MAJOR FRAME DAMAGE/ poss totaled

2019 Silverado WT double cab, 4 wheel drive. 10,000 miles. 

well, what a crappy week.  Got rear ended by a vehicle while I was sitting at a red light. 35-40mph impact to my rear hitch and bumper.

Totally not my fault, the entire wreck was captured on my dash cam, and all costs listed below are being paid by the other person’s insurance company.

And yes, I could see the guy typing on his cell phone with my rear dashcam moments before he slammed into me at full speed. Me and my 10-year-old daughter were in the truck. And yes, we’re both medically fine

so I got two estimates today from two different auto body repair companies. 

Damages… (wait for it)

Tailgate has to be replaced, right and left rear bed quarter panels have to be repaired, new bumper, new hitch, and the worst part… when the hitch went forward it sheared the holes in the frame rails where it attaches with bolts to the frame. Basically the 3/4” holes in the frame rail that the hitch bolts go through, became 3 inch holes after being stretched and torn from the impact. Both auto body shops said the entire frame has to be replaced with another OEM frame. They said that they normally could put it on a frame straightener and straighten the frame out, but the shearing in the middle could not be repaired to a point that they could guarantee that the tow rating would remain the same as the engineers at GM designed this frame for. Also, I asked about sectional frame repair. They both told me that GM does not authorize sectional frame repair on these trucks Therefore, a complete new frame is needed.

The estimate average between the two body shops was around $12,000. Both shops said it would probably be in the shop for at least two months. The cost of two months rental for a full-size equivalent pick up truck is $99 a day. About $6000 bucks total. (could be more if not finished on time.)

diminished value… 

Online calculators give a total diminished  value estimate around $3000 due to the loss of trade-in value because of the now marred Carfax wreck history.  (i’ll have to probably beg, plead, and pray to Jesus, to get that money out of the car insurance company. I’ve done it before in past wrecks, but I’ve also been told to,  “kick rocks“ before.) and yes before anyone says it, I know I could “lawyer up” to get that money. But I really want to try to do this the right way first. There’s too much unknown of what will come next. Not saying I’m against lawyering up, but I’d really rather not. 

basically it’s a $21,000 minimum cost to the guy’s insurance company to repair this (when you add up everything mentioned above). keep in mind, my truck only has a actual wholesale value of around $28-$30,000.

is it totaled???

Per my state law, if damages exceed 75% of wholesale value, the vehicle is a total loss. However, I don’t know if they are calculating the rental fees, and the diminished value cost in that math. Maybe it’s just the actual body shop work/parts cost. I’m not sure. 

I would imagine that they would include The total cost to the insurance company, since the Insurance company would not have to pay this if they just totaled the vehicle outright. 

so I find out in the next couple days what the insurance company is going to decide to do. I really hope they total it and I’ll tell you why…

We all know that this truck was built in the GM assembly plant, to exact torque specs, clearances, etc. And a lot of that work was done by robots, calibrated tools, etc. I am sure “Billy Bob“ the autobody mechanic is not going to be as precise. (No offense to Billy Bob)

If the vehicle is not totaled, and it is completely disassembled and reassembled by auto body mechanics,  I will be selling it the day I get it back repaired. I refuse to drive around a “science experiment“. I feel like it will just be problem after problem from that point on. Forgive me if I’m being dramatic, but I really don’t even wanna take the chance. And God only knows how the hell that would affect my original factory warranty. I can see Chevrolet refusing to do anything with it from that point on. I’ll basically have to be going back to the body shop for any further problems. Then the body shop will blame Chevrolet, and vice versa. What a nightmare. 

and forgive me for calling the autobody mechanic “Billy Bob“. I have a lot of respect for these guys, and it’s truly an art that takes absolute talent to do. But I think we all know that I’m not wrong in assuming that this truck will not be built back to the same perfection that it came out of the GM plant with. 

I appreciate any thoughts or insights anyone on here might have. And just a reminder, any solid impact to your hitch will absolutely destroy your entire frame. The guy who hit me was only going about 35 to 40 mph. 

not sure what’s gonna happen from this point on, but I will be sure to update this post in the next few days

If you are a religious type, any prayers are appreciated.  👍🏻

Edited by BrizzoDaIzzo
Added tags
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, BrizzoDaIzzo said:

2019 Silverado WT double cab, 4 wheel drive. 10,000 miles. 

well, what a crappy week.  Got rear ended by a vehicle while I was sitting at a red light. 35-40mph impact to my rear hitch and bumper.

Totally not my fault, the entire wreck was captured on my dash cam, and all costs listed below are being paid by the other person’s insurance company.

And yes, I could see the guy typing on his cell phone with my rear dashcam moments before he slammed into me at full speed. Me and my 10-year-old daughter were in the truck. And yes, we’re both medically fine

so I got two estimates today from two different auto body repair companies. 

