Getting another one.

I have the 5.3L and have wavered back and forth about getting the 6.2L or the 3.0L whenever I trade my 2019 in sometime in the next 1-2 years. I feel the same dilemma as you do, OP. 

On one hand, I love the fuel efficiency and the torque of the 3.0L. On the other hand, I love the sound of a V8, and the 6.2L is a beast. 

When I'm actually in the truck driving around in my usual driving, I find myself realizing that the 5.3L actually is a good fit for me. I think the 6.2L is something I just wish I had in specific moments (mainly accelerating for fun). I don't really tow, and I put about 8K miles on per year so MPG nor premium fuel is really a big issue for me. 

Suppose what I am saying is... stick with the 5.3L. You won't be buying an engine that is more costly to own (both 6.2L and 3.0L), and it really has a rock-solid performance history. 
I agree, not sure if you can get the 5.3 with the 10 speed in a Silverado, only GMC.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, leverett.scott said:

I agree, not sure if you can get the 5.3 with the 10 speed in a Silverado, only GMC.

Only in the LT TB (and HC, I think), oddly. 

Edited by econometrics

I absolutely love my 2020 LTZ Crew Cab short box Z-71 with the 6.2 and 10 speed auto. It’s a truck so I don’t expect Prius like mpg numbers. I ordered it with the 6.2 so feeding it premium is no big deal. For being as big as it is. On two 300 mile road trips this past summer I averaged 24-25 mpg on mostly highway driving at 65mph with the ac blasting. Pretty impressive to me. I’m haven’t owned a full size truck in 25 years. And I’m completely blown away by this trucks features and technology. The 6.2 with the 10 speed is like peanut butter and jelly. Even though I still have the stock exhaust on for now. The sound when I step on it is intoxicating. The mpg to me is a bonus. For not driving it like I stole it. 

I have now owned 3 of these trucks and want to chime in. I had a 2019 Silverado with 5.3 8 speed, a 2020 Silverado with 5.3 8 speed, and now have a 20 Silverado with 6.2 10 speed. My good friend has a 20 with the 3.0 and I drive it all the time.

Without any doubt at all, I LOVE the 6.2 10 speed the most. I have never ever put premium in it (ever), and it is still enormously better then the 5.3 and I am getting almost the same fuel economy out of it when not pushing the petal hard.  The 3.0 is great to drive, and I like "borrowing it", but when you drive it everyday, its simply just not as nice. I think any money you are saving on the fuel now, will just be spent on maintenance on this 3.0 later anyway and its just not as useful to own now. There is a big difference between borrowing a truck you like, and then owning it.  My vote without any doubt is the 6.2 10 speed.

Edited by Kennewbike

I have now owned 3 of these trucks and want to chime in. I had a 2019 Silverado with 5.3 8 speed, a 2020 Silverado with 5.3 8 speed, and now have a 20 Silverado with 6.2 10 speed. My good friend has a 20 with the 3.0 and I drive it all the time.

Without any doubt at all, I LOVE the 6.2 10 speed the most. I have never ever put premium in it (ever), and it is still enormously better then the 5.3 and I am getting almost the same fuel economy out of it when not pushing the petal hard.  The 3.0 is great to drive, and I like "borrowing it", but when you drive it everyday, its simply just not as nice. I think any money you are saving on the fuel now, will just be spent on maintenance on this 3.0 later anyway and its just not as useful to own now. There is a big difference between borrowing a truck you like, and then owning it.  My vote without any doubt is the 6.2 10 speed.
Appreciate it.

I absolutely love my 2020 LTZ Crew Cab short box Z-71 with the 6.2 and 10 speed auto. It’s a truck so I don’t expect Prius like mpg numbers. I ordered it with the 6.2 so feeding it premium is no big deal. For being as big as it is. On two 300 mile road trips this past summer I averaged 24-25 mpg on mostly highway driving at 65mph with the ac blasting. Pretty impressive to me. I’m haven’t owned a full size truck in 25 years. And I’m completely blown away by this trucks features and technology. The 6.2 with the 10 speed is like peanut butter and jelly. Even though I still have the stock exhaust on for now. The sound when I step on it is intoxicating. The mpg to me is a bonus. For not driving it like I stole it. 
I like peanut butter and jelly, thanks for the advice.

