Torn between Trail boss or RST

I am torn between which truck I should get and would like your opinion, 

I am thinking of purchasing the 4x4 RST crew cab with Z71 package to get 4lo, adding 17inch rims and AT tires  along with upgrading suspension w/ 2-3inch lift, which i suspect to cost me 4 to 5k. I believe that this is the better route because I can make the truck the way I want it to look with a better suspension for about the same price as the trail boss. CONS i would probably lose all warranty on the truck and I am worried that lifting it my cause more wear and tear on certain components. I could buy the GM 2 inch lift, but I mine as well had bought the trail boss. I also would be getting the 8 speed in the RST instead of the 10 speed in the trail boss. 

OR 

Just buy the trail boss? 

I plan on using the truck as occasionally going to the snow/ light off roading, and daily driver (8 to 10k miles per year)

Thoughts?

If I had a choice at the time, I would have gone with the 10 speed as well, but 2020+ 8 speeds are great and have had zero issues, it appears they finally got it right.  Mine runs like butter and I rarely feel a shift, even then I have to be paying attention, its just so smooth. 

First, the only difference in suspension between the Trailboss/AT4 and the nons are the shocks, extended CV's, and rear blocks.  The springs are the same, so the only true suspension component that is different are the shocks.  The extended CV's are nice if your going to be doing 4+ inches of lift, but not needed for 2-3 inches of lift.  So, the only real difference that is notable if your going to be lifting a stock truck to trail boss height is the shock and rear block.  $1200 is crazy expensive for shocks and rear blocks, especially when they are only considered OK and not great.  There are cheaper and much better quality shocks out there.   Bilstein makes an adjustable shock that is superior to the factory Trail Boss Ranchos and is considerably better performing.  The Eibach Pro Truck lift upgrades shocks and springs(which the Trail Boss  factory option doesn't) and is adjustable up to 3 inch ($500-$600).  There are many cheaper and considerably better value options than the factory Trail Boss lift so don't feel obligated to go that route as an option if you purchase a non Trail Boss.

As for wheels, you can find Trail Boss and AT4 wheel and tire take offs on craigslist and facebook market place all day long for $1,100 - $1,200 in like new condition.  I purchased brand new take off 18" AT4 wheels WITH Duratracs for $800 this past Friday (a steal, I doubt you will find a set that cheap and it took me forever to find them) so it can be done for relatively cheap.

I have approximately $600 in a suspension that includes adjustable height shocks and springs, and $800 in AT4 wheels and tires for a total of $1.400.  That gets me the stance of the Trail Boss/AT4, with 18' wheels and tires, but with a much better on-road handling suspension.  I have not had the pleasure of driving a Trail Boss off-road so I cant compare off-road capabilities, but my stock Z71 suspension was good off-road so I would imagine that the Trail Boss suspension would be equally as good or better.

Good luck with your choice, either way you will have a smile on your face and an awesome truck in your driveway!

4 minutes ago, American Cobra said:

I have owned both the 8 speed and now the 10 speed, and I can't say enough how much of a difference this 10 speed makes.  I love it.  I would go TB route on that difference alone.

Now your just making me super jealous of the 10 spd. :)

Drive them both and see which one you like better. What look do you prefer? The Trail Boss had a blacked out grill and red tow hooks along with decals and different floor mats. The RST grill is the same as the body color. 

The 10 speed is an awesome transmission! The shifts remind me of my old DMax I had with an Allison. Very precise and quick.

I actually liked my 8 speed more than my current 10 speed. 

I lifted/leveled my RST 1.5" with a top mount spacer.  It's 39 1/4" in the front to top of fender.  After measuring about 10 Trail Boss's, it seems about the same height in the front.  Mine now sits at about 39 1/4" at all fours.

I went with the 2020 RST Z71 and love my truck, it’s smooth as I could ever expect from a truck and came with 18” wheels. I looked at some TB’s but they cost around $10,000 more and I just couldn’t do that 

I have a 2021 RST z71 texas edition, am very happy with it and the 6.2L/10 speed. I installed aftermarket wheels and 285/70/17 BFG KO2’s. Didn’t modify suspension at all. Drives like butter, and no warranty issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove both with the 6.2/10spd when I was shopping and ended up with the RST. I thought it rode better and was quieter. Plus I was able to find a double cab RST with the 6.2 and I prefer a double cab anyways. 

As a side note, I detail cars on the side and I'm very particular about how mine look. I love the look of the black front bumper on the TB but all I could think about was how hard it would be to keep swirls and scratches out of, especially on the front. 

26 minutes ago, BluegrassMotorsport said:

I drove both with the 6.2/10spd when I was shopping and ended up with the RST. I thought it rode better and was quieter. Plus I was able to find a double cab RST with the 6.2 and I prefer a double cab anyways. 

As a side note, I detail cars on the side and I'm very particular about how mine look. I love the look of the black front bumper on the TB but all I could think about was how hard it would be to keep swirls and scratches out of, especially on the front. 

You could installed 3m clear Film on the Bumper , Mirror Caps, 8" on front of grill .

I am currently driving a 2021 RST Silverado with 6.2L and 10 speed and also running in 17 inch wheels, while my High Country is getting fixed.  It’s a nice truck, rides nice in the 17s, and it is really quiet.  I’d get this instead of a Trailboss just because I like street trucks better than off road trucks.  Don’t get me wrong, I think the trailboss’ are b@d@SS looking, just not my cup of tea.