Who has a Custom and How do you like it?

Just like the title says, how do you like your Custom trimmed 2020 HD?  Specifically do you miss any features that you had in your LT trimmed truck if you had one previous?

I am asking because I am struggling mightily to find a used HD that I want to buy... The shortage of trucks has driven prices WAY up around home and I just don't like the idea of giving that much money for a used truck...  I have been leasing for the past several years but we have out grown the 1/2 ton double cab truck and I am looking to get into a 3/4 ton.  The lack of a trade in is a real killer in the payment department but the CUSTOM HD my dealer has on the way is more affordable w/ a reasonable amount of options so I don't feel like I am driving a Plain Jane work truck.  

I do.  I had a z71 Colorado and upgraded to the 2020 2500HD Custom.  I needed it for towing.  I thought I'd miss some of the features such as the upgraded DLC or heated seats, but I really don't miss anything at all.  In fact I sort of love the simplicity.

• Like 1

Had to jump on this string, there is a lot to the different trim levels these days with all of the electronics and gadgets, and there is good/bad with the Custom trim level.  Up front: I’m bias.  I really like my Custom. I bought it knowing I was going aftermarket with some things. 

I haven’t owned an LTZ to contrast with my Custom but I have fairly well equipped vehicles.  There are some things I’ve added to my Custom, and I think that was part of the draw at the end of the day: I’d add what I want, nothing I didn’t.

I almost bought an LTZ for $53k up in Washington, a fair little drive from Portland. Literally ready to go, financing set (I have 8xx credit) and a massive cashier’s check and they said I, “couldn’t take it off the lot” because of some type of cross-state issue that I can’t even remember at this point. I was pretty pissed at 9PM at night there at the dealership and come away thinking it had more to do with the deal I was getting than anything else.

Either way, I’d been looking at LTZ’s for weeks. I’d found one with everything short of the electronics package that includes the heads-up display. That LTZ had heated steering, seats, sunroof, and the kicker stereo upgrade, and a few other things.  After not getting it, I was pretty bummed but played on. 

When I found a Custom, it really looked more like what I wanted externally. I’m not a fan of chrome, and the Custom comes with a lot of blacked out parts and pieces like the bumper, handles, etc.  The interior is the same way, it’s plastic but it’s dark grey, nearly black.  I like that too, wish more interiors were dark/black and without a lot of chrome. The only chrome it has really is what I’ve removed – got a few debadging pics in another thread to take off the Silverado, Custom, and 2500 HD…  There is something more rugged about the simplistic interior, the gauge cluster, etc. 

What I like:

• Didn’t pay for things I’m not interested in like all the lane assist, alert stuff that come with vehicles these days.  I wanted also some pretty ridiculous AMP Powersteps.  They weren’t cheap, saves me from selling/scrapping something I didn’t want on the rig.
  • Blacked-out exterior trim
  • Simplistic blacked out interior trim
  • I did like the few things it did come with:
    • Remote start
    • Tinted windows
    • Bed lights
    • Retractable mirrors
    • Good looking stock rims.  Good grief, if only all carmakers could figure this out…

What I don’t like about the Custom trim level:

• No leather seats, heated.
  • No leather steering wheel, heated. 

And… I’ll only add this because the option to have powered seats do go up/down – the stock seat position could be better.  It’s low.  Really low.  I’ve since added risers since the cloth seats to go up/down, but the Silverado’s really do sit you low in the cab.  I’m a hair over 6’, and usually feel too big for seats if anything. 

So that’s the deal.  I think it boiled down to the blackout look and the fact that I’m looking to go aftermarket on some things.   

Now, leather seats (powered, heated) are turning out to be much more of a PITA than I expected because of the electronics, i.e. the passenger airbag detection and generally playing with airbag deletes if/when I go the aftermarket.  With the computer integration, I don’t think I can just add OEM heated leather anything later (like from Ebay or local parts yard) without taking it to the dealership to get programmed – I think what I’ve read says that both heaters are connected to the CPU, not stand-alone units.  I’m not sure if the Custom trim CPU can add leather stuff.

And, I’m in Oregon.  It’s not COLD cold here, but it rains every freaking day and makes the few actual cold winter months seem longer than what they are.  Heated stuff is nice.  And, I’m getting old so whatever.  If I lived in Arizona, probably wouldn’t care about leather. 

Edited by ROOK Lucky 13
edited bullets

Main thing I miss is being able to control the volume or scroll the radio without looking away from the road. Stereo is crappy for FM, but the phone calls sound good thought the wifi. Music played off my cell sounds pretty good too. I also prefer the blacked out look. I hate plastic chrome. Plastic wood and chrome make me think of an 84 Delta 88. I have an upfitter switch kit to add and will be getting fog lights to power off that. Overall, I bought it for the mechanical options over creature comforts. Plow prep package, spray in bed liner, tow package and locking rear, powder coated stainless side steps/nerf bars. Tint, remote start, bed lights, folding mirrors with added lighting, remote tailgate lowering, windows lowering with fob if needed.

