Another 6speed transmission failure at 82,000

I just kit 45k and want to do a trans fluid / filter change. I checked my dip stick and the first wipe was black. Checked it after and its light pink. Firet time I really checked it since owning at 10k miles. I have the diablo tune. I think i want to turn off torque management.. Not sure tho. Service manual only says to change it at 45k for severe use. I tow my 900lb atv once every few weeks. And I have 34" tires. Otherwise thats all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, acinquegrana said:

I just kit 45k and want to do a trans fluid / filter change. I checked my dip stick and the first wipe was black. Checked it after and its light pink. Firet time I really checked it since owning at 10k miles. I have the diablo tune. I think i want to turn off torque management.. Not sure tho. Service manual only says to change it at 45k for severe use. I tow my 900lb atv once every few weeks. And I have 34" tires. Otherwise thats all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I would consider the larger tire to be taxing on the trans and would have the fluid filter changed.  Maybe some other guys can chime in also about whether switching the Torque management off will actually help.  In theory I would think yes but get some more opinions.

Being that these are a torque based computer, turning off torque management is not an option. The problem isn't torque mngt either because you can make the transmission do exactly what you want it to do without ever really touching it.

Adjusting shift points, shift time and torque converter settings are key to a good transmission tune.

10 hours ago, aanold said:

Torque converter chewed up my 6L80E.

https://youtu.be/pcSJN_E1KOw

2016 Silverado 1500 LT

Black

2.5 Level with Eibach Springs and Struts

Flowmaster 40 Series

Well, it wasn't the transmission that failed then, it was the converter!  6L80s are very reliable but were made less reliable when GM put the thermostat on them to help with emissions.  Get rid of it and change the fluid every 40K miles or less if towing a lot and they'll last a long time.  Average life in a GMT900 is about 170K miles and that is usually just the solenoids that need rebuilding which costs $100 plus fluids and you do it on your kitchen table.

• Like 1

Mine started acting up at 45,000 miles. 

Did a pan drop and filter change, no help. Torque converter shudder. Sold it with 52,000 miles. Truck was babied from day one, mostly highway mileage, never towed, never hauled anything, bone stock tires and rims. Well maintained, made no difference. 

And I wasn't the only one that I personally knew with the same problem.

Shoulda beat on it more lol. I like watching the grandma car pull out into traffic and it's the first time they really stepped on the throttle in forever. Massive clouds of black soot come out the tailpipe because of all the carbon build up.

Not saying that driving it harder would have saved it but I drive all my vehicles hard and have yet to suffer any major failure because of it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2020 at 4:15 PM, aanold said:

I would consider the larger tire to be taxing on the trans and would have the fluid filter changed.  Maybe some other guys can chime in also about whether switching the Torque management off will actually help.  In theory I would think yes but get some more opinions.

we all know what the problem is . but no one is saying' lol  .10 cent part cost everyone $4000 i call it GM's planned obsolecence

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, flyingfool said:

we all know what the problem is . but no one is saying' lol  .10 cent part cost everyone $4000 i call it GM's planned obsolescence 

So agree!  Horrible way to do business. 

Since the rebuild I love the truck again but I notice that with the stock tune you can notice the torque management easing in to the next gear way too much. 

It reminds me of when someone rides the clutch too much to try and smooth out the operation of a standard tranny. 

1 hour ago, aanold said:

Since the rebuild I love the truck again but I notice that with the stock tune you can notice the torque management easing in to the next gear way too much. 

It reminds me of when someone rides the clutch too much to try and smooth out the operation of a standard tranny. 

you might need to have a tuner correct the timing tables for the engine vs TM