15 hours ago, steelcity said:

5.3 mated to the 10 speed is a game changer.

Absolutely agree.  My '18 Denali had the 5.3 w/ 8 speed and when upgrading to a '21 I had my heart set on the 3.0 or the 6.2, BUT once I test drove the 5.3 with the 10 speed I felt like it was a totally different engine.  Very happy with the 5.3....now!

• Like 1

I have the 3.0L w/ 10 Speed. LOVE IT. Very quick. Smooth. 22-25mpg City. 28-30 MPG hwy. Pulls my heavy 21' Hurricane Deck boat like a charm. My son has a 5.3L and I pulled the same boat. It was working much harder than the 3.0. BTW I like the Diesel sound. Sounds like power.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kennewbike said:

Without any doubt at all, I LOVE the 6.2 10 speed the most. I have never ever put premium in it (ever), and it is still enormously better then the 5.3 and I am getting almost the same fuel economy out of it when not pushing the petal hard.  

Please tell me how it is ENORMOUSLY better?

Please tell me why you don't use 93 octane fuel?

Edited by steelcity

27 minutes ago, steelcity said:

Please tell me how it is ENORMOUSLY better?

Please tell me why you don't use 93 octane fuel?

Enormously better

1. My 6.2 with 10 speed shifts so smooth I can barely feel it. My 5.3 8 speed felt like I was getting rear ended many times it would shift gears.  I think its enormously better to drive a truck that shifts well

2. My 6.2 has a ton more power.  I think its enormously better with more power

3. My 6.2 feels simply more "fun" to drive.  I think its enormously better when you spend this kind of money that you enjoy what you are driving.

4. I'm "old school" and still believe in the saying "there is no replacement for displacement".

I don't use 93 octane because it is far more expensive where I live, and I did not feel any difference, nor see any MPG increase when I did use 93 octane.  I prefer to not spend money unless I see a return.

27 minutes ago, steelcity said:

Another vote for the 6.2 with 10 speed after owning two 5.3 with 6 speeds.  My gas mileage experience.  There's obviously a sweet spot regarding highway gas mileage.  First 500 mileage road trip averaged 18 mpg.  I attribute this to driving in mostly rain and averaging 60-70 mph with a slight south tail wind.  Second 500 mileage road trip averaged 14 mpg.  This time no rain, averaging 75-84 mph with no tail wind to speak of.  Around town averaging 13-14 mpg.  Ran a tank of 87 octane to see effects.  Performance was off but not significantly.  However, gas mileage dropped to 11 mpg in town.  

Edited by TXTrlBoss
  • Like 1

I couldn't wait to burn through the 87 octane the dealer put in my 6.2l when I bought it. It sounds and feels very noticeably better when running a top-tier 93 octane fuel. But back to the OP...

I knew I had a need for V8 sound and power, so the 6.2l was effectively locked in before I hit the dealer lot. But I did drive the 3.0l and have to say I was more impressed than expected. For a daily driver that low-end torque, combined with fuel economy, is hard to beat. 

And if you aren't planning on putting on an aftermarket exhaust, the V8 sound is super muffled on these newer trucks. Nothing like my 2009 I used to have, which sounded great from the factory. I had the dealer install the Borla Touring exhaust before I even took delivery. 

As usual, it's all about what you want and need. Take multiple long test drives. Long enough so that you can see fuel economy and performance during what is a "normal drive" for you. Good luck!

29 minutes ago, omegafiler said:

I couldn't wait to burn through the 87 octane the dealer put in my 6.2l when I bought it. It sounds and feels very noticeably better when running a top-tier 93 octane fuel. 

Yup. If ya can’t feed it, don’t breed it. Or something like that. ?

I don’t see much point in buying a performance engine and then running junk fuel through it. 11.5:1 compression. I don’t care how much DI helps, it’s going to be pulling timing on 87. And it does.

• Like 4