Factory Order vs Dealer Lot

Greetings, 

Getting to the age/stage where this will probably be my last new vehicle to buy. I’d like a new 2500 HD gasser but wondered if it’s tremendously more expensive to make a factory order of exactly what I want vs getting one that’s “close” on the dealer lot. From reading some of the excellent information on this forum I’d like to steer clear of the sliding rear window.
I would like to know if it’s several thousand dollars or much more difference. I thank you in advance for your input. 
Dave 

there is no difference in price if you order vs. pick one off the lot.  There could be incentives in play that change monthly that may affect what you pay in the end.  Incentives could go up, down or remain unchanged.  I have bought trucks both ways and usually I am happier when I order exactly what I want.  Waiting is the hardest part.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D A said:

Greetings, 

Getting to the age/stage where this will probably be my last new vehicle to buy. I’d like a new 2500 HD gasser but wondered if it’s tremendously more expensive to make a factory order of exactly what I want vs getting one that’s “close” on the dealer lot. From reading some of the excellent information on this forum I’d like to steer clear of the sliding rear window.
I would like to know if it’s several thousand dollars or much more difference. I thank you in advance for your input. 
Dave 

If you order a truck, you get even a better deal. You get supplier pricing + rebates at time of delivery. So if the dealer is not an invoice seller you could save $3000-$5000 off a lot truck.

1 hour ago, J-man67 said:

Why don't you want the rear slider? Im trying to find a truck with one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the OP wants to stay away from the slider because they all leak, or are going to, until GM changes the design entirely.

My Dodge Ram used to leak through the clearance lights. It had a fixed rear window. Now I have no clearance lights and a sliding rear window. I haven't noticed any leaks yet (from car washing). It is garaged and it hardly rains in So. Calif. I drive very few miles so it is likely it won't start leaking until after the warranty expires.

Problem is some of the packages you have to order to get what you want sometimes include features you don't want. If you consider that, some of the trucks on the lot might as close as you will get to what you want.

Carefully go through the build and price and watch what options change as you add or remove a "package". Some will leave you scratching your head. It's not like the good old days when you could actually order only what you wanted and nothing more. We live in the world of "bundled" features.

On 12/5/2020 at 12:00 PM, maynard9089 said:

I have had one on my last 5 trucks and none have leaked. I never used them though and I have always wondered if use contributes to the frame cracks that cause the leaks. 

On 12/5/2020 at 1:49 PM, mjm-1957 said:

Potential water leak, just like a sun roof.The less openings the better.

The leak isn’t so much the window, but GM’s thin, flexing cab and a cheap designed window frame that doesn’t do well with the flexing of the cab. It’s not so much caused by use of the window as it is use of the truck itself.

1 hour ago, maynard9089 said:

The dynamic of the window moving could be a major contributor to the flexing.  

Possible, yes, but many never open the window with any regularity. Interesting though, the solid windows are not known to have near the issues the sliders have. The combination of the poor sliding frame and flexing cab have led to this. Having the spoiler on the cab and the top of the window frame external from the body of the truck doesn’t help, either. One can only hope the 2022 1500s have this remedied, but the rear of the cab looks the same. I really think GM is lost on this and has no solution, as they aren’t going to re-engineer the cab anytime soon.

I would consider other factors as well.  My 2020 DRW was the first vehicle I ordered versus buying off the lot or having a dealer locate what I wanted.  New truck took a long time to get due to the strike, and it had the steering shake when I got it.  It took a lot of time and frustration to figure it out and get it corrected.

Yes, I should have caught this in the brief test drive, but it is much easier to test drive a vehicle on the lot and move on if there are issues.

I just brought home my new and perhaps last new truck, it had been 20 years since I bought my 01 silverado new.  Traded in an 03 Sierra 1500hd for a stock unit. All black Custom with convenience pkg, value pkg, GN/5th pkg, cloth, floor liners, side steps, heated power fold tow mirrors, dark essentials, plow prep.  Given that this unit had all I wanted and more and was a stock unit it all worked out.  Plus, employee pricing incentives.  48380 was reduced to 42980 plus they gave me more than I expected on trade.  So far a pretty kick ass truck.  Can't wait to see how it tows boat /camper.

I always deal with the Fleet manager or General manager if there is no fleet man - both are on salary vs commission. If you order and immediately take delivery of your vehicle then there is zero floor plan costs involved - the truck doesn't sit there being financed by the dealership. The incentives vary by month and that will affect your out the door price. Find out if your dealer accepts the Costco $1000 off certificate in addition to the factory incentives. There are other incentives, such as Supplier pricing, 1st responder/medical and GM employee pricing. I ordered my Sierra 2500HD SLT in September and took delivery right before Thanksgiving - got a 2021. My dealer had a hell of a time getting my truck allocated as most have already been spoken for. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!! Can't say enough good things about Key Buick-GMC  and General Manager Derek Archer and salesman "DW" in Jacksonville, FL. Parts department manager, Scott Berni, is great, too - ordered my accessories and used my 21,000 points from GMC Rewards and got 25% off for factory sale to boot!!! They beat any dealership throughout NE Florida and customer service was superb!!! Tell him Sam Michael sent you!!!

• Like 1