Extended Warranty on the 3.0 Duramax?

Hey everyone, new member here and getting ready to purchase a new 2020 Silverado RST with the 3.0 Duramax. This is my first new vehicle purchase and I’m considering an extended warranty through the dealership just for any future issues with the truck. The extended warranty is through CNA and is their Preferred Care Plus which is their top tier warranty. It would be for 10 years or 150k miles. I would be selling/trading the truck at probably 100-125k miles depending on how good the truck turns out to be. The cost for the warranty is $3000 and there is a $0 deductible if I use the dealership service dept or $200 deductible if I use any other auto repair shop. I know there are lot more sophisticated electronic systems on new trucks these days not to mention the additional components and systems the these new diesel motors and I’m just wondering if the $3000 would be worth it for piece of mind or not. Obviously, the truck comes with the GM 3yr/36k mile bumper to bumper and the 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty. Only other time I’ve experienced an extended warranty was when my wife bought a used GMC Envoy and she bought an extended warranty. It turned out to be worth the money because the sunroof got off track and crushed a bunch of plastic stuff in there and also her seat heater element went out. So between those two things, it more than paid for the cost of the extended warranty. Just trying to decide whether I should spend the $3k or if I should roll the dice and hope I don’t need it.

So far I have been lucky and never needed a warranty repair. Fingers crossed. I understand the wanted peace of mind, it is nice to have. Best thing I can say is read what it covers in detail. I am sceptical, I always here stories that it doesn't cover what you think.

Also there are stories on here that some folks have a tough time to get the dealership to do the work if it is something hard to pin down or say it is with in spec. When you know something is not right. 

Although others report only good things. So it's a tough call.

One last thing well you be thinking about mods that may alter or void some parts of the warranty, if so extending maybe a waste of money.

But then again that I was tempted too! Didn't do it so I hope it works out. You never know.

I can tell you since the dealerships usually make money on these, they are negotiable in terms of price. For example, with my current 2019 AT4 I was not going to buy it, but they were pushing it. My original interest rate was 2.3 or 2.4, I forget exactly, but I asked them to lower the interest to cover the cost of the warranty which I have seen them do before. End result is I have a 125,000 mile highest end warranty with zero deductable at my dealership and $100 deductable anywhere else and the net cost was $1/month x 48 months. Don't be restrained at negotiating the warranty is all I'm saying. The final interest rate was 1. Something, so it almost completely covered the warranty.

Good luck and enjoy your truck!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

$3000 / 10 years is a good bet.     

Just to put it in the shop to run a diagnostic for a misc issue can cost $350 for a couple of hours of computer work.

You’d hope that isn’t a yearly problem but do the math on that and you’ll be ok. 

I went ahead and bought the warranty. I can cancel it for a prorated cost when I sell or trade the truck. I thought it was very good coverage for relatively low cost and with the Duramax 3.0 being fairly new, I thought it was worth it for piece of mind. Bought the truck a little bit ago and just got it home. I love it!

3db5feb99d46fe6304fee801548cc34e.jpg
7ebe9bbec13cdee1f6936f5ca1d3dc5d.jpg

• Like 4

Don't forget that the dmax comes with a 100,000 mile 5/yr powertrain warranty.  Bumper to bumper is 36K, like the gassers.

Pretty good bet that the time most of use get by 100,000 miles on one we will already have some good info on how they are performing with that many miles. 

I went ahead and bought the warranty. I can cancel it for a prorated cost when I sell or trade the truck. I thought it was very good coverage for relatively low cost and with the Duramax 3.0 being fairly new, I thought it was worth it for piece of mind. Bought the truck a little bit ago and just got it home. I love it!

Beautiful truck! Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can tell you on the dealer service side of things, unless its a Chevrolet Protection plan or Ally service contract, 90% of the "other" brand warranties won't or don't cover A LOT of items.  

https://www.chevrolet.com/protection-plans/chevrolet-platinum-protection

https://www.ally.com/auto/vehicle-protection/

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, Olympus said:

Congrats!!! You will love it! I have really enjoyed my 3.0. I've got 13,500 miles on mine so far and it's been fun!

• Like 1

I purchased a 6yr/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for $1800 from the dealer.  $0 deductible if I use the purchasing dealer, $100 if I use any other dealer/shop.

I wanted a bumper to bumper since the factory powertrain warranty can be limiting with emissions or fueling issues.  Example would be the direct injection injectors on the K2 trucks were not covered

Edited by pewterliftedz

I purchased a 6yr/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty for $1800 from the dealer.  $0 deductible if I use the purchasing dealer, $100 if I use any other dealer/shop.
I wanted a bumper to bumper since the factory powertrain warranty can be limiting with emissions or fueling issues.  Example would be the direct injection injectors on the K2 trucks were not covered
Emissions carries a 8 year/80,000 mile "warranty" per federal law. I don't remember the exact term, nor what's covered. Just know that I've had the benefit of it before. That's not just a GM thing, but is applicable to all makes and models sold in the US per federal law.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm hoping that I made the right choice.  I got in my new truck this morning to take my son to school.  Truck was parked in the insulated garage overnight, temps in the low 60s this morning.  I started the truck and immediately got a warning of about reduced engine power and a check engine light!  The engine fan immediately came on full blast and stayed on.  I took my son to school and took it back to the dealer.  They said it was a service bulletin about a "flow control valve" that needed to be reset in the computer.  They said they reset the computer and everything was working fine now, but to let them know if it happens again.  Haven't even had the truck 24 hours and got my first check engine light.  I'm REALLY hoping this was just a fluke.

I'm hoping that I made the right choice.  I got in my new truck this morning to take my son to school.  Truck was parked in the insulated garage overnight, temps in the low 60s this morning.  I started the truck and immediately got a warning of about reduced engine power and a check engine light!  The engine fan immediately came on full blast and stayed on.  I took my son to school and took it back to the dealer.  They said it was a service bulletin about a "flow control valve" that needed to be reset in the computer.  They said they reset the computer and everything was working fine now, but to let them know if it happens again.  Haven't even had the truck 24 hours and got my first check engine light.  I'm REALLY hoping this was just a fluke.

Hopefully it's just a fluke. 

Btw, nice profile pic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1