GM Calibrations - Ordering and Numeric Values

dwchapmanjr

Question

I was looking at calibrations for my 2015 GMC Yukon Denali's ESCM (Z95) and noticed there's a listing but the calibration ID's are not sequential and the latest one it recommends is a lower numerical value than the one that may fix an issue I have. Is this normal? Any explanation for the ordering? I posted this in the K2XX forum but this one appears more appropriate so sorry for the spam. I believe I have the original calibration and think 23452750 may fix my issue. Does the "current"/top one include all the fixes in the below or are they all different and you pick the one that addresses your issue? I won't be applying this, likely taking to the dealer and just want to be informed.

Calibration.thumb.jpg.009acee150bd5ea9740a7689de4b7b54.jpg

7 answers to this question

Being that you're more than likely far out of the  3 year / 36k mile warranty, I'd steer clear of the dealership, and find a local garage that has the capability. This sort of thing is becoming more and more necessary as modern vehicles age, so more and more garages are buying J-boxes to do the job.

Once you hook up a J-box and connect to GM's site, it will tell you all the calibrations it has based on your VIN. My guess is you probably already have all the numerically lower calibrations.

11 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Being that you're more than likely far out of the  3 year / 36k mile warranty, I'd steer clear of the dealership, and find a local garage that has the capability. This sort of thing is becoming more and more necessary as modern vehicles age, so more and more garages are buying J-boxes to do the job.

Once you hook up a J-box and connect to GM's site, it will tell you all the calibrations it has based on your VIN. My guess is you probably already have all the numerically lower calibrations.

I'm looking, haven't found it yet but the dealer has been great so I'm likely to keep going for some of the more advanced stuff.  I would love to find a local shop that can though and support a local business.

I don't mind paying a premium for it by going to the dealer though, my issue with them is they're a bit of a hike.  Not to be argumentative but my guess is since this is a 2015i and going by my service records my guess is I don't have any of the calibrations other than the original released one since any new calibration hasn't been loaded for this to my knowledge.

15 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

I think you will find that the part numbers are not created with regards to the number it is replacing.  When the technician calls the tech line to get an updated firmware it will include the newest version of each module. 

So my confusion on this was the TIS site (which anyone can go to, lists them all and the one I marked "current" in the picture is the latest one but they're not numerically sequential but do seem to be listed from most recent to oldest (top to bottom) as the top one is the one TIS is saying is the current one that will be released/programmed.

Edited by dwchapmanjr
clarification

I think I may have found the answer.  Previously I went into "Operating system" but going into "Real Time Dampening" it shows what seems to be the progression and they are indeed not sequential

My scan tool won't tell me the calibration ID but my guess is I have 2343983 due to the MFG date and no other suspension programming being done on it.

TIS.jpg

2 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Is GM allowing anyone to get a new bin file(or whatever they call it) for your ECM?  For example, when I changed the rear axle gear set 10 years ago GM would not send the dealer a new updated ECM file to correct the issues created when going to 4:10 from 3:23.   Whats the price for one of those boxes?

2 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

Is GM allowing anyone to get a new bin file(or whatever they call it) for your ECM?  For example, when I changed the rear axle gear set 10 years ago GM would not send the dealer a new updated ECM file to correct the issues created when going to 4:10 from 3:23.   Whats the price for one of those boxes?

Yes, get an MDI or MDI 2 and then buy the necessary subscription for your needs.  If you just need to load a calibration its $40.  If you need to do diagnostics they have plans that start at 3 days for relatively nothing.  The cost barrier to entry is obtaining an MDI / MDI 2.  They have clones but I don't know that I'd trust programming on one.

MDI too seems to cost around $900 for an authentic one.

http://www.acdelcotds.com/

Yep, David C. said what I was just going to. They'll give you what you need, in exchange for the money of course. 

I hear the new Autel unit is pretty good, along with Bosch. There's a couple other ones I've seen my buddies on YouTube use without issue as well, but I can't remember names to save my life these days ... 

Nice they added that 24 month single-VIN subscription option on the TDS site! That's a much better deal than what they had going before.