Data mining (selling?)

KARNUT

My wife recently was transferring ownership of a car her mother gave her. The only place this event was known was the registration office. Less than two weeks later we’re getting letters and phone calls about extended warranty. Farther evidence the even our government is not keeping our information private. My wife believes our phones listen to us. She’s been in conversation with her mother about where she’s going next that day. Once entering her car and blue tooth acknowledging. The best way and time of travel pops up on her phone. This slow creep of intrusion into our lives is concerning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Apple and android track places that you frequent often. Android does it in google maps and it’s called “timeline”. Click on three lines in upper left. Apple calls it “significant location” and it’s located in settings/privacy/system services/significant locations. Both these systems can be disabled if you choose. Amazing how much data it collects.

On 1/15/2021 at 7:47 AM, KARNUT said:

My wife recently was transferring ownership of a car her mother gave her. The only place this event was known was the registration office. Less than two weeks later we’re getting letters and phone calls about extended warranty. Farther evidence the even our government is not keeping our information private. My wife believes our phones listen to us. She’s been in conversation with her mother about where she’s going next that day. Once entering her car and blue tooth acknowledging. The best way and time of travel pops up on her phone. This slow creep of intrusion into our lives is concerning.

this same effect use to happen to me when i had a youtube app on my apple phone,  anything i talked about near th phone , would pop up a day later on my  youtube feed page.

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

The state licensing agencies sell your info.   

In fiscal year 2018, the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) collected nearly $58 million from selling citizens' personal information to private companies and private investigators. The SOS sells “millions” of records a year, according to Michael Doyle, communications manager for the SOS.

The Dept of Motor Vehicles is under the SOS in Michigan.....they sell any other gov' list you may be on, voter registration, vocational licensing etc.   You agreed (unknowingly for sure) to this when you accepted said license or vehicle title etc....

The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles made more than $3 million in 2019 selling drivers' personal information. ... The Texas DMV sold the information to more than 2,700 government agencies and private companies, according to DMV records obtained by CBS 11 I-Team.

Edited by elcamino
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...
Colorado does it as well.  I even got a request for an extended warranty on my 1997 Lumina when i registered it in December of 2019. 
Last phone call I got about an extended warranty I asked if they could cover the cost to replace trunk carpeting. They guy said yes, and then asked why. I told him about a fictitious person I killed and places in the trunk. They said they don't cover that, and I should be arrested. I said I bribe police officers, and to call me back when they want to cover blood, etc in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1