Getting another one.

I currently have a 2019 RST, 5.3, 8 speed. I'm trading it in the get the 10 speed, I had a ton of transmission problems with my old Silverado, not doing it with this one.

My problem is, I can't figure out what engine I want, 3.0 or 6.2.

Pro

- 420 hp [emoji41]

- Decent gas mileage

- Higher tow capability

Con

- Premium gas

- Towing gas mileage?

Pro

- Great gas mileage

- Good for towing

Con

I might miss the sound of a V-8.

Lower tow capability

Expensive in the shop once out of warranty.

I plan to buy a boat in the next couple yrs, do not tow much now. I plan to keep the truck for a long time.

Let me hear your opinions, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I have a 6.2L and love it to death, but after driving  my stepdads 2020 Sierra 5.3L with new 10 speed, I could see myself buying one because it does at times get “cumbersome” putting premium fuel in the 6.2L. I know it’s not required but if you want all the performance out of the truck, might as well put it in.

GM did a great job making the 5.3L a respectable performer compared to the older K2 trucks.  I was truly impressed how well the truck accelerated, handled, and towed when driving it. I came from 2 K2 5.3L and it’s night and day difference.  
The 5.3L with 10 spd should be considered and he is getting about 3 mpgs better than my truck

Good luck with your decision 

Edited by TNTSilverado

I have the 5.3L and have wavered back and forth about getting the 6.2L or the 3.0L whenever I trade my 2019 in sometime in the next 1-2 years. I feel the same dilemma as you do, OP. 

On one hand, I love the fuel efficiency and the torque of the 3.0L. On the other hand, I love the sound of a V8, and the 6.2L is a beast. 

When I'm actually in the truck driving around in my usual driving, I find myself realizing that the 5.3L actually is a good fit for me. I think the 6.2L is something I just wish I had in specific moments (mainly accelerating for fun). I don't really tow, and I put about 8K miles on per year so MPG nor premium fuel is really a big issue for me. 

Suppose what I am saying is... stick with the 5.3L. You won't be buying an engine that is more costly to own (both 6.2L and 3.0L), and it really has a rock-solid performance history. 

Can’t beat the entertainment of the 6.2. But it is a thirsty MOFO. Currently at a lifetime economy of 14.1 MPG. Gonna see how gas prices are with the new leadership. Might wind up in a 3.0 by this time next year if things are looking bad.

Unless you find a deal you can’t turn down, you might wanna wait too. Won’t be long before the 2022 refresh is seen and it might put a hold on your plans.

• Like 2

Dude, I was in the same boat some months ago.  Then I found the 2020 2500HD LT w/ the 6.6 gas.  I like it better than the 6.2 and takes regular gas.  The 6 speed is a def upgrade over the old 6 speed.  No clunking.  Smooth as silk.  Oh... and no cylinder deactivation.  No shut down at stop...  Iron block 400... whats not to love!

Like all the new models, the new 2500's are not without their issues.  However, I am so happy I got it over the 6.2 trail boss.

I've never done it because I am more than happy with the performance of my 5.3, but has anyone done a true comparison of a 5.3 running 87 octane vs one running 92 octane ?

Add an aftermarket CAI and exhaust and make all of the V-8 sound you want.

Once you have the 3.0 .. you'll not miss having the 6.2L 

Unless you are still into holeshots from red lights, there's just nothing compelling about the 6.2 compared to the 3.0.

I've owned both and will not look back at a gas gulper like the 6.2.  We're talking 40% better mileage in most cases IME. And, the 3.0 goes when you need it to.

Test drive both, you'll see.

38 minutes ago, steve841 said:

Once you have the 3.0 .. you'll not miss having the 6.2L 

Unless you are still into holeshots from red lights, there's just nothing compelling about the 6.2 compared to the 3.0.

I've owned both and will not look back at a gas gulper like the 6.2.  We're talking 40% better mileage in most cases IME. And, the 3.0 goes when you need it to.

Test drive both, you'll see.

You’re making me regret my recent purchase. I didn’t drive the 3.0 as I’m a sucker for a big v8. This thing drinks like I do! 

3 minutes ago, GMC207 said:

You’re making me regret my recent purchase. I didn’t drive the 3.0 as I’m a sucker for a big v8. This thing drinks like I do! 

LMAO ...  I've had 2 6.2's .. and couldnt take it anymore.  Bought the 3.0 without even driving it.  Same day, my brother bought the 6.2.

He quickly came to the realization he made a big mistake.  Best I ever saw on the 6.2 was 22 MPG on the 3.0, I hit 36!!!!

3 minutes ago, steve841 said:

LMAO ...  I've had 2 6.2's .. and couldnt take it anymore.  Bought the 3.0 without even driving it.  Same day, my brother bought the 6.2.

He quickly came to the realization he made a big mistake.  Best I ever saw on the 6.2 was 22 MPG on the 3.0, I hit 36!!!!

I guess I shouldn’t have judged it without driving it. I didn’t even consider it. I assumed it was a turd on the road haha. Baby D max. I’m gonna have to go take one out. 

Take one out you’ll love it!

I had a 17’ 5.3 that I Traded for the 3.0. The 3.0 does have a slight exhaust sound when your driving. I’d say the sound is more noticeable while driving then outside.

I thought I would miss that v8 sound as well however over the past month and half I haven’t missed it once. Towing wise I can still tow 8500lbs, only 500 less than my 17’ 5.3.  

Edited by Crazypontiac03