Proud owner of a new 2021 GMC 2500HD that needs some assistance with a problem concerning my driver's side mirror.

That problem, was caused my me:  The first time I backed the truck into my garage at night, I clipped the driver's mirror on the opening.  I have 10' wide doors, so there is no excuse, so give ahead and give me the business!  Hopefully you won't.

Took a few photos and shared them with the dealer's body shop and I was told I have to replace the mirror at $1800.  That parts were available, but nothing that would help me.

Let me describe the damage:  Looking at the front of the mirror (the side towards you with the mirrors), the lower fixed convex mirror cracked and fell off.  The main mirror works fine.  It can be remotely controlled and tilts downward when reversing, as I had it setup in settings.  The mirror folds and extends with no problems. All the electronics work including the blind spot indicator, front LED white lights,  the rear LED white lights and the amber markers.  There is not a mark on the mirror housing.  What cracked was the black plastic piece that holds the mirrors.  The chrome surround housing that the black plastic snaps in to is untouched.  The more I look at this mirror, the more I think I can fix it with parts from an identical mirror from a salvage yard.

I can post a few photos here if you wish.  I'd love to see an exploded parts view from GM, but I don't have that access.  This truck has all the mirrors for surround vision, towing and whatever else you can think.

If anyone reading this is a GM tech or body shop tech and might be able to give me a hand, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks much,

Mike

4 hours ago, coopermj said:

Proud owner of a new 2021 GMC 2500HD that needs some assistance with a problem concerning my driver's side mirror.

That problem, was caused my me:  The first time I backed the truck into my garage at night, I clipped the driver's mirror on the opening.  I have 10' wide doors, so there is no excuse, so give ahead and give me the business!  Hopefully you won't.

Took a few photos and shared them with the dealer's body shop and I was told I have to replace the mirror at $1800.  That parts were available, but nothing that would help me.

Let me describe the damage:  Looking at the front of the mirror (the side towards you with the mirrors), the lower fixed convex mirror cracked and fell off.  The main mirror works fine.  It can be remotely controlled and tilts downward when reversing, as I had it setup in settings.  The mirror folds and extends with no problems. All the electronics work including the blind spot indicator, front LED white lights,  the rear LED white lights and the amber markers.  There is not a mark on the mirror housing.  What cracked was the black plastic piece that holds the mirrors.  The chrome surround housing that the black plastic snaps in to is untouched.  The more I look at this mirror, the more I think I can fix it with parts from an identical mirror from a salvage yard.

I can post a few photos here if you wish.  I'd love to see an exploded parts view from GM, but I don't have that access.  This truck has all the mirrors for surround vision, towing and whatever else you can think.

If anyone reading this is a GM tech or body shop tech and might be able to give me a hand, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks much,

Mike

I maybe able to solve your problem. I have a brand new in the box mirror part number is 84879512. I bought it two weeks ago by accident I need the passenger side. I will make you the deal of the century. Dealer wants 40% restocking fee. 

8 minutes ago, MTU Alum said:

I would be careful on the mirrors.  There are at least 16 different outside rearview mirrors.  Need to know things like if the view has side blind zone, 360 deg camera, power extend or manual, power fold or manual, and color if its black or chrome.

#iworkforGM 

Good advice.  The part number on the quote I was given is 84879470.  It has everything:  blind side,  hd surround, power extend and power fold.  

I'm just trying to confirm that if I can replace the black plastic portion that snaps into the chrome surround.  This is piece that holds both mirrors.  I can see some Phillips head screws, but have no desire to take it apart without further advice and guidance.  I figured if I was lucky enough to pick one up at a salvage yard, I'd save $1800.  The want over $1200 for the mirror and then he added a calibration charge.  He said some mirrors are self-calibrating, but wasn't sure until they got into it.  Does that sound correct?

The only thing I believe has a calibration is if this is a passenger mirror.  The outside air temp sensor is in passengers mirror.  It will read -40 after its replaced until its driven for like 10 miles.  It may set a check engine light due to the two temp sensors not matching.  The mirrors come to flint completely assembled.  Other than swapping skull caps, I haven't torn into a mirror.  

#iworkforGM 

13 hours ago, coopermj said:

Good advice.  The part number on the quote I was given is 84879470.  It has everything:  blind side,  hd surround, power extend and power fold.  

I'm just trying to confirm that if I can replace the black plastic portion that snaps into the chrome surround.  This is piece that holds both mirrors.  I can see some Phillips head screws, but have no desire to take it apart without further advice and guidance.  I figured if I was lucky enough to pick one up at a salvage yard, I'd save $1800.  The want over $1200 for the mirror and then he added a calibration charge.  He said some mirrors are self-calibrating, but wasn't sure until they got into it.  Does that sound correct?

I’m sorry I think the guys are correct by saying this is not the proper part number. Sorry. Go to eBay there are a few mirrors that may interest you. If any one is looking please send them my way. Just trying to give someone a good deal so this mistake don’t hurt as bad. 

FDB09778-33A7-4634-9148-A27B1952742C.jpeg

A0EE955B-A0D0-4B4A-BE7B-2D0C41FEE688.jpeg

994D6FDE-F1AD-4253-A95B-21C901CEA40C.jpeg

586E3056-24AA-4743-98BE-2DF907344188.jpeg

48EE3AB8-0491-4FD7-9710-3C09AEA6BBA5.jpeg

88F19753-D026-4137-8957-F926871F9B18.jpeg

• 1 month later...