Also, I didn't need the nav radio. Waze works just fine. I haven't seen any of the electronic issues in many of the complaint threads on here or in the 1500 section. I miss the sliding rear for the dogs, but sounds like I dodged a bullet be getting a solid rear window. Im happy to be back into a split bench aside from the lack of console storage. Front and rear AC plugs could be handy down the road. Looks like 2021 still keeps the HDMI cable necessary to run you nav apps from the phone. Pretty chincey.

• Like 1

thought long and hard between custom and LT.....last august bought a RST 1500 and same questions arose as did 2500 i bought in april.......i had to have storage on center armrest, stereo on wheel is really nice and i also got steering wheel and heated seats....i ddint care for stock rims on custom and really price difference is only like $1600 between the 2....obviously if you add pkgs price rose....but for sure are gonna get the conv pkg on either so bit of a wash and i have the conv 2 on LT but didnt need it.....if custom just had few things i would have bought one but didnt want to hassle with aftermarket and i love heated seats and wheel come winter.....i dont need an LTZ or HC but few features is nice and pricetag was still reasonable so i went with LT.....

if custom just had a few more things ( different for everyone) i would have gone with one....

i did want power seat as they are really low (learned that from 1500) navigation not needed for me, would have liked a bucket seat but didnt have any around.....the money they get for these high end end models is crazy and i would destroy them anyway.....even mine i am trying to be careful while working

just depends on what you really need or want and deal you can get..... another dealer wanted more $$$ for a custom than my LT so it worked out for me.....either way truck is same minus few gadgets....

Edited by Dunn

I bought a 2020 Custom Trail Boss in April.  I owned a higher level trim SUV prior.  Several friends & family have LT or LTZ trim Silverados.

Bottom line, I love my Custom!  

I was a replacing a non-Chevy full size SUV that served our family very well, but finally wore out.  I wanted a truck to take on some rough fire road to go camping, fishing and shooting.  I also had a limited budget from my wife.  My priorities were getting a V8, 4x4, and I really liked the Trail Boss suspension and tires upgrade over the regular Z71 package.  I chose to spend my money on those features and extending the warranty in case I break something "on paved roads" rather than a Z71 LT trim.  I could get a Custom Trail Boss with V8 for about the same as a 4x4 All American LT.

The most important interior features I was looking for were Apple CarPlay, bench seat in the front to carry 6 people (we are a family of 5 with a dog), and cloth seats.

I agree with what Don wrote above, the steering wheel controls are what I miss compared to the LT.  I miss controls of the radio, and answering phone calls.  I also miss the controls for the Driver Information Center (DIC).  I find that I am often switching around to see the fuel range and tranny temp when I am on a longer trip, or hauling stuff up a mountain road.  With the Custom I have to reach through the steering wheel to turn the knob by the gauges.

The other features that are not on the Custom, which I really don't care about, but would be "luxuries" for me are the keyless fob, heated seats, and center bench seat storage.  The 8" infotainment screen in an LT has the ability to add an aftermarket  front camera to help with parking and driving over obstacles.  The 7" screen on the Custom does not.  I found a wireless back-up camera/display at Costco that I put on the front license plate for $130 and it works fine for me.  The stereo speakers on the Custom are not the greatest, buts still far better than almost every car I drove for 20+ years.  I have had cars and SUVs with automatic HVAC, and found that I don't really need it.  The HVAC system on my Custom works just fine.

A major factor between the Custom and the LT, at least in the 1500 series, is whether you get the latest technology in the engine and transmission.  I was only looking at the V8.  The Custom has the older technology cylinder turn off ( I get the letters AFM and DFM confused which is newer) and a 6 speed tranny.  The LT has the newer cylinder management, auto engine start/stop, and 8 speed tranny.  This means the LT get better fuel efficiency.  While I appreciate the better efficiency, I don't drive enough for this to be worth the increased up front cost.  Getting the Silverado was already a big improvement over my prior SUV for gas mileage.  This may not be a factor in the HD series of trucks because I don't know the drive train options.  While I am confident the bugs have been worked out on the new engine and tranny, I wanted to also stick with the drive train that had been on the market for many years.  I am planning to keep this truck for a decade or more, and wanted to minimize things going wrong after the warranty expires.  So I consciously chose the 2015(?) technology over the 2019 technology

I would still choose the Custom over the LT based on the features that I wanted in the truck.  I think this is mainly a personal preference, and knowing what you need.  My priority was having a stock suspension and tires that could make driving on fire roads more fun and comfortable, hence why I got the Trail Boss package.  If you are getting the HD package, I am guessing there is a lot of payload and towing for you.  I did not prioritize the interior amenities or the latest technology in the engine and tranny.

The Custom has all the amenities I needed, and no surplus.  I think it is a great trim level, and keeps the truck feeling like a tuck to get dirty and have fun in.  I didn't want it to feel like a Cadillac that you obsess to keep perfect.

