Goodyear Trailrunner ATs junk in snow?

Zbass_10

Anyone have issues with the trailrunners in the snow?  Coming off our first snowfall in Western NY and I am extremely disappointed in the performance of the trailrunners in the snow.  No grip from these tires and the truck slides around like crazy.  These are the stock 275/60/20s on the GMC Elevation.  I had a '19 trail boss with duratracs and traded it in for a '20 elevation with the trailrunners and it feels like I went from a tank to a prius.  Others experiencing similar performance issues with the trailrunners?  I like the gas mileage and noise levels of the Elevation as compared to the trail boss but would consider going back with how this thing slides around in the snow.  Interested in what others have experienced.  

44 minutes ago, Zbass_10 said:

Anyone have issues with the trailrunners in the snow?  Coming off our first snowfall in Western NY and I am extremely disappointed in the performance of the trailrunners in the snow.  No grip from these tires and the truck slides around like crazy.  These are the stock 275/60/20s on the GMC Elevation.  I had a '19 trail boss with duratracs and traded it in for a '20 elevation with the trailrunners and it feels like I went from a tank to a prius.  Others experiencing similar performance issues with the trailrunners?  I like the gas mileage and noise levels of the Elevation as compared to the trail boss but would consider going back with how this thing slides around in the snow.  Interested in what others have experienced.  

I pulled mine with only 10K mile on them.  I liked them on dry ground, sketchy in the rain and terrible in the snow.  If you look at Tire Racks site, they sell a lot of them simply because they are cheap tires.  Knowing what I know now, I would have had the dealer switch them new so I could get some money back for them.  I got $25.00 a tire for them trade in with 10K miles on them.  I would highly NOT recommend those tires.

1 hour ago, Zbass_10 said:

Other than sports car I wouldn't put a Goodyear tire on anything....they suck not much more to say.

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

Other than sports car I wouldn't put a Goodyear tire on anything....they suck not much more to say.

Interesting since the Goodyear Duratracs are one of the highest, if not the highest, rated AT tires available on any factory truck. 

• Like 2

OEM tires are not chosen based on snow or off-road performance. I have no experience with the Trailrunners, my ride came with the Goodyear Wrangler SRAs. They were EXTREMELY ok tires, similar to what you are probably experiencing. Not good, but not terrible, just ok.

Pick out new rubber, you will be much happier. I am now sporting Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. Huge upgrade in the snow. I can drive around in snow all day in 2 HI if I want to.

Side note, some sand bags in the rear end of the bed will also make a noticeable difference in traction in the snow. The weight distribution is not close to even on a truck.

I like the super car 3s that are on my Camaro. Plenty of grip. Not good in cold Or wet weather but they rarely see this [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My advice is to put your mind into saving up the cost of snow tires for winter use . You'll get an extra year or two out of your other set. I'm 55 and deeply regret not doing it years ago. I just started last year and the difference on snow is nothing short of spectacular.  I may only get two winters out of my Blizzak's because I drive so much but it's more than worth it. If I made more money I would put a brand new set on every winter. Like all tires they truly shine when new.

Edited by Minnvmax

Dumped mine at 14K miles they were junk on any wet road

b234b67856ed91f427dcc0e16fa5a009.jpg

These tires are awesome have always been sold on the KO2s

Did you get P or LT rated tires? I had the LT rated KO2s on my last truck and they only lasted 25k miles before they were shot. I love those tires but not sure if I wanna drop $1,000 on tires only to last another 25k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get P or LT rated tires? I had the LT rated KO2s on my last truck and they only lasted 25k miles before they were shot. I love those tires but not sure if I wanna drop $1,000 on tires only to last another 25k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These sizes are only LT rated.

My last set on my 2010 went almost 50K surprisingly

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like I'm the exception, but we went back home to Cleveland (currently live in the Charlotte area) at Thanksgiving and while we were there we leased a 2021 Sierra Elevation Double Cab 4x4 with these tires on it. My girlfriend stayed until the day after Christmas to help take care of a family member so I left her the truck and rented a car to drive home. They had several large snow storms before she headed back home to Charlotte, including 15" of snow over the course of the two days before she came home. She said the truck did fantastic in the snow and because it was Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, the roads were hardly touched by the plows and salt trucks. When she drove home the day after Christmas, she drove through snowy conditions for the first couple hours of her drive and said the truck did great in that too. She mostly left the truck in 4x4 auto mode during her time in Ohio, but a couple times put it into 4-Hi. Never had any issues, even when driving on roads that had 6-8" of fresh snow with no tracks from other vehicles to drive in. Unfortunately I didn't get to experience it in the snow first-hand.

I'm wondering if tire pressure could be a factor at all? Ours reads 37 psi on the DIC when warm. 

Sounds like I'm the exception, but we went back home to Cleveland (currently live in the Charlotte area) at Thanksgiving and while we were there we leased a 2021 Sierra Elevation Double Cab 4x4 with these tires on it. My girlfriend stayed until the day after Christmas to help take care of a family member so I left her the truck and rented a car to drive home. They had several large snow storms before she headed back home to Charlotte, including 15" of snow over the course of the two days before she came home. She said the truck did fantastic in the snow and because it was Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, the roads were hardly touched by the plows and salt trucks. When she drove home the day after Christmas, she drove through snowy conditions for the first couple hours of her drive and said the truck did great in that too. She mostly left the truck in 4x4 auto mode during her time in Ohio, but a couple times put it into 4-Hi. Never had any issues, even when driving on roads that had 6-8" of fresh snow with no tracks from other vehicles to drive in. Unfortunately I didn't get to experience it in the snow first-hand.

I'm wondering if tire pressure could be a factor at all? Ours reads 37 psi on the DIC when warm. 

How many miles on the truck? My tires were good last winter but once I hit about 10K wet traction went to heck. It did drive well in auto 4wd but you shouldn’t need that anytime the road is wet. I run my tires 36-38 psi

26 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

How many miles on the truck? My tires were good last winter but once I hit about 10K wet traction went to heck. It did drive well in auto 4wd but you shouldn’t need that anytime the road is wet. I run my tires 36-38 psi

Good point. The truck currently has ~1600 miles on it. Before she left to come back to NC it was probably around 700-800 miles. She only put the truck in auto/4-Hi when the conditions warranted it. If it was just wet she left it in 2WD as long as it wasn't below freezing temps outside.