Sun roof or not?

Z71RAD88

I had an affinity for the sun roof... until a rock land on top of mine and cracked it. This can always happen and when you least expect it. 

We had a vehicle with a sun roof yeah it was cool for awhile then it wore off and never used it. Its just one more thing to have open then something happens and you cant get it closed and they don't like hail trust me my friend found that out, he rode around for a while with a trash bag duct taped to his roof till he could get it replaced , I don't like them and never will own another. You will like it for awhile then it will loose its coolness and you will leave it shut.

5 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

We had a vehicle with a sun roof yeah it was cool for awhile then it wore off and never used it. Its just one more thing to have open then something happens and you cant get it closed and they don't like hail trust me my friend found that out, he rode around for a while with a trash bag duct taped to his roof till he could get it replaced , I don't like them and never will own another. You will like it for awhile then it will loose its coolness and you will leave it shut.

Ya, this is where my initial thoughts were too. I’m gonna hunt for a truck without one but if it’s too good of a deal I won’t pass it up. 

38 minutes ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Ya, this is where my initial thoughts were too. I’m gonna hunt for a truck without one but if it’s too good of a deal I won’t pass it up. 

That’s exactly what you should do, IMO. 

My RST doesn’t have one. But that is because it was the only RST with the options I wanted, in the color I wanted, within 500 miles when I bought it in March 2019. If it had a sunroof, I would have bought it. 

My wife has had cars with sunroofs for 10 years. I think we have actually used the thing less than 15 times total. Living in TX, I keep it closed most often. Too hot, and not a fan of the glare through the roof. 

But on certain nice days, it’s fun to have. 

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

That’s exactly what you should do, IMO. 

My RST doesn’t have one. But that is because it was the only RST with the options I wanted, in the color I wanted, within 500 miles when I bought it in March 2019. If it had a sunroof, I would have bought it. 

My wife has had cars with sunroofs for 10 years. I think we have actually used the thing less than 15 times total. Living in TX, I keep it closed most often. Too hot, and not a fan of the glare through the roof. 

But on certain nice days, it’s fun to have. 

Yup, that’s the plan. 

I wouldn’t pass up on a truck for having one even if I did not actual want one. I’ve had sunroofs in all my vehicles for years, I use them infrequently but my wife uses them all the time. I do enjoy the ability to use it as either a means of letting additional sunlight in, cracking it open in tilt or actually opening it right up as the moon roof option. 
I’ve never had one leak, and wind noise is minimal. With it open with tilt it’s very unnoticeable, but full open on the highway you will get some wind noise for sure (unless have wind guards, but IMO they are such an eye sore). 
If you never use it, just keep sun shade closed 24/7 and forget about it. It won’t cause you any problems, but the option is always nice.  

I love having them. Even closed, which I'll agree is most of the time I like the feeling of having one.

To the people that say the thousand dollars is meaningless, give me a break. Why pay for something you don't want? Paying for a denali for me is no problem, justifying it is a different story. I'll probably go slt to save some money. To the op, buy or don't buy what you want.

1 hour ago, LowCountryDenali said:

Nothing more to add except that spring, fall and most of winter in SC, I'll drive with sunroof popped up and rear slider partially or fully open. Got the truck in July and it’s been hottern hell since so running a/c full time. 

Same here.  Just to hot to drive with it open.  Looking forward to the cooler weather and fresh air running through the cab.

My current truck is the first one I’ve had a sunroof in. I haven’t used it a ton yet but plan to once it cools off.

Something I like about it is even when it’s not open, I slide the shade back to let more light in. It feels a lot more spacious like another comment mentioned and is really nice to have with the color of my interior. The Dark Walnut interior has a dark brown headliner which without the sunroof feels a bit clostrophobic. The AT4 interior also has a charcoal headliner - drove one of those without the sunroof and it was just so dark.

Not sure what truck you’re looking at but most of the black interiors other than the AT4 have grey headliners which is nice to make it feel light and airy which is what my last 2 trucks had.

Something else that is nice about the GM sunroofs is that they’re pretty simple and tried and true. Manual shade and one panel of glass (would I love to have a pano sunroof - sure) but can’t imagine the whole roof being glass and with the shade Motors to roll it back there is just too much to go wrong.

Just something to think about - don’t think it should be a dealbreaker either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

My current truck is the first one I’ve had a sunroof in. I haven’t used it a ton yet but plan to once it cools off.

Something I like about it is even when it’s not open, I slide the shade back to let more light in. It feels a lot more spacious like another comment mentioned and is really nice to have with the color of my interior. The Dark Walnut interior has a dark brown headliner which without the sunroof feels a bit clostrophobic. The AT4 interior also has a charcoal headliner - drove one of those without the sunroof and it was just so dark.

Not sure what truck you’re looking at but most of the black interiors other than the AT4 have grey headliners which is nice to make it feel light and airy which is what my last 2 trucks had.

Something else that is nice about the GM sunroofs is that they’re pretty simple and tried and true. Manual shade and one panel of glass (would I love to have a pano sunroof - sure) but can’t imagine the whole roof being glass and with the shade Motors to roll it back there is just too much to go wrong.

Just something to think about - don’t think it should be a dealbreaker either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely plan to do with the dark interior leather. Chevy LTZ with 6.2 is what I’m shopping for right now.