3.0 or 6.2 for these needs.

Family hauler - flat highway traveling at 65-70 mph

Reliability - first year engine or proven gas engine?

Towing - 18-22' travel travel up within the state of California. For those that don't know, max speed with three axles in CA is 55 mph. I'll maaaaaayyybbbeee tow 1/2 dozen times per year to the coast and up to Sierra Nevada mountains. Highest elevation would be 6,000 ft at the peak. Is the exhaust break on the 3.0 within tow haul mode that helpful? Would I even notice it with a light weight travel trailer of 4500-5500 lbs? 

Mileage per year - This would be my weekend warrior so to speak, I'll probably driver it 4-8,000 miles per year. Any issues with the diesel vs gas sitting a lot of its time?

Resale - I know, it's hard to say due to the unknown of where the 3.0 will be 5 years from now. 

I really like the mileage reports of the 3.0's so far (and it would be my first diesel and I think that's kinda cool) and know it'll exceed the 6.2. Fuel costs are roughly the same in California right now, and obviously wouldn't have to worry about the cost of DEF. But I do have like the fact the 6.2 has a longer history. 

So based off this information; which would you choose and why?

To each his own, but from your description the 6.2 seems like a better option. In no particular order because they vary based on preference, Reasons people opt for the diesel include 1) Fuel economy - you drive very little 2) Towing 4k to 7k on a regular basis  - you tow very little 3) Low end torque - the 6.2 matches up 4) Resale the 6.2 does well 5) There is a group of people who believe the new diesels with emissions need to be driven longer distances to heat up enough to burn off carbon. Short trips will result in more frequent regents. So, using the trucks for short (less than 5 mile trips) the advantage may go 6.2. 6) Initial Cost wise it’s a wash and 7) reliability wise I’d say the 6.2 is a proven motor but the Duramax gets a 100k warranty. For you though your likely not to exceed the 5 year 60k Powertrain warranty anyway.  
Haha but with all that said I’m getting the diesel because I want one.  I Make long highway drives and would love to see 25 MPG on those trips, even if I pay more for diesel, def, and oil changes. 

6.2l all day long. I did drive the baby duramax last week at dealership. It's nice and quiet, but is no where near as snappy as a 6.2L, but very stout for a diesel compared to the Ford or Ram diesels.  The MPGs are great in the 3.0L, but my 6.2L is now getting 21.5 mpgs on the highway. Finally cracking the 20 mpgs.  My 2018 6.2L would attain 23 to 24 mpgs all day long running 70 mph since the first day I bought it. 

In my honest opinion though, you couldn't go wrong with either one, because gas wise, even though you can use 87 or 89 in a 6.2L, I always put premium in it because it what gives it the most performance. Around here in Midwest premium and diesel are about the same price. $2.79/gal

Good luck with your decision!!

2 hours ago, lrtexasman said:

To each his own, but from your description the 6.2 seems like a better option. In no particular order because they vary based on preference, Reasons people opt for the diesel include 1) Fuel economy - you drive very little 2) Towing 4k to 7k on a regular basis  - you tow very little 3) Low end torque - the 6.2 matches up 4) Resale the 6.2 does well 5) There is a group of people who believe the new diesels with emissions need to be driven longer distances to heat up enough to burn off carbon. Short trips will result in more frequent regents. So, using the trucks for short (less than 5 mile trips) the advantage may go 6.2. 6) Initial Cost wise it’s a wash and 7) reliability wise I’d say the 6.2 is a proven motor but the Duramax gets a 100k warranty. For you though your likely not to exceed the 5 year 60k Powertrain warranty anyway.  
Haha but with all that said I’m getting the diesel because I want one.  I Make long highway drives and would love to see 25 MPG on those trips, even if I pay more for diesel, def, and oil changes. 

The mileage I do put on the truck, are probably 80% highway miles. Going to see in-laws or going hunting/fishing spots. But I too have heard about the short trips not being ideal for any new diesel. 

2 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

6.2l all day long. I did drive the baby duramax last week at dealership. It's nice and quiet, but is no where near as snappy as a 6.2L, but very stout for a diesel compared to the Ford or Ram diesels.  The MPGs are great in the 3.0L, but my 6.2L is now getting 21.5 mpgs on the highway. Finally cracking the 20 mpgs.  My 2018 6.2L would attain 23 to 24 mpgs all day long running 70 mph since the first day I bought it. 

In my honest opinion though, you couldn't go wrong with either one, because gas wise, even though you can use 87 or 89 in a 6.2L, I always put premium in it because it what gives it the most performance. Around here in Midwest premium and diesel are about the same price. $2.79/gal

Good luck with your decision!!

I’m seeing the 3.0 guys posting 30+ on the highway and I think that’s pretty fascinating for a 1/2 ton. However, I’d be really happy with 23-24 with the 6.2 going 70 mpg down the flat highways we have in CA too. 

1 hour ago, Z71RAD88 said:

I’m seeing the 3.0 guys posting 30+ on the highway and I think that’s pretty fascinating for a 1/2 ton. However, I’d be really happy with 23-24 with the 6.2 going 70 mpg down the flat highways we have in CA too. 

Ya, totally agree with MPG's on the 3.0L.  Guy at dealership told me a guy he knew did test run on one in Oregon with mirrors folded in and went 55 to 60 and achieved over 40 MPG's.

I do miss my 2018 MPGs. That truck just got excellent FE, but the 8 spd drove me nuts with it's 1st and 2nd gear clunking and hard shifting. I had it in the shop for GM to look over 5 times. They reprogrammed it, but refused to change fluid in it, said it was normal??, so I traded it for the left over 2019. This new 2019 is super smooth and it's finally getting decent mileage compared to what I was getting when I first bought it. It was around 17 mpgs. Was very disappointed in it. At first this has been the only truck I felt guilty buying because I truly loved the 2018 in every way except for that dang clunking/hard shifting.  

