Getting another one.

1 hour ago, Kennewbike said:

Enormously better

1. My 6.2 with 10 speed shifts so smooth I can barely feel it. My 5.3 8 speed felt like I was getting rear ended many times it would shift gears.  I think its enormously better to drive a truck that shifts well

2. My 6.2 has a ton more power.  I think its enormously better with more power

3. My 6.2 feels simply more "fun" to drive.  I think its enormously better when you spend this kind of money that you enjoy what you are driving.

4. I'm "old school" and still believe in the saying "there is no replacement for displacement".

I don't use 93 octane because it is far more expensive where I live, and I did not feel any difference, nor see any MPG increase when I did use 93 octane.  I prefer to not spend money unless I see a return.

So you've never driven a 5.3 with a 10 speed?

Where is all that displacement taking you? Over speed bumps at the mall? Stop light to stop light? Where exactly do you use that "ton" of more power?

Edited by steelcity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You use to be able to tune it close to 6.2 power with a 5.3. Up until recently E-85 would do the trick. A little shopping could get you a killer deal on a loaded 5.3. A little tuning the right fuel your there. Saving a ton of money. When working I did that about every two years. Buying a 6.2 and running reg gas doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, steelcity said:

So you've never driven a 5.3 with a 10 speed?

Where is all that displacement taking you? Over speed bumps at the mall? Stop light to stop light? Where exactly do you use that "ton" of more power?

Sorry, that was a misprint by me. My first truck was a 2019 5.3 with 8 speed. My second truck was a 2020 5.3 with 10 speed, and now I have a 6.2 with 10 speed.  I enjoyed all of the trucks, but had very hard shifting on the 8 speed. I did really like the 5.3 10 speed a lot, until I got the 6.2. 

I noticed the difference in power even just leaving the dealership. The truck took a week to come in and I actually never really thought about the 6.2 and when was pulling out of the dealership, I noticed the difference. Sure you don't need the extra power, and no I don't race it "light to light", but lets face it, more power is nicer. The same went for the Camaro  and the Challenger I have. I could have bought them with 6 cylinder, but more power is more fun no matter how you twist it. 

I honestly didn't notice any power gains (seat of the pants is only measurement I used), and no increase in MPG with the 93, but I'll be honest and want to try again since others have said they noticed it. I definitely didn't buy this truck for "performance" (I have cars for that), but I just figured if I'm already spending this much money for a new HC, I may as well get one that puts the biggest smile on my face.  I can certainly see the advantages of the 3.0 for other needs as well. It all really comes down to what you want your truck for I guess.

Edited by Kennewbike
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, leverett.scott said:

I currently have a 2019 RST, 5.3, 8 speed. I'm trading it in the get the 10 speed, I had a ton of transmission problems with my old Silverado, not doing it with this one.

My problem is, I can't figure out what engine I want, 3.0 or 6.2.

Pro

- 420 hp emoji41.png

- Decent gas mileage

- Higher tow capability

Con

- Premium gas

- Towing gas mileage?

Pro

- Great gas mileage

- Good for towing

Con

I might miss the sound of a V-8.

Lower tow capability

Expensive in the shop once out of warranty.

I plan to buy a boat in the next couple yrs, do not tow much now. I plan to keep the truck for a long time.

Let me hear your opinions, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Don't forget the price of DEF fluid, frequent fuel filter changes, and the higher price of fuel for the 3.0

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Don't forget the price of DEF fluid, frequent fuel filter changes, and the higher price of fuel for the 3.0

Frequent fuel filter changes?  Im 9,000 miles in and it still says 83% remaining .... 

DEF, cant argue that.  But, its use is not obscene ....

• Like 2

Tough question.  90% of my driving is towing a trailer.  So, Im not a good reference.

Again though, its not crazy use.  I dont think its ever been much below half when Ive filled it back up.  you get mileage notices on the info screen and there's a gauge.

Certainly not a disqualifier for the benefits of the 3.0

2 tank refills probably covers the cost of DEF compared to a 6.2 using premium. (mileage + fuel cost savings).

5 hours ago, steve841 said:

Tough question.  90% of my driving is towing a trailer.  So, Im not a good reference.

Again though, its not crazy use.  I dont think its ever been much below half when Ive filled it back up.  you get mileage notices on the info screen and there's a gauge.

Certainly not a disqualifier for the benefits of the 3.0

2 tank refills probably covers the cost of DEF compared to a 6.2 using premium. (mileage + fuel cost savings).

Here, diesel is quite a bit cheaper than high test.

DEF, from a bulk location (truck stop) is about $3.00 usgal.

Both 6.6's I ran got 1100 -1200 mpg, doing primarily daily driver work.  Based on posts here and other forums, it's appears that the def indicator is a bad way to try and determine mileage -- so I took it to a bulk pump and topped it off and recorded the odometer reading.

Someday I'll be able to post def mpg for this one, along with info about what the def level/range indicator has shown. 

So far (but it's early) it's using less fuel than the 6.6.  I'll be disappointed if the def usage isn't as good or better than the 6.6L

6 hours ago, leverett.scott said:

If you are driving in NORMAL conditions daily, how often do you all think you have to fill the DEF tank?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I'm expecting 1200 mpg or more, based on experience with 2011 LML and 2018 L5P

Big thing right now too is GM cut the option price on the 3.0 so its cheaper to buy and cheaper to fill up at the tank.  Comparing them on fueleconomy.gov, its almost $5000 cheaper in fuel costs over 5 years to operate the diesel, and even if you add in DEF, fuel filters and a bit more for oil changes, its still cheaper in that 5 year window.