Sun roof or not?

Z71RAD88

I’ve never owned a truck with one and have always been against them but all the trucks I’m currently finding have one. Do I bite the bullet and get one with a sun roof? My concerns are; they leak and I’d be hearing wind noise going down the road. Again, never owned a vehicle with one so I’m completely ignorant to the topic. Thoughts for guys/gals who have them or ones that had them and now don’t? 

I've not read anything about the Silverados leaking and have never had one leak on any other vehicle that I have owned. I also barely ever use them when I have them so for me, it isn't worth it unless  it happens to come on a vehicle that I really want. Sunroofs, in general, aren't my thing but then again, I live in AK so we don't get a lot of opportunity to use them. 

12 minutes ago, redvettez06 said:

I've not read anything about the Silverados leaking and have never had one leak on any other vehicle that I have owned. I also barely ever use them when I have them so for me, it isn't worth it unless  it happens to come on a vehicle that I really want. Sunroofs, in general, aren't my thing but then again, I live in AK so we don't get a lot of opportunity to use them. 

That's where my thought process is, I'd prefer not pay for something I'll never use but don't want to pass up a truck that has one that has everything else I want on a truck. Appreciate your comment. 

I have a sunroof in my 2020 SLT. I love it even though I don’t use it as much as I should.  I have had sunroofs in most of my vehicles and this is the only one not to make buffeting sounds when driving. I can actually drive on the highway with it open.  It all depends what you end up paying for it. The only truck the dealer had with the color I wanted had the sunroof.  At first I refused to pay it but ended up paying $300.  I was told it adds $800 to the value at trade in.  

19 minutes ago, Z71RAD88 said:

I’ve never owned a truck with one and have always been against them but all the trucks I’m currently finding have one. Do I bite the bullet and get one with a sun roof? My concerns are; they leak and I’d be hearing wind noise going down the road. Again, never owned a vehicle with one so I’m completely ignorant to the topic. Thoughts for guys/gals who have them or ones that had them and now don’t? 

As long as you take care of the seals and weather strips, you won't encounter any issues. 

If your truck is in the sun all the time like mine is, its even more important to do so.

I have sunroof on previous gen K2xx. No issues. Got it tinted with dark tint and leave it closed but shade open all the time. Gives the cabin a more open and brightens it up a bit.

I have heard of sharkfin antenna leaking and rear windows leaking but not sunroofs.

Have a 92 accord with sunroof, no issues still works great.
Friend has an 03 suburban with sunroof. No issues.

I have a sunroof and use it in the evenings. Never have had issues with sunroofs

no offense but if you are worried about the $1000 difference in price of the sunroof compared to one without it.  Then you shouldn’t be buying a truck. Get the truck you like especially now with inventory getting low.  If you never use it. Keep it shut always and never have to worry about it leaking. 

Edited by TNTSilverado

7 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

I have a sunroof and use it in the evenings. Never have had issues with sunroofs

no offense but if you are worried about the $1000 difference in price of the sunroof compared to one without it.  Then you shouldn’t be buying a truck. If you never use it. Keep it shut always and never have to worry about it leaking. 

It's not so much the exact amount of $1,000, it's the fact I'm paying for something that I wouldn't use anyways. 

1 minute ago, Z71RAD88 said:

It's not so much the exact amount of $1,000, it's the fact I'm paying for something that I wouldn't use anyways. 

Gotcha. You would be surprised how often you would use it on a nice cool evening. I open mine along with sliding rear and it makes a world of difference on comfort. Without running A/C

1 minute ago, TNTSilverado said:

Gotcha. You would be surprised how often you would use it on a nice cool evening. I open mine along with sliding rear and it makes a world of difference on comfort. Without running A/C

1 minute ago, TNTSilverado said:

Interesting, never thought of that combo. I’ll remain open minded. Hey, maybe if I get one that has a rear leaking window I can open the slider and sun roof and have a mister run through the truck. ?

I had one in my 2015 Sierra and have one in my 2020 -they were both off the lot, so no real choice. But, I do use it sometimes, like others have said, with the back window open. Never any rear window leaks or noise issues with either.