Now, I am glad I switched, because these T1's are so much nicer, roomier, and livable then the K2's.

Again, either engine, you can't go wrong with in my opinion!  

Man tough decision. The good news is you really can’t go wrong as long as you get what you want, they will both be superb vehicles/engines. 

Because of your relatively low miles per year I’d give the edge to the 6.2 engine. Whether the 3.0 is ok or not with short trips or sitting... the 6.2 you wouldn’t even really think or worry about it.  Or having to worry about DEF refills while towing would be nice.

with that said, I love my 3.0 and super pleased with its performance for my needs. City driving, highway driving, towing ~6k lb trailer. I love driving into the diesel only wide lanes and not worrying about the other pumps with cars every which way + cars parked right in front of the store. I too have never had a Diesel engine before and I got it because it was “different” and I’ve really enjoyed it. It is plenty quick for me. 

my advice is gather all these recommendations, ponder it over, maybe there’s stuff you haven’t considered... then go test drive both of them. I promise you there will be one engine that hits you like “this is it”. Whether it be 3.0 or 6.2 listen to your gut and enjoy your truck!

ETA - check the size of fuel tank for both. I’m sure they’re the same but possibly bc the 3.0 has a def tank next to it, the fuel tank could be smaller. Mine is 24 gal and I wish it was larger. At the end of the day between my wife and our dogs we have to stop a lot anyways. But I’d love a larger tank to just drive and not worry. Calculate estimated fuel mileage X gallons the tank holds - buffer you want to refill at (obviously you won’t got to 0). 

Edited by Duramax3oh

I've owned a 2019 Chevy 6.2L and a 20 GMC 3.0L

I'll never go back to gas.  This diesel is the best thing since sliced bread.

I tow a cargo trailer regularly and a 8500lb boat.  

This  thing blows the 6.2 out of the water in every way EXCEPT holeshots from red lights.  If that's your thing, then get the 6.2L.  If real life needs are, diesel is the happy place.

Appreciate all the comments. Keep’em coming. I do think it’d be wise to test drive both. The 6.2 is, well, the 6.2 and I’ve yet to hear anyone complain about it. The 3.0 would allow me to dive into the diesel world and the curiosity is high and that makes it exciting because it’s something new. 

21 hours ago, Colossus said:

Both will do a great job but what will be cheaper, Diesel, or premium unleaded? 

'Here', recently, diesel is cheaper than regular.  And a lot cheaper than premium. 

Diesel about 8 or 10% less than regular. 

Premium about 25 - 30% more than regular.

Often, until the last few months, diesel has been about 10% more than regular -- so still quite a bit less than premium.

Having owned both, i would choose the 3.0L. But 6.2 was nice, i just like the torque of the 3.0L, and it seems more fun to drive to me.

Much happier with my 3.0!!! And the mileage is way better. My 3.0 i get close to 30 highway, and 18 city, my 6.2, was 23 highway, 13 city.

Drive em both and decide for yourself!

Good luck, 

Mike

On 8/12/2020 at 10:07 PM, Z71RAD88 said:

Greetings from Maine. You didn’t say if you were getting a 2wd or 4wd Silverado? Anyways 6.2l L87 all day! I have had my 2020 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab short box LTZ Z-71 with 20 inch all terrain tires for 5 weeks now. It now has 1100 miles on the odometer. On 2 road trips to a friends property up the coast from me. It’s 220 miles round trip. 75% highway 25% driving the speed limit through lazy coastal towns. 30-50 mph speed limits. Some sections of both roads can be hilly at times. I averaged over 24 mpg on both trips. 65-70 on the highway. Speed limit through the small lazy coastal towns. I also never drove it like I stole it. Until about 2 days ago. I’m now averaging 16 mpg combined on the current tank of 93 octane. I never knew combining a ginormous pickup truck with an absolutely awesome motor would create a truck that is an absolute blast to drive. This thing just coasts down the highway effortlessly. Plus. Premium fuel is cheap right now. It’s obvious I’m a 6.2l fan. But. Good luck in your decision. It’s your truck. Get it the way you want it and enjoy. 

1 hour ago, Chevyguy273 said:

Greetings from Maine. You didn’t say if you were getting a 2wd or 4wd Silverado? Anyways 6.2l L87 all day! I have had my 2020 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab short box LTZ Z-71 with 20 inch all terrain tires for 5 weeks now. It now has 1100 miles on the odometer. On 2 road trips to a friends property up the coast from me. It’s 220 miles round trip. 75% highway 25% driving the speed limit through lazy coastal towns. 30-50 mph speed limits. Some sections of both roads can be hilly at times. I averaged over 24 mpg on both trips. 65-70 on the highway. Speed limit through the small lazy coastal towns. I also never drove it like I stole it. Until about 2 days ago. I’m now averaging 16 mpg combined on the current tank of 93 octane. I never knew combining a ginormous pickup truck with an absolutely awesome motor would create a truck that is an absolute blast to drive. This thing just coasts down the highway effortlessly. Plus. Premium fuel is cheap right now. It’s obvious I’m a 6.2l fan. But. Good luck in your decision. It’s your truck. Get it the way you want it and enjoy. 

You are correct, I did not state if I was going to get 2wd or 4wd, but it’ll be 4WD. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your Highway experience. 24 mpg+ I’d be really happy with, especially what I get now on the highway.