Extended Warranty on the 3.0 Duramax?

Wow, sorry to here that. Did they say what code it was? If so try and search on the forum and maybe someone on has the solution already. The 3.0 is new so I am sure not all dealers are up to data yet. Could help them track it down faster and correctly. 

Also curious in case it happens to me. 

I forgot to ask what the code was, but they called me back said they found a faulty engine coolant flow valve and that was why it was happening first thing in the morning. They have one on order from Texas and it will be here Tuesday. They put me in a loaner vehicle which also happened to be a new Silverado. They also said they would throw in a free set of rear wheel liners for the trouble since they knew I already wanted to get a set.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:23 PM, yousaveone said:

I bought the extended warranty to find out it does NOT cover DPF, Cat, and exhaust. These are the things that will fail. I ended up cancelling for a full refund and bought the only extended warranty I could find that covers emissions systems.

Can you share which one you bought please? The dealer offered warranty (ALLY) and the credit union offered warranty (IWS Group) did not offer DPF, EGR, Cat, and Exhaust coverage which I wanted too. They said that they were considered wear and tear items. 

4 hours ago, Olympus said:

I forgot to ask what the code was, but they called me back said they found a faulty engine coolant flow valve and that was why it was happening first thing in the morning. They have one on order from Texas and it will be here Tuesday. They put me in a loaner vehicle which also happened to be a new Silverado. They also said they would throw in a free set of rear wheel liners for the trouble since they knew I already wanted to get a set.

Good to hear, sounds like they are trying to make it right. I hope it solves the problem and you can start enjoying your truck!! No telling what happened to the valve between manufacturing, shipping and then assembly. It's good to get the bugs out now, instead of later leaving you stuck somewhere.

With a auto extended service warranty it pays to shop around and there is nothing to be gained in buying one before the factory warranty expires. With a diesel engine the parts that are not covered by the drivetrain warranty and an injector rebuild alone will cost more than $2,000. Add in the cost to replace the water pump or the EGR or fuel pump and the value of an extended warranty is a no brainer and part of the reason why a diesel will never save its owner money when compared to the total operating cost for the same vehicle with a gas engine.

Truck is back in the shop again with a pretty significant oil leak now. Third time in the shop within 2 weeks of buying it. Just shy of 800 miles on the truck. Now I’m starting to be concerned with my decision to buy this truck, particularly the Duramax.

This is less than 24 hours of sitting in the garage.
c16b48010f91f0f4e177b02158e6537d.jpg

I recently sold my 2500 Duramax and used it to tow a 13,000 boat trailer and to haul a 4,000 lb slide in camper. I got 30% more range on a tank of diesel as compared to a gas V-8 and that along with the added power for safely merging with traffic or pulling a grade and getting past big rigs, made the added cost of ownership worth it. Now that the boat and camper have been sold I have no need for a diesel engine.

The expensive repairs tend to be the injectors and the EGR valve and the turbo and the DEF components. If an extended warranty would not cover those items then it is a waste of money.

The increased fuel economy will never be enough of a dollar savings to cover the much higher maintenance costs of a diesel engine in a pickup. Overall the diesel engines have more components that can fail without warning and leave on stuck by the side of the road. I had 3 vacation trips cut short due to problems with the emissions control systems that put the truck into limp mode. Try merging with freeway traffic when the computer is keeping the maximum speed to 55 mph - it can't be done.

The key advantage of the diesel engine in the Silverado 1500 is that you can get a larger fuel tank from Titan to replace the stock tank. With the gas engine one is stuck with the small 24 gallon gas tank which cannot be upgraded.

2 hours ago, Olympus said:

Truck is back in the shop again with a pretty significant oil leak now. Third time in the shop within 2 weeks of buying it. Just shy of 800 miles on the truck. Now I’m starting to be concerned with my decision to buy this truck, particularly the Duramax.

This is less than 24 hours of sitting in the garage.
c16b48010f91f0f4e177b02158e6537d.jpg

Man, sorry to here about that. I have 13,500 miles on mine and haven't had a problem yet. Did the dealership do a oil change or any work in that area and didn't tighten everything back up? I totally understand your second guess on the truck, you just got it! I really hope it is nothing and just something they didn't tighten up when you had the warranty work done. Hope you can start enjoy the truck like I have with mine.

Man, sorry to here about that. I have 13,500 miles on mine and haven't had a problem yet. Did the dealership do a oil change or any work in that area and didn't tighten everything back up? I totally understand your second guess on the truck, you just got it! I really hope it is nothing and just something they didn't tighten up when you had the warranty work done. Hope you can start enjoy the truck like I have with mine.

No oil change. Truck has less than 800 miles on it. The truck was previously in the shop for P2B60 code that resulted in a replaced coolant flow control valve. I wouldn’t think a coolant flow control valve would have any impact on the oil though.

3 minutes ago, Olympus said:

No oil change. Truck has less than 800 miles on it. The truck was previously in the shop for P2B60 code that resulted in a replaced coolant flow control valve. I wouldn’t think a coolant flow control valve would have any impact on the oil though.

I wouldn't think so either, but maybe they had to take off the oil filler neck or dip stick to get to it. On my old 6.6 duramax I had to loosen the oil filler neck to get the thermostat housing cover up enough to replace the thermostats. So maybe it's possible something like that may have happened. But I haven't dug into this 3.0 yet, so just a thought. I feel your pain, I would not be a happy camper about it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Olympus said:

I would check the oil pan gasket and the connections to the oil cooler lines. A lot of the v8 Silverado/Sierras have had issues with disconnecting cooler lines. My 3.0 has a leaky oil pan gasket, not enough drip or lose any noticeable amount of oil, but the gasket definitely lets out enough oil to get wet. 

On 10/20/2020 at 3:43 PM, Olympus said:

So my 3.0 has been in the shop 3 times for check engine light and it is on once again for the 4th time!  And only 8500 miles...  The only thing I notice with the truck is the motor fan continuously runs and the outdoor temp reading will say 32 deg when its 85??  I explained this to the service department and they replaced some temp sensor that was behind passenger side mirror.  It is throwing code P0071 which has to do with ambient air temp.  They said there are no bulletins related.  Gonna schedule another appointment and see if they can figure it out this time.  This is getting old very quickly!