect any either.  If you've ever toured a modern manufacturing facility you would see that 95% of the assembly is robotic controlled.  Standards are standards, and they have to be met.  A Mexican pushing a button vs an American pushing a button has ZERO affect on the outcome of the build.

• Like 1

I have one made in the US and have had tons of problems with it. I dont think one factory over the other is really superior. That is just my opinion based entirely on my experience so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This topic has been previously discussed on here many, many times.  I was leery of it at first, too, but the only problems on our Silao, Mexico built Silverado crew cab have been from the American-made parts failing before their time and from the American dealers being able to correctly diagnose and fix the problems in a timely and cost-effective manner.   

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

My 2019 was made in Fort Wayne, my 2014 and 2016 were both made at Silao. Any build quality differences are negligible. I specifically sought out a 1 VIN when purchasing this truck, not because I feared issues with a Mexican assembled vehicle nor because I have any animus towards the Mexican people, but because I prefer to support my countrymen given the opportunity. I see that "Fort Wayne Assembly" sticker inside the door jamb every time I hop in my truck, and it puts a little smile on my face. When I bought the previous two, nearly all 1500 Crew Cabs were made in Mexico, so I didn't have much of a choice unless I wanted to switch brands, which I didn't. 

53 minutes ago, jlong1984 said:

My 2019 was made in Fort Wayne, my 2014 and 2016 were both made at Silao. Any build quality differences are negligible. I specifically sought out a 1 VIN when purchasing this truck, not because I feared issues with a Mexican assembled vehicle nor because I have any animus towards the Mexican people, but because I prefer to support my countrymen given the opportunity. I see that "Fort Wayne Assembly" sticker inside the door jamb every time I hop in my truck, and it puts a little smile on my face. When I bought the previous two, nearly all 1500 Crew Cabs were made in Mexico, so I didn't have much of a choice unless I wanted to switch brands, which I didn't. 

You hit my point exactly . I want to support American workers, after all I was one of them. Quality really shouldn't be  the issue if they work the Mexicans to the standards  they worked us at. I guess I'm at the mercy. I found a couple CC's assembled in the US. One was sold before I got to it. The others didn't have the right equiptment

I think Toyota makes a ton of trucks here in the U.S., if you are looking to support American workers. Still going to American companies if you buy domestic, though.

Edit: This topic got me thinking. When you look at the big picture, a lot of these companies, be it tech, automotive, home, manufacture elsewhere. We either aren't as fluid in the manufacturing process, are more expensive to accomplish manufacturing which would make the price increase, or our own quality standards aren't as good (this is mainly regarding tech). We live in such a global economy, which is on full display with this pandemic. The only automaker who assembles 100% in the U.S. is Tesla. 

Always good to support your values with your $$. For me, I buy Japanese cars and American trucks. It's really interesting to see the amount of American workers Toyota supports, especially around their new hq in Plano.

Edited by 2020SilveradoCC

My 2020 from Ft. Wayne ...  apparently balancing tires is not a high priority item.  Only 1 of 4 was balanced properly. 

Tire guy said 1 of the 3 out of balance was way out in left field.

Multiple Silao trucks since 2011.  The first Mexican produced truck I was somewhat leery of, but it turned out to be a good vehicle.  To be honest I really haven't had a bad truck with 3 as its origin.  It seems like all the crew cabs in my area are almost always Mexican produced vehicles

Edited by Foghorn19