Funky rant on edmunds

Is it possible that the intake snorkel location, being located where it is, could cause a ton of water to hit that thing due to excessive speed or maybe bow wave pushing it there?

It’s right in the front and if the tube going up to the crap above the radiator comes loose or a gap opens up at the connection then that could be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 months later...

I believe it!!! I literally was driving my 2020 Custom Trailboss in a parking lot last night which did have water because it rained all day yesterday.  I'm in the Los Angeles area so we don't get crazy rain, either way no more than 3" of water as i was going through this parking lot and now the dealer tells me my motor has seized.  Apparently water went in through the air intake which is at the hood level (give or take 4' high) and the motor "hydro locked" as they called it.  Now today the dealer is saying this isn't a GM issue?  Find it hard to believe I can't drive in the rain with an "off-road" truck.  If this has happened to anyone else please let me know what your outcome was, appreciate it in advance.  gus.magana@yahoo is my email.  Thanks 

I believe it!!! I literally was driving my 2020 Custom Trailboss in a parking lot last night which did have water because it rained all day yesterday.  I'm in the Los Angeles area so we don't get crazy rain, either way no more than 3" of water as i was going through this parking lot and now the dealer tells me my motor has seized.  Apparently water went in through the air intake which is at the hood level (give or take 4' high) and the motor "hydro locked" as they called it.  Now today the dealer is saying this isn't a GM issue?  Find it hard to believe I can't drive in the rain with an "off-road" truck.  If this has happened to anyone else please let me know what your outcome was, appreciate it in advance.  gus.magana@yahoo is my email.  Thanks 
Which engine do you have?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hydro lock has been a thing for years. Honda and Acura tuners install CAIs that put the filter in the fender gap behind the bumper and inside the wheel well liner. Go through high water, and your CAI is nothing but a straw with the engine sucking on the other end. Your car insurance will generally cover it, as long as they can’t prove negligence. It only takes about 6” of water to reach the floorboards of a passenger car, and a foot of water can float a vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

Hydro lock has been a thing for years. Honda and Acura tuners install CAIs that put the filter in the fender gap behind the bumper and inside the wheel well liner. Go through high water, and your CAI is nothing but a straw with the engine sucking on the other end. Your car insurance will generally cover it, as long as they can’t prove negligence. It only takes about 6” of water to reach the floorboards of a passenger car, and a foot of water can float a vehicle.

Makes sense, in this case we’re talking about 3” of water in a truck that has a factory 2” lift so it sits slightly higher than a normal Silverado. 

From Owners Manual (2020 sierra, but others likely the same/similar) :

Driving in Water

Warning
Driving through rushing water can be dangerous. Deep water can sweep your vehicle downstream
and you and your passengers could drown. If it is only shallow water, it can still wash away the
ground from under your tires.
Traction could be lost, and the vehicle could roll over.

Do not drive through rushing water. 

Caution
Do not drive through standing water if it is deep enough to cover the wheel hubs, axles, or exhaust
pipe. Deep water can damage the axle and other vehicle parts. 

If the standing water is not too deep, drive through it slowly.

At faster speeds, water can get into the engine and cause it to stall.

Stalling can occur if the exhaust pipe is under water.

Do not turn off the ignition when driving through water.
If the exhaust pipe is under water, the engine will not start. When going through water, the brakes get wet and it may take longer to stop. See “Driving on Wet Roads” later in this section.

It doesn’t take much water to grenade an engine. Air compresses, water doesn’t. I have seen a forged piston after the engine hydro locked. It didn’t have a straight axis left. Straight up mangled.

39 minutes ago, redwngr said:

From Owners Manual (2020 sierra, but others likely the same/similar) :

Driving in Water

Warning
Driving through rushing water can be dangerous. Deep water can sweep your vehicle downstream
and you and your passengers could drown. If it is only shallow water, it can still wash away the
ground from under your tires.
Traction could be lost, and the vehicle could roll over.

Do not drive through rushing water. 

Caution
Do not drive through standing water if it is deep enough to cover the wheel hubs, axles, or exhaust
pipe. Deep water can damage the axle and other vehicle parts. 

If the standing water is not too deep, drive through it slowly.

At faster speeds, water can get into the engine and cause it to stall.

Stalling can occur if the exhaust pipe is under water.

Do not turn off the ignition when driving through water.
If the exhaust pipe is under water, the engine will not start. When going through water, the brakes get wet and it may take longer to stop. See “Driving on Wet Roads” later in this section.

I’ve seen that, again we are talking normal water on a rainy day. No more than 2-3” at any given time. To be exact I was in a parking lot driving out which did have water but not matte than 2-3” defiantly not enough to reach the tire hub or be submerged in any way. 

17 minutes ago, MTU Alum said:

You are more likely to get water on clean side of induction in 2" water at 50 mph vs 16" at 5 mph.  A sustained puddle at 2 in and 50 mph is much more severe than driving through deep water very slow.  Look at the wake the vehicle makes.   F = m x a

#iworkforGM 

Not sure if I could even drive 50mph I’m 3” of water. However I was going no more than 5mph in the parking lot as I was making my way toward the exit. 

On 9/5/2020 at 5:39 AM, KARNUT said:

So now GM builds trucks that funnel water to the cold air box? That news to me. If that happened he has bent rods. Spending my career working off road on ROWs I know trucks limits. It should take high water levels to get water in the engine.

You would think it would be ok to drive in the rain and in only a few inches of water at any given time.  Not like i was driving in a foot let alone 4' to reach the hood.  I was in a parking lot when my truck bent a rod, sending it through the block. 9k miles on my 2020 and now the dealer is saying its my fault for driving when it was wet... What a shame!

You would think it would be ok to drive in the rain and in only a few inches of water at any given time.  Not like i was driving in a foot let alone 4' to reach the hood.  I was in a parking lot when my truck bent a rod, sending it through the block. 9k miles on my 2020 and now the dealer is saying its my fault for driving when it was wet... What a shame!

I’m glad I’m out of the new truck market.

I'm glad I'm aware of this. I'm going to be careful going through big puddles and road flooding. I'm also going to take a good look at the engine air intake under the hood.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk