Leaking rear window

8 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I do.  I was just wondering where the bolts originated.  Like is it attached from the inside under the headliner or are the bolts visible from the topside.

They are not visible topside. My guess is the bolt would hold a clip in place and that spoiler clips onto it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First time posting here..but let it be known that this issue is still on the 2023s. My truck was built early February of 2023 and took delivery in late February. A few weeks back noticed water on my rear seat, cleaned it off and though it was because i opened the slider after it rained. A few days later same thing, but didnt open my slider. Then this past weekend washed my truck only to discover it was leaking on both sides. I took it to the dealer today and they confirmed the rear glass. They're going to replace it completely. Only this is, the replacement is coming from Canada..and they expect it in 2 weeks. My truck has less than 3,000 miles on it.

1 hour ago, TS423 said:

First time posting here..but let it be known that this issue is still on the 2023s. My truck was built early February of 2023 and took delivery in late February. A few weeks back noticed water on my rear seat, cleaned it off and though it was because i opened the slider after it rained. A few days later same thing, but didnt open my slider. Then this past weekend washed my truck only to discover it was leaking on both sides. I took it to the dealer today and they confirmed the rear glass. They're going to replace it completely. Only this is, the replacement is coming from Canada..and they expect it in 2 weeks. My truck has less than 3,000 miles on it.

That's not good.  I hope they get it fixed soon for you.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:19 PM, TS423 said:

Surprised they are replacing the glass.  I just had my truck in for a leak above the rear window on both sides this past Monday.  They removed the spoiler, replaced the bolts, caulked it and reinstalled the spoiler.  Have to wait 24 after the repair to get it wet. I washed my truck yesterday and no more leaking, but did notice that they had caulk residue around the window in a few places and a few very light scratches.

Edited by shadow gray 2020 hd

• 3 weeks later...

Update from my previous post: the rear glass was replaced last week. Im decently happy with the results..no scratched paint, no water leaking. Just need to take it back to my to tint guy and get it retinted. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here.  Four separate watermarks from streaming water down the back window. Enough water that the front mats were wet, from back to front - living in the NW, so it was raining pretty crazy a week back during a longer vacation trip, but in reading this I might ask the dealership about installing solid rear window.  If they give me any confidence they can do it - hooking up rear defrost again correctly which I'm hoping still works, not damaging anything else and putting it all back together right, I'll report back.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 11:20 PM, NWSierra said:

Same issue here.  Four separate watermarks from streaming water down the back window. Enough water that the front mats were wet, from back to front - living in the NW, so it was raining pretty crazy a week back during a longer vacation trip, but in reading this I might ask the dealership about installing solid rear window.  If they give me any confidence they can do it - hooking up rear defrost again correctly which I'm hoping still works, not damaging anything else and putting it all back together right, I'll report back.  

This is certainly not what we like to hear, NWSierra.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: NWSierra/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

Some talk here about whether this is from the window or scoop bolts. Pretty sure scoop bolts are fine for most of us - although the 15 or so bolts on the top of the cab needs to just go away in the next body/build/version, if only for piece of mind.  I don't know who thought a scoop and 15 holes on a cab would be a good idea - but amazingly they seem NOT to be the issue (at least for me). 

Videos were too large to attach, but you can see what I found in a couple pics below - all bolts dry, window leaking in streams from the sides, cracks, etc. you take the trim and headline off, more easily seen how the outer portions of the window tag the headliner, somewhat makes it look like the leaks are above the window.  Maybe some do have those scoop bolts leaking but mine came from 4 separate spots. Two are pictured below. 

IMG_2249.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpeg

Solid back window coming this week, through glass specialty shop.  No dealership from me, too many times I've come back to pick up my truck with ten other things broken and needing repair.  Learned my lesson there.

I'll start a separate sting and stop hijacking this. I need to make sure I wire up defrost right (slider has connections for each side window, solid window will just have one set), and I am curious about an overhead console that deletes the button for the rear slider.  It'd be nice to delete that button if I've gone to a solid back window.  

Edited by NWSierra
  • Like 1

yep, most leaks come from the actual frame cracking, not the bolts. I don't understand why they use a plastic frame. Using a metal frame would eliminate this. I can't see how all these warranty claims are cheaper than switching material🤦🏼

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 11:22 AM, NWSierra said:

Some talk here about whether this is from the window or scoop bolts. Pretty sure scoop bolts are fine for most of us - although the 15 or so bolts on the top of the cab needs to just go away in the next body/build/version, if only for piece of mind.  I don't know who thought a scoop and 15 holes on a cab would be a good idea - but amazingly they seem NOT to be the issue (at least for me). 

Videos were too large to attach, but you can see what I found in a couple pics below - all bolts dry, window leaking in streams from the sides, cracks, etc. you take the trim and headline off, more easily seen how the outer portions of the window tag the headliner, somewhat makes it look like the leaks are above the window.  Maybe some do have those scoop bolts leaking but mine came from 4 separate spots. Two are pictured below. 

IMG_2249.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpeg

Solid back window coming this week, through glass specialty shop.  No dealership from me, too many times I've come back to pick up my truck with ten other things broken and needing repair.  Learned my lesson there.

I'll start a separate sting and stop hijacking this. I need to make sure I wire up defrost right (slider has connections for each side window, solid window will just have one set), and I am curious about an overhead console that deletes the button for the rear slider.  It'd be nice to delete that button if I've gone to a solid back window.  

It seems some of these truck’s issues stem from the upper end options. Not to make light of any problems but that is a big reason I went with a WT(and because I’m cheap) it has a solid rear window(at least it’s factory tinted though ha) and no multi flex tailgate among other things that I’ve noticed seem to have issues. 

just made me think of it when you said you’re going back to a solid rear window. 

hopefully it fixes the issue. 

these trucks should not have water issues. I mean I remember when I was a kid with old 70’s and 80’s trucks they all leaked in a car wash but in 2023 in a new truck of this cost? No. 

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 4:41 AM, Pryme said:

It seems some of these truck’s issues stem from the upper end options. Not to make light of any problems but that is a big reason I went with a WT(and because I’m cheap) it has a solid rear window(at least it’s factory tinted though ha) and no multi flex tailgate among other things that I’ve noticed seem to have issues. 

just made me think of it when you said you’re going back to a solid rear window. 

hopefully it fixes the issue. 

these trucks should not have water issues. I mean I remember when I was a kid with old 70’s and 80’s trucks they all leaked in a car wash but in 2023 in a new truck of this cost? No. 

Went to solid rear window. really happy with it. Always liked the look even if it was less one upgrade option. The old window was a mess, cracked at the top/bottom of each "slider" section. Kind of shocking to see how bad of shape it was in - there was no amount of sealant/caulking that would have fixed that.  defrost plugged right in.  no leaks.  awesome.  

• Like 2

On 12/25/2023 at 11:16 AM, NWSierra said:

Went to solid rear window. really happy with it. Always liked the look even if it was less one upgrade option. The old window was a mess, cracked at the top/bottom of each "slider" section. Kind of shocking to see how bad of shape it was in - there was no amount of sealant/caulking that would have fixed that.  defrost plugged right in.  no leaks.  awesome.  

I like the look too of the solid rear window. Looks clean. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Welllllll update from my last post in the thread....less than a year after having the rear glass replaced for a leak on both sides, i noticed a water trail on the inside again today after a rain storm. A closer look revealed a crack in the plastic frame. Curious to see what the remedy will be after already being replaced. 

3 minutes ago, TS423 said:

Welllllll update from my last post in the thread....less than a year after having the rear glass replaced for a leak on both sides, i noticed a water trail on the inside again today after a rain storm. A closer look revealed a crack in the plastic frame. Curious to see what the remedy will be after already being replaced. 

We are sorry to hear you are still facing troubles with your 2023 Silverado and would like to investigate further for you. Please send us an email to [email protected]. Be sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to your email.