1 hour ago, BigTrent said:

I agree with what Don wrote above, the steering wheel controls are what I miss compared to the LT.  I miss controls of the radio, and answering phone calls.  I also miss the controls for the Driver Information Center (DIC).  I find that I am often switching around to see the fuel range and tranny temp when I am on a longer trip, or hauling stuff up a mountain road.  With the Custom I have to reach through the steering wheel to turn the knob by the gauges.

Steering wheel controls are a good call.  They should be standard on vehicles at this point, let alone a vehicle that costs $43k (even if that is the base model).

The center console has been hot topic too. It sounds like future models will all have storage, not sure if that means jumpseat is gone or if they're just putting a wallet sized compartment on it.

On 7/30/2020 at 1:38 PM, ROOK Lucky 13 said:

Steering wheel controls are a good call.  They should be standard on vehicles at this point, let alone a vehicle that costs $43k (even if that is the base model).

The center console has been hot topic too. It sounds like future models will all have storage, not sure if that means jumpseat is gone or if they're just putting a wallet sized compartment on it.

Its definitely a budget driven purchase for me... I want a 3/4 ton but I'm on a shoestring w/o a trade in so I'm shopping for the most truck I can get for the money I have.  I know I will miss the steering wheel controlled radio but I have fairly long arms so I'll live.  The lack of storage in the center console is a bummer but I was told I could purchase an LT center console and it will bolt right in.  I like the idea of 6 seats but I will rarely use that many.

29 minutes ago, edgexcsp said:

Its definitely a budget driven purchase for me... I want a 3/4 ton but I'm on a shoestring w/o a trade in so I'm shopping for the most truck I can get for the money I have.  I know I will miss the steering wheel controlled radio but I have fairly long arms so I'll live.  The lack of storage in the center console is a bummer but I was told I could purchase an LT center console and it will bolt right in.  I like the idea of 6 seats but I will rarely use that many.

The LT uses the same 40/20/40 seat the custom does except it has a compartment that opens, so you could keep the truck as a 6 seater, i would think you only need to change the seat back/armrest section but I don't know how easy it unbolts from the seat part 

On 7/30/2020 at 9:29 AM, BigTrent said:

I bought a 2020 Custom Trail Boss in April.  I owned a higher level trim SUV prior.  Several friends & family have LT or LTZ trim Silverados.

Bottom line, I love my Custom!  

I was a replacing a non-Chevy full size SUV that served our family very well, but finally wore out.  I wanted a truck to take on some rough fire road to go camping, fishing and shooting.  I also had a limited budget from my wife.  My priorities were getting a V8, 4x4, and I really liked the Trail Boss suspension and tires upgrade over the regular Z71 package.  I chose to spend my money on those features and extending the warranty in case I break something "on paved roads" rather than a Z71 LT trim.  I could get a Custom Trail Boss with V8 for about the same as a 4x4 All American LT.

The most important interior features I was looking for were Apple CarPlay, bench seat in the front to carry 6 people (we are a family of 5 with a dog), and cloth seats.

The other features that are not on the Custom, which I really don't care about, but would be "luxuries" for me are the keyless fob, heated seats, and center bench seat storage.  The 8" infotainment screen in an LT has the ability to add an aftermarket  front camera to help with parking and driving over obstacles.  The 7" screen on the Custom does not.  I found a wireless back-up camera/display at Costco that I put on the front license plate for $130 and it works fine for me.  The stereo speakers on the Custom are not the greatest, buts still far better than almost every car I drove for 20+ years.  I have had cars and SUVs with automatic HVAC, and found that I don't really need it.  The HVAC system on my Custom works just fine.

A major factor between the Custom and the LT, at least in the 1500 series, is whether you get the latest technology in the engine and transmission.  I was only looking at the V8.  The Custom has the older technology cylinder turn off ( I get the letters AFM and DFM confused which is newer) and a 6 speed tranny.  The LT has the newer cylinder management, auto engine start/stop, and 8 speed tranny.  This means the LT get better fuel efficiency.  While I appreciate the better efficiency, I don't drive enough for this to be worth the increased up front cost.  Getting the Silverado was already a big improvement over my prior SUV for gas mileage.  This may not be a factor in the HD series of trucks because I don't know the drive train options.  While I am confident the bugs have been worked out on the new engine and tranny, I wanted to also stick with the drive train that had been on the market for many years.  I am planning to keep this truck for a decade or more, and wanted to minimize things going wrong after the warranty expires.  So I consciously chose the 2015(?) technology over the 2019 technology

I would still choose the Custom over the LT based on the features that I wanted in the truck.  I think this is mainly a personal preference, and knowing what you need.  My priority was having a stock suspension and tires that could make driving on fire roads more fun and comfortable, hence why I got the Trail Boss package.  If you are getting the HD package, I am guessing there is a lot of payload and towing for you.  I did not prioritize the interior amenities or the latest technology in the engine and tranny.

The Custom has all the amenities I needed, and no surplus.  I think it is a great trim level, and keeps the truck feeling like a tuck to get dirty and have fun in.  I didn't want it to feel like a Cadillac that you obsess to keep perfect.

those are engines for 1500s not same for 2500s