Getting another one.

Can't tell you what to get but can share my general feelings when it comes to this debate:

1. I LOVE my 3.0 Duramax and happy I got it.

2. Sound - purely personal feeling, some love that good V8 sound and can't blame them one bit. Not a big deal for me, I actually really like the diesel sound. This 3.0 is very quiet which I also prefer. Others will certainly disagree.

3. I just changed my fuel filter for the first time at 25K+ miles, and I've done a lot of towing. You probably won't have to replace yours within the first 2 years and it's only like 100 or so bucks at dealership <1/2 penny per mile

4. Price of DEF? it's like $2/gallon and you don't fly through it unless your towing heavy loads a lot. Doesn't sound like the case in your situation. Put in a couple gallons every thousand miles at call it $5 total... Is this really a deal killer when you're buying a $40K-50K-60K truck?

5. Price of Diesel? In my experience it's been significantly cheaper than Premium gas and it quite a few cases actually cheaper the Regular gas!

6. Longer warranty on the 3.0 engine

7. Towing capacity? Be realistic how big a boat are you getting? If you're never going to tow anything that pushes that higher limit then towing capacity debate is irrevelant. It would be similar to saying the 6.2 max speed is 130 mph but the 3.0 max speed is only 120 mph. Advantage 6.2. Do you ever EVER plan on driving 120+??

Cheers! ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Leevon said:

Can't go wrong with any of them.  I'd be concerned about the long-term repair cost potential of the 3.0 though.  Anything with a 10-speed...8-speed is a turd.  

3.0 and 6.6 comes with a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, vs 60,000 5 year powertrain on the gassers.

Bumper to bumper is still 36,000 3 year on them all.

https://www.gmc.com/owners/warranty-details

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed on the new 6.6L gas motor. It’s gotten great reviews. Lots of power. It just needs the 10 speed backed behind it to unleash it’s full potential. I don’t understand why GM isn’t putting 10 speed in all their vehicles?  

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed on the new 6.6L gas motor. It’s gotten great reviews. Lots of power. It just needs the 10 speed backed behind it to unleash it’s full potential. I don’t understand why GM isn’t putting 10 speed in all their vehicles?  
This is why I'm hesitant on getting the gasser. They have also changed the gearing from 4.10 to 3.73.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

On 12/30/2020 at 12:06 PM, TNTSilverado said:

1500 one is too light

25/3500 one is too heavy.

They need a 3rd one that is 'just right' for the HD duty cycle at the LT8 torque level. 

Edited by redwngr

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

1500 one is too light

25/3500 one is too heavy.

They need a 3rd one that is 'just right' for the HD duty cycle at the LT8 torque level. 

So your thinking like I have thought that GM should bring back the big block 8.1L behemoth??  I totally agree

4 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

So your thinking like I have thought that GM should bring back the big block 8.1L behemoth??  I totally agree

Nope.

It's 8.1 was no where near the torque capability of the HD 10 speed either.

6.6L LT8  401 Hp  464 ft-lb 

8.1L L18  340 Hp 455 ft-lb  (for 2001/2/3;  2004/5/6 were lower) 

I'm thinking they need a different transmission to match up with the LT8

They do have the 10L90 that handles 650tq in the ZL1. Seems like it would slot in nicely between the half ton 10 speed and the “Allison”. 

But it all comes down to money. And that there’s no requirement to report fuel economy the HD segment, thus no reason to increase efficiency. 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:20 PM, leverett.scott said:

I love the 5.3, but I don't think you can get the 5.3 with the 10 speed in a Silverado, only GMC.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Your wrong. I have 2020 Trail Boss 5.3 L84 10 speed. Love it.

I have a 2020 LT with the 3.0, slightly over 16K so far and zero issues. Averaging 25-30 mpg on highway and have gotten as high as 38 with a good tail wind. Def usage has been minimal, have not added any between oil changes which I do every 5K, usually takes about 4 gallon for 5K. Fuel filter life was showing 44% at 16K when I had dealer change it at last service, cost $100 to have dealer do it which isn't really bad figuring you should get at least a year out of one although I will do the next one myself as a filter kit online is only $25 and it takes less than 15 minutes, this I plan to do yearly. The price of diesel and the higher octane gas is usually comparable to one another in my area although 91 octane is the most prevalent, 93 is scarce in my area. I would say that 80% of my driving is rural as I live in a rural area and do a lot of hunting and short trips to the farm. So far I am very happy with the 3.0 and 10 speed combo, this coming from a 19 Trail Boss which I had a lot of issues with.

13 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

They do have the 10L90 that handles 650tq in the ZL1. Seems like it would slot in nicely between the half ton 10 speed and the “Allison”. 

But it all comes down to money. And that there’s no requirement to report fuel economy the HD segment, thus no reason to increase efficiency. 

Instantaneous torque capability isn't the same as 'long period of time' torque capability. 

Duty cycle requirement in the HD segment will have a much higher percentage of full load than in the sport world. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, redwngr said:

Nope.

It's 8.1 was no where near the torque capability of the HD 10 speed either.

6.6L LT8  401 Hp  464 ft-lb 

8.1L L18  340 Hp 455 ft-lb  (for 2001/2/3;  2004/5/6 were lower) 

I'm thinking they need a different transmission to match up with the LT8

That’s the old 8.1L power number

with direct injection and other new technology they could get 500 HP out of 8.1L 

and the 10 spd would be perfect for this engine and even the 6.6L gasser.