Damages… (wait for it)

Tailgate has to be replaced, right and left rear bed quarter panels have to be repaired, new bumper, new hitch, and the worst part… when the hitch went forward it sheared the holes in the frame rails where it attaches with bolts to the frame. Basically the 3/4” holes in the frame rail that the hitch bolts go through, became 3 inch holes after being stretched and torn from the impact. Both auto body shops said the entire frame has to be replaced with another OEM frame. They said that they normally could put it on a frame straightener and straighten the frame out, but the shearing in the middle could not be repaired to a point that they could guarantee that the tow rating would remain the same as the engineers at GM designed this frame for. Also, I asked about sectional frame repair. They both told me that GM does not authorize sectional frame repair on these trucks Therefore, a complete new frame is needed.

The estimate average between the two body shops was around $12,000. Both shops said it would probably be in the shop for at least two months. The cost of two months rental for a full-size equivalent pick up truck is $99 a day. About $6000 bucks total. (could be more if not finished on time.)

diminished value… 

Online calculators give a total diminished  value estimate around $3000 due to the loss of trade-in value because of the now marred Carfax wreck history.  (i’ll have to probably beg, plead, and pray to Jesus, to get that money out of the car insurance company. I’ve done it before in past wrecks, but I’ve also been told to,  “kick rocks“ before.) and yes before anyone says it, I know I could “lawyer up” to get that money. But I really want to try to do this the right way first. There’s too much unknown of what will come next. Not saying I’m against lawyering up, but I’d really rather not. 

basically it’s a $21,000 minimum cost to the guy’s insurance company to repair this (when you add up everything mentioned above). keep in mind, my truck only has a actual wholesale value of around $28-$30,000.

is it totaled???

Per my state law, if damages exceed 75% of wholesale value, the vehicle is a total loss. However, I don’t know if they are calculating the rental fees, and the diminished value cost in that math. Maybe it’s just the actual body shop work/parts cost. I’m not sure. 

I would imagine that they would include The total cost to the insurance company, since the Insurance company would not have to pay this if they just totaled the vehicle outright. 

so I find out in the next couple days what the insurance company is going to decide to do. I really hope they total it and I’ll tell you why…

We all know that this truck was built in the GM assembly plant, to exact torque specs, clearances, etc. And a lot of that work was done by robots, calibrated tools, etc. I am sure “Billy Bob“ the autobody mechanic is not going to be as precise. (No offense to Billy Bob)

If the vehicle is not totaled, and it is completely disassembled and reassembled by auto body mechanics,  I will be selling it the day I get it back repaired. I refuse to drive around a “science experiment“. I feel like it will just be problem after problem from that point on. Forgive me if I’m being dramatic, but I really don’t even wanna take the chance. And God only knows how the hell that would affect my original factory warranty. I can see Chevrolet refusing to do anything with it from that point on. I’ll basically have to be going back to the body shop for any further problems. Then the body shop will blame Chevrolet, and vice versa. What a nightmare. 

and forgive me for calling the autobody mechanic “Billy Bob“. I have a lot of respect for these guys, and it’s truly an art that takes absolute talent to do. But I think we all know that I’m not wrong in assuming that this truck will not be built back to the same perfection that it came out of the GM plant with. 

I appreciate any thoughts or insights anyone on here might have. And just a reminder, any solid impact to your hitch will absolutely destroy your entire frame. The guy who hit me was only going about 35 to 40 mph. 

not sure what’s gonna happen from this point on, but I will be sure to update this post in the next few days

If you are a religious type, any prayers are appreciated.  👍🏻

My 2014 had the the same thing happen when it had less than 10k miles.  It was around $9k and took about 7 business business days at a specialty shop.  Same case as yours, I was read ended, hitch and bumper bent down, thus bending the frame.

I drove that truck up to 99k miles until I traded it in.  Not once did I have any problems due to the frame replacement.

What they do essentially is put your new frame on one side of the shop and your truck next to it, and then start swapping parts. 

I wouldn't worry too much, but a few things to make sure of.  Use a shop that your insurance trusts and is approved by them.  Ensure you understand the warranty on the repair and what to do if any issues arise.  Once you get the truck home after it has been repaired, dedicate time to look over everything, and I mean everything.  Push every button, test every light, try all gears, engage 4wd, test the radio, check the AC and heat, check that the body lines are lined up, look in the engine bay and check connections and fluid levels, etc....

Definitely fight to get your diminished value claim filed and lawyer up if they refuse to pay.

• Like 1

Hey thanks so much for this. This is definitely very reassuring. This is kind of unknown territory for me and I wasn’t quite sure what I was walking into with this. One of the mechanics at the shop said that Ford has sectional repairable frames. Not quite sure why Chevy doesn’t do this since rear end collision‘s are very common. Not knocking on Chevy, I love them. But I’m sure they have their reasons and they are smarter than me.

thanks again for the insight, and it’s good to talk to someone who’s “been there“.

I have a buddy that had a new truck in an accident and needed the frame replaced. (not a GM, but one of the big 3)

He also had good experience with the truck after the replacement.

