Adding a 2019+ style illuminated GMC emblem to my 17

Over the last week or so I had time to move this project on a bit more.  I sprayed the clear plexi with a matte clear that was advertised as non-yellowing in hopes that it will provide some UV protection for the plexi itself, plus the matte will help dissipate the LED hot spots a bit.  After that, it was time to glue the plexi into place.  I had originally thought of using super glue, but I wanted something that was going to be waterproof, so I ended up using Shoe Goo.  This is a fantastic all purpose glue that I use for a lot of things.

50972837437_dce0212eb4_c.jpg

Here's a close-up after they're glued into place.  After this pic I trimmed more of the squeeze-out away:

50972729141_4a29f90712_c.jpg

Letters glued in place.  After this pic I added a couple clamps to help keep some problem areas from lifting:

50972041593_76e6bf8f8f_c.jpg

all glued together!

50972730071_3ded146159_c.jpg

When illuminated it looks pretty much exactly like the previous illuminated pictures, but I guess that's a good thing since now it's all glued up.

50972836852_ae89d7d188_c.jpg

The next step is the wiring.  I need to look at the factory wiring and see if I can figure out what the headlight plugs are so I can buy a plug and socket in order to make a short extension, then I can "T" off of that extension.  If that turns out to be too difficult, I'll pull the signal from the fuse box.   One other thing that I also need to figure out is how well these LEDs put up with 15V.  I'm going to wire a small section of my left over strip to a 15VDC power supply and let it hang out and see how the LEDs tolerate it.  If they end up burning up, I'll need to install a buck converter or a resistor to bring the voltage down a bit.

• Like 4

Looks OEM, great job.

I’m not sure how many hours you’ve invested in the build but now that you’ve settled with version 3, have you thought of offering to members of the site? Depending on price, I’d purchase one if black letters were an option.

On 2/24/2021 at 12:39 PM, cohibadream said:

Looks OEM, great job.

I’m not sure how many hours you’ve invested in the build but now that you’ve settled with version 3, have you thought of offering to members of the site? Depending on price, I’d purchase one if black letters were an option.

Unless I got enough people interested that I could justify having somebody cut the letters on a CNC, it's not something that I'd want to do.  This was a very tedious build.  Soldering the LED segments is tedious, hand cutting the plexi then sanding  & filing the hell out of it is tedious, gluing it & trimming the glue is tedious, etc.

If I could get the letters cut on CNC, I could design them from 1/4" plexi with a 1/8" rabbit all the way around so that they'd drop right into place, as well as a mild indentation for the red letters.  I wouldn't have to deal with cutting them out, and the glue-up would be way easier too because I wouldn't need to worry about the plexi or the letters shifting when I clamped it.  The only tedious part would be soldering the LED segments.

Even with all of that streamlined, it would probably end up being $300-400 per unit to justify it, which I doubt many people would consider.

In terms of a status update, I haven't done much, but I did hook a small segment up to a DC power supply to stress test it. 

50982454112_2d9d9f6cf4_c.jpg

I've had it running for a couple days now at just a hair over 15V.  The segments are warm to the touch, but not hot, and they seem to be holding up OK.  Running the LEDs on the truck at around 14V should prove to be durable if this section is doing OK at 15v.  I also connected the finished light to the power supply and measured about 1/2A of current draw.  That's low enough that I may be able to tap into the DRL or parking lamp circuit without a relay.  I'm going to have to investigate that. 

Now that it's starting to warm up a bit, I'm hoping to get out there and check out the wiring for the headlights and see if I can figure out what connector & receptacle style the headlamps use so I can see if I can get a connector & receptacle to make my adapter harness from.

• Like 1

Jim85IROC said:

" Now that it's starting to warm up a bit, I'm hoping to get out there and check out the wiring for the headlights and see if I can figure out what connector & receptacle style the headlamps use so I can see if I can get a connector & receptacle to make my adapter harness from. "
The lighted chevy bowtie kit comes with a headlight harness connector.
If you can get your hands on one, it should help you with what you need.
If I didn't have mine installed on the truck, I'd send you one.
BTW, awesome work! Impressive!

