Honest Comparison - 3500 RAM Cummins vs GMC DMAX

On 1/17/2021 at 5:43 PM, ArrowsmithPML said:

All my RAMs have been LWB and this last one is a crew cab, LWB. So at around 26FT (I've not measured it) it is LONG on a tight road or access trail.

I find the screen distracting for sure.

The 8 Foot beds with either the crew or extended cabs are very long for sure but not 26 feet . 

Longest truck with 8FT bed belongs to GM and Ford . Both of them being around 263 inches long which comes out to little under 22 feet..Ram is a little shorter because they are still using their old Cab vs the new bigger Cab in the Ram Half tons. 

Edited by f8l vnm

Thanks, I didn't think of that but frankly in less than ideal conditions (northern highways aren't that good even in the summer) adaptive cruise isn't really something I would even use. Frankly, I seldom use cruise unless it is in the summer time.

20 hours ago, ArrowsmithPML said:

Like I said, didn't measure but did today out of curiosity and from front of tow hooks to back bumper on my 12 RAM is 21'-10"

Good to know.  I measured my '09 CC Dually and from nose to the hitch/head was about 22ft.  It's interesting to see how much heavier these newer trucks have gotten though.  Mine is 8100lbs (soon to gain a few more lbs with the bumpers that are going on it) with me and my usual load out.  GM's new 2500 short beds are 8k "dry."  Which means I'll probably be pushing 10k when I get a new truck.

I think the GM is the heaviest of the lot. My '12 RAM has a GVWR of 10,100 pounds and a GCWR of 21,000. Payload is only 2860 pounds. So in general terms I always say I'm 7800 pounds unloaded but that isn't scientific at all. 

My 09 is 11,100 or 11300 GVWR I can't remember which.  Not sure what the GCWR is probably 20k or less.  I think it found the curb weight saying it was 7k from the factory.  Not sure how accurate that is but 900lbs of stuff added by me is completely believable.  Just interesting that the new 2500 short beds are just as heavy as my loaded 3500 dually is all.

So last thing, I promise...

Does someone who doesn't really need another big truck look at a 1500 - either the 6.2L or the baby DMAX? My concern there is that the truck may not see 400,000 km before a significant maintenance bill. I don't know - I haven't owned a half ton for year almost 30 years now.

A fully loaded 1500 AT4 sits in at around $80K MSRP so I might be able to get 10% less. Less money to level or lift and in some cases, more parts would be considered throw away instead of maintain. Any opinions here?

Cheers,