• Like 1

The frame is the rigid backbone of your truck. Literally everything on the truck is located off it. 

That’s why most makers don’t replace sections of it. 

Any good shop should be able to do this. I delivered replacement GM frames to body shops 20 years ago. 

Edited by AJMBLAZER

Not sure why people think repair jobs are some back yard hack job. The amount of machines, tools and training that go in to it are phenomenal. I had a buddy that went to school for that. Years of training and specializing in certain areas (he didn't paint or work in all areas and was trained fairly often on specific things he worked on). I would have no issues driving my truck after if they fix it, especially at a large reputable shop with the best equipment. Many times they can be repaired to the same or better than factory and it will be the same as new. Plus, many of times you can usually work out some changes or modifications. I have had different bumpers used (upgrades), items painted or replaced one after market item with something better and even paid a little more to have other things painted that weren't. If it isn't a total loss, make sure you are compensated but drive it and enjoy it, you will come out further behind by trying to dump it right away. 

Tyler

2 hours ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Not sure why people think repair jobs are some back yard hack job. The amount of machines, tools and training that go in to it are phenomenal. I had a buddy that went to school for that. Years of training and specializing in certain areas (he didn't paint or work in all areas and was trained fairly often on specific things he worked on). I would have no issues driving my truck after if they fix it, especially at a large reputable shop with the best equipment. Many times they can be repaired to the same or better than factory and it will be the same as new. Plus, many of times you can usually work out some changes or modifications. I have had different bumpers used (upgrades), items painted or replaced one after market item with something better and even paid a little more to have other things painted that weren't. If it isn't a total loss, make sure you are compensated but drive it and enjoy it, you will come out further behind by trying to dump it right away. 

Tyler

Hey, these are good words.  I totally agree with you.  These guys are truly talented artists.  110% agree.  

I have toured the inside of several automotive assembly plants in the past.  Robotically welded parts done with precision.  One tool specifically torqued and specked to one job. Quality assurance checks along the way. 

when replacing a frame, you are essentially rolling a truck down an assembly line backwards and then putting it all back together again.  But without the robotics, assembly line quality assurance, constantly calibrated torque tools, order of operation quality assurance, etc. 

it’s like trying to have Henry Ford build the Model T in his garage instead of a proper manufacturing plant.  People are human, things get missed/overlooked.  They aren’t bad people. It just seems like a lot to get “perfect” in a body shop.  Hell, GM doesn’t do it 100% all the time either.  The assembly line eliminates the chances that things go wrong (to a large degree)

anyhow, this is TOTALLY NOT a knock against the auto body worker.  More just a concern in my thoughts.  

You give too much faith in robots. I would rather have a real person assemble things most of the time. You realize every aircraft is torn apart by humans periodically and put back together. Have some more faith in people and less faith in robots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I understand your concern, long story short, my brother drove my dads truck and rear ended someone. Water pump and other things had to be replaced. We had nothing but problems with that truck afterwards. They got rid of that truck after constant repairs. Recently my dad was sideswiped, almost like an angled t-bone really. Tweaked the frame and of course body damage. After it was repaired he had no problems with it and said it rode better. 

Honestly if comes down to the luck sometimes. Just makes sure you use a highly rated repair shop that is recommended by the insurance company, either yours or theirs, and grill the repair shop with questions. Like if they use aftermarket parts or oem parts.  What is their warranty like and such.

Make the other guys insurance take care of your rental. You shouldn’t have to pay for that since it wasn’t like you were looking to be rear ended or anything. And as for the depreciation on your truck, it might not be as bad. The way the new/used car market is now it might not have affected it much. Believe it or not, after only having my truck for five days I was rear ended. Low speed impact, $3k in damage and labor. Just for fun we looked at the value of my truck, even with the accident, I can sale my truck for a profit.

Sorry for the long post, anyway good luck with the repairs and let’s us know what’s happens. 

Had my new 1500 mile Z71 hit in the left front by a red light runner going 50+ MPH in April. Bent the frame and front cross member along with associated body parts.  No air bag deployment. Same story as you would need the frame replaced.  The repairs were listed at over 30K, The insurance totaled the truck within 2 weeks.

Edited by WeGone

I hit some black ice in my 04 Jeep Wrangler and after bouncing it off the overpass three times I ended up pushing the front frame rails over 2 1/2".  They estimated $12,000.00 to replace the frame and repair all the damage.  Took them 6 weeks and when they got done the final cost was $16,789.00.  The insurance company could have totaled the Jeep and only had to pay me $19,800.00, so there is no telling what they may end up doing......  Good luck on your truck and good to hear you and your daughter are healthy....

• 2 months later...

Another story to add.  I hit a concrete post in my 2015 Silverado a month after I got it in 2016.  $23,000 worth of damage, including a total frame replacement.  It took weeks to get it back, but once I did it was fine.  Never had any issues.  Just traded in the truck last week after putting 80,000 more miles on it.  Yes, the value was diminished, but not terribly.  

• Like 1