Steering problem

dough

Question

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 that seems to have developed a steering issue. When making a u-turn as I steer about 3/4 of the way to the left it starts to feel like the 4 wheel drive is engaged, but its not, making it hard to steer the rest of the way and make the turn. Only happened a few times over last two days. Does not happen every time and has not happened turning to the right yet. The fluid level is good, however it does look like very dirty and oily around the reservoir, but not wet with fresh fluid that I can see. I am thinking about replacing the pump, but wanted to hear any other ideas about what it could be. 

Thanks for your help.

4 answers to this question

Make sure the tires aren't rubbing on one side. I've seen vehicles with slightly bent front end components where they tracked straight on the road, but rubbed the tires against the frame when turned in one direction. 

You can jack vehicle up, support it GOOD,  and spin front driveshaft when in 2wd - make sure the front wheels don't spin. That will check to make sure the front wheels are disengaged. If not, there's something stuck mechanically in the front diff, or there's something shorted in the actuator switch (unless you do this test key off). Also check the CV axles for any damage or binding. 

• Like 1

If it is a 4 wheel drive, with the front end jacked up and on stands, turn the wheel by hand to full left and try rotating the tire by hand, repeat for full right turn.  If you can feel the wheel trying to straight out, and then return back to full turn it is likely a front axle outer cv joint starting to seize.  Check cv boots for any cuts or grease leaking out.  

Seizing ball joints is an easy check as Riverbanks suggests, and is something you should check.  Not uncommon for seized ball joints to break with no warning.  If you have see a vehicle on the side of the road with one wheel folded up inside the fender, that is a broken ball joint.