Power steering whine

mine is noisey but its weird how "vague" the steering is vs a 1500.....wonder if LTZ and HC steering is better since they have the digital steering vs lower trims......the truck kinda "wanders" more on the road vs 1500....idk this is my first 2500 HD

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 8:29 PM, Dunn said:

mine is noisey but its weird how "vague" the steering is vs a 1500.....wonder if LTZ and HC steering is better since they have the digital steering vs lower trims......the truck kinda "wanders" more on the road vs 1500....idk this is my first 2500 HD

Mine is a LTZ, and it makes all kinds of noises. Sort of a whine, but also sounds like it’s sucking fluid. No physical issues driving, just 

the sound. 

• 1 month later...

Do any other 2020 6.6 gassers sound like the power steering pump came off of a 1995 Ford pickup besides mine

LOL had that exact thought maybe a week ago. Hadn't noticed that ford p/u whine before that time. truck has 2500 km on it now, I noticed the sound at or around 1500 to 1800 km.

My first thought was  I hoped gm hadn't found an old stash of ford PS pumps and used em up on these trucks. I have never heard that whine from a chev before.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 7:29 PM, Dunn said:

Perfect description of my truck. 

I have been back to the dealership three times for the steering.  Three alignments later, multiple tire rotations and It still wanders all over the road and still does not drive straight.

These trucks have steering issues.  You will see owners talking about it all over the forums with steering issues manifesting in many different ways.

I sure hope its not a safety issue.  Frankly, I dont know what else to do.

On 11/11/2020 at 1:23 PM, 6.6HD said:

Perfect description of my truck. 

I have been back to the dealership three times for the steering.  Three alignments later, multiple tire rotations and It still wanders all over the road and still does not drive straight.

These trucks have steering issues.  You will see owners talking about it all over the forums with steering issues manifesting in many different ways.

I sure hope its not a safety issue.  Frankly, I dont know what else to do.

they for sure dont steer  like a 1500...every 2500 owner ive known says same thing, ..mine feels fine just not as accurate as 1500 i came out of....its just the way they drive.....the more weight the better it gets

• 11 months later...

I have a 2020 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6 gas and it’s always had a power steering wine sound. I didn’t think much of it until today. Checked the fluid and it is on the add line. Wondering if it’s always been like that? Did it come off the line without enough steering fluid? That’s pretty annoying if that’s the case, but I’ll be picking some up tomorrow and filling it to where it needs to be. No sign of a leak or anything so really not sure what else to do. 

My 3500hd Sierra SLT tracks very nicely. I have the stock 18 inch wheels and Michelin LTX AT2 tires. It has 3000 miles on it. I hear a quiet noise that sounds like air in the system when maneuvering at idle. Above idle it stops. 

• 2 weeks later...

2020 2500

Steering, Recirculating Ball with smart flow power steering system  

Standard on Base/SLE/WT/Custom/LT

NV8    Steering, Digital Variable Steering Assist, this system automatically adjusts steering based on speed, road conditions, and other inputs to reduce driver effort and fatigue    -

Standard on SLT/AT4/Denali/LTZ/HighCountry

• 3 weeks later...

-I have a 22 Silverado 2500 LTZ 6.6 GAS and the noises at low speed or idle in drive are definitely not normal. I have what sounds like a quit fuzz or blown speaker in the area of the dash speaker on the drivers side. With all AC and radio off its still there. It disappears after it seems to shift out of first. Seems to react to the brake pedal slightly.

-When the truck is in park and you first push on the brake it "clicks loudly" and then clicks again right before you let off. Like one of those dog training clickers. Doesn't do it in drive.

-The Hill decent grinds and clicks all over the place!

-There is a loud whine in first gear that gets louder with the RPM

-Oh and the SD card keeps saying its removed until I remove it and put back in. I have made sure the "lock" on it is in the right position. this is random and not all the time. 

-I only have 450 miles on it, I was hoping these things would get better but I might have to take it in!

Edited by Wyman P

1 hour ago, Wyman P said:

-I have a 22 Silverado 2500 LTZ 6.6 GAS and the noises at low speed or idle in drive are definitely not normal. I have what sounds like a quit fuzz or blown speaker in the area of the dash speaker on the drivers side. With all AC and radio off its still there. It disappears after it seems to shift out of first. Seems to react to the brake pedal slightly.

-When the truck is in park and you first push on the brake it "clicks loudly" and then clicks again right before you let off. Like one of those dog training clickers. Doesn't do it in drive.

-The Hill decent grinds and clicks all over the place!

-There is a loud whine in first gear that gets louder with the RPM

-Oh and the SD card keeps saying its removed until I remove it and put back in. I have made sure the "lock" on it is in the right position. this is random and not all the time. 

-I only have 450 miles on it, I was hoping these things would get better but I might have to take it in!

1. The hissing or rushing sound sound at idle is normal for these trucks.  The noise is coming from power steering gear's valves.  There is nothing wrong functionality but does admit annoying sound.  Base steering gears are quieter but the electrically boosted hydraulic are louder for this.  There is not a fix for it.

2.  When you are in park, there is a component called BTSI that prevents you from shifting from park without applying the brake pedal.  This is a safety component that prevents young children putting a vehicle in gear.  The noise you hear is the solenoid cycling.  Not sure if your truck is louder than normal or you are used to something else.

3.  Hill descent control uses the ABS module to control.  Since you are not on brake pedal, abs pump needs to run to build pressure.  The cycling noise is the valves at each corner opening and closing to control vehicle speed.  Ever heard ABS during a panic stop? Should be similar noise.

Not sure about whine and SD card.  

#iworkforGM 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Wondering if anyone has had luck with some resolution on the whining noise?  I have a 2022 GMC 2500 6.6 gas and have both the power steering hydraulic rush noise and the whining noise.  Honestly its making me crazy.  Dealer has looked at it a couple times and had the local GM rep down and I'm told its "normal" and they are referencing the GM service document ID 5900971 that only covers the rushing noise and not the whine.  I have a case with GM and honestly couldn't be more disgusted with their customer service.   I had to chase them down for two weeks to even get a call back.  The customer service rep had not read anything on my case and offered no help.  Said she would contact the dealer and never did.  Spoke to her supervisor a week later and was basically told to go to another dealership.  He said I could not escalate further and could not speak with his supervisor.  Basically he was the end of the line.  I understand through my research there are a lot of trucks out their that don't have this whining noise.  Thanks in advance for any info anyone might have.