On 2/26/2021 at 7:43 PM, MikeBMW said:

Jim85IROC said:

" Now that it's starting to warm up a bit, I'm hoping to get out there and check out the wiring for the headlights and see if I can figure out what connector & receptacle style the headlamps use so I can see if I can get a connector & receptacle to make my adapter harness from. "
The lighted chevy bowtie kit comes with a headlight harness connector.
If you can get your hands on one, it should help you with what you need.
If I didn't have mine installed on the truck, I'd send you one.
BTW, awesome work! Impressive!

I think the LED headlights have a different plug, don't they?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim85IROC said:

I think the LED headlights have a different plug, don't they?

I can't say I'm certain of that as  ordered the lighted bowtie specifically for my truck with HIDs.
Not sure if there is a lighted bowtie with a harness for the LEDs different from what I got.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2021 at 8:15 AM, Jim85IROC said:

Unless I got enough people interested that I could justify having somebody cut the letters on a CNC, it's not something that I'd want to do.  This was a very tedious build.  Soldering the LED segments is tedious, hand cutting the plexi then sanding  & filing the hell out of it is tedious, gluing it & trimming the glue is tedious, etc.

If I could get the letters cut on CNC, I could design them from 1/4" plexi with a 1/8" rabbit all the way around so that they'd drop right into place, as well as a mild indentation for the red letters.  I wouldn't have to deal with cutting them out, and the glue-up would be way easier too because I wouldn't need to worry about the plexi or the letters shifting when I clamped it.  The only tedious part would be soldering the LED segments.

Even with all of that streamlined, it would probably end up being $300-400 per unit to justify it, which I doubt many people would consider.

In terms of a status update, I haven't done much, but I did hook a small segment up to a DC power supply to stress test it. 

50982454112_2d9d9f6cf4_c.jpg

I've had it running for a couple days now at just a hair over 15V.  The segments are warm to the touch, but not hot, and they seem to be holding up OK.  Running the LEDs on the truck at around 14V should prove to be durable if this section is doing OK at 15v.  I also connected the finished light to the power supply and measured about 1/2A of current draw.  That's low enough that I may be able to tap into the DRL or parking lamp circuit without a relay.  I'm going to have to investigate that. 

Now that it's starting to warm up a bit, I'm hoping to get out there and check out the wiring for the headlights and see if I can figure out what connector & receptacle style the headlamps use so I can see if I can get a connector & receptacle to make my adapter harness from.

I have a CNC router that could cut the plexi. If you get enough interest, let me know. I could be your CNC guy. 

This is a very cool project. It looks awesome. If I knew more about wiring, i'd be inclined to give it a try. I'm worried i'd screw something up on the electrical side.

Edited by taylormjones3

• 1 year later...

Well, a year and a half later I finally got it installed on my truck. I have to say, I'm thrilled with how it came out!

At dusk:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dark:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Jim85IROC
  • Like 2

Really like it too! 

I've been looking for something like this for my truck, looks like you have a CAD file you are working from, any chance you'd be willing to share it? Also you talked about cutting out a recess for the plexi to index the letters. Do you have a section sketch describing what you did?

10 hours ago, asilverblazer said:

Really like it too! 

I've been looking for something like this for my truck, looks like you have a CAD file you are working from, any chance you'd be willing to share it? Also you talked about cutting out a recess for the plexi to index the letters. Do you have a section sketch describing what you did?

This wasn't CAD based at all.  I cut and shaped the Plexi completely by hand.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:34 PM, Jim85IROC said:

This wasn't CAD based at all.  I cut and shaped the Plexi completely by hand.

I see it now after I went back and took a closer look.

I'm still not following how you fit the plexi between the red letters and chrome background and still had room for the LEDs under the plexi.

6 hours ago, asilverblazer said:

I see it now after I went back and took a closer look.

I'm still not following how you fit the plexi between the red letters and chrome background and still had room for the LEDs under the plexi.

The plexi pieces are wider than the red letters, so they don't fit down into the indentations in the chrome.  This leaves plenty of room for the LEDs. 

• 4 weeks later...