Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel on a Custom

I've spent lots of time comparing parts diagrams between the base 2020 Custom steering wheel and the 2020 leather wrapped versions on the fancier models.  As a consequence, it appears that I can purchase a leather wrapped wheel and attach parts from my base wheel to make this conversion work.  I have no interest in adding the up level electronic controls to the wheel but I do want the leather wrapped version to match my Katzkins leather seats.  I've read bunches of threads on the subject but am looking for something more definitive before I purchase a leather wrapped wheel.  Has anyone actually done this conversion.  Thanks

Edited by Mac-427
  • Like 2

I've spent lots of time comparing parts diagrams between the base 2020 Custom steering wheel and the 2020 leather wrapped versions on the fancier models.  As a consequence, it appears that I can purchase a leather wrapped wheel and attach parts from my base wheel to make this conversion work.  I have no interest in adding the up level electronic controls to the wheel but I do want the leather wrapped version to match my Katzkins leather seats.  I've read bunches of threads on the subject but am looking for something more definitive before I purchase a leather wrapped wheel.  Has anyone actually done this conversion.  Thanks

It can be done. Super easy mod. I purchased mine from Car-part.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Below are the parts I have on order and will report results after I install them.  Although the trim cover is not essential, I wanted the silver trim for a nicer look.

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
84646079 Steering Wheel $173.79 1 $173.79
84649074 Trim Cover $32.09 1 $32.09
  • Like 2

Below are the parts I have on order and will report results after I install them.  Although the trim cover is not essential, I wanted the silver trim for a nicer look.

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
84646079 Steering Wheel $173.79 1 $173.79
84649074 Trim Cover $32.09 1 $32.09

Makes you wonder how GM sleeps at night when a 173 dollar leather wrapped steering wheel is what makes a difference in 35 plus thousand dollar truck makes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Zelas said:

Makes you wonder how GM sleeps at night when a 173 dollar leather wrapped steering wheel is what makes a difference in 35 plus thousand dollar truck makes.

Peeps already whine that "IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE". In actuallity the truck is the same price, the dollar is worth less.

• Haha 1

I do find it perplexing that GM chooses not to put steering wheel controls or high intensity headlights on the Silverado Custom, or Work models as they are safety features.  Even so, my Custom 5.3 is a very nice truck, especially since it has Katzkin leather heated seats, Satellite radio and the trailer package.  I've also installed LED headlights.  The leather wrapped steering wheel will make my truck even nicer and even with my mods,  it is still substantially less expensive than the the up models.

The new wheel looks great.  Can't wait to get mine.  I considered various options including wheel skins or much more expensive customized steering wheels but the stock leather wrapped version looks perfect in our trucks.  Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Mac-427

Yep, she's done.  Not a tough job at all and I'm very happy with the result.  Many thanks to the Forum members that helped with their experience and suggestions.  It's a nice addition to my Katzin leather seats and relatively inexpensive considering the outcome.

New Leather Wheel.jpg

• Like 1

The center bolt takes a Torx T50.  I used an impact wrench to loosen it as it was secured with blue Loctite.  You might have to heat it if you don't have an impact wrench.  If you employ an impact wrench, loosen the bolt in small increments at the lowest setting that works or you'll twist the Torx socket making it unusable.

Edited by Mac-427

One caution after a first road test.  My new leather wheel is beautiful and a perfect match to the Katzkin seats on my 2020 Custom.  Nonetheless, my first drive showed the steering wheel to be very slightly off center.   I concluded that I had reinstalled the wheel one spline off so I removed it and clocked it one spline in the opposite direction.  This caused the new wheel to be off center in the other direction,  so it's going to the alignment shop that I've used for all my rods and customs.   Sorry, I don't trust the dealer to correct such a small change and since I installed the new steering wheel myself,  the issue won't be covered by warranty.  So, even though these steering wheels are supposed to be direct replacements, there are still tiny differences in how they are manufactured. 

Edited by Mac-427
  • Like 1