Extended Warranty?

ero2

Hey all, I may be totally blind, but haven't seen much about the extended warranties on GM vehicles.  When I had my F150 the F150 forum guys directed me to a dealer that sold them online, and much cheaper than other dealers.  It paid for itself the first post warranty repair, and I am contemplating, depending on pricing, buying one for my 2020 Elevation.

Thoughts?  Best place to buy them at a discount if that's possible?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

These guys are usually regarded as the cheapest. I didn’t buy this time around but probably will for the next one.

http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmepp_quote.html

Yes, that is the one that I've read over the years is the cheapest.  Be sure to get the GMEPP and not aftermarket (Fidelity, etc.) when searching.

• 2 weeks later...

I am kicking myself in the @$$ for not getting the extended warranty with the 0% interest I got. Ugh. My dealership offered it to me for around $2800. I don’t recall if it was the GMoutlet one or not. Should have paid more attention, but at time just wasn’t thinking of an extended warranty. Live and learn. 

Now I did just buy in October, the wife a new Acadia, and it was the same price, but I refused, then when signing of papers came, the sales manager was really pushing hard on extended warranties; so they ended up giving it to me for $1500.  6 years 100k bumper to bumper. So idk if there is a “Leah way” in there to bargain with... who knows. I just did it for her because she travels 70 miles per day. 

Edited by TNTSilverado

On 2/24/2021 at 7:21 PM, OnTheReel said:

These guys are usually regarded as the cheapest. I didn’t buy this time around but probably will for the next one.

http://www.gmoutlet.com/gmepp_quote.html

After seeing the GM direct pricing, it is immensely higher than what I was quoted at the dealership linked!  Definitely buying through them.  1k Ish 5 yr 60k coverage (total).  I’m very early in my ownership though, and they said the earlier the better.

Only question I’m debating on is 5 yr 60, 6 72, or 7 84.

Pricing is ~1045, 1500, and 2200 and all have 100 deductible.  I never keep a car longer than 5, but at this point in my families lives, it may be the first that I do.  Any thoughts on time frame?  I average 15k Ish a year miles.

i dont think you have to buy it right now......i get extended warranty offeres for my toyota constantly even still and i dont even even own the truck anymore

your factory takes care of first 3 years so anytime before thats up would seem fine.......extended warranties kick in after the factory runs out correct?....so either now or 2 years from now shouldnt matter

Edited by Dunn

On 3/12/2021 at 8:15 AM, TNTSilverado said:

I am kicking myself in the @$$ for not getting the extended warranty with the 0% interest I got. Ugh. My dealership offered it to me for around $2800. I don’t recall if it was the GMoutlet one or not. Should have paid more attention, but at time just wasn’t thinking of an extended warranty. Live and learn. 

Now I did just buy in October, the wife a new Acadia, and it was the same price, but I refused, then when signing of papers came, the sales manager was really pushing hard on extended warranties; so they ended up giving it to me for $1500.  6 years 100k bumper to bumper. So idk if there is a “Leah way” in there to bargain with... who knows. I just did it for her because she travels 70 miles per day. 

That sounds like a great deal

As long as you buy an extended warranty before 3/36k the price is the same whether you buy it day 1 or at 35,999 miles. If a dealer tells you otherwise they’re lying to you. We just went in a few months ago and bought the extended warranty for my wife’s 17 Tahoe. My friend is sales manager at the dealership and always advises friends and family to wait and buy it right before the factory warranty is up. 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, Fireman02 said:

As long as you buy an extended warranty before 3/36k the price is the same whether you buy it day 1 or at 35,999 miles. If a dealer tells you otherwise they’re lying to you. We just went in a few months ago and bought the extended warranty for my wife’s 17 Tahoe. My friend is sales manager at the dealership and always advises friends and family to wait and buy it right before the factory warranty is up. 

Is there a difference in price if you buy the warranty sooner rather than later?

Extended warranties are pushed hard at the dealers, and via the third-party market.  This leads me to believe they're very profitable for someone(s).  One of the more comprehensive ex warranties I researched for my 2021 1500 Elevation was roughly $2,500 and it extended out to 7 years and 120k miles, and it covered a lot.  As of now I simply set aside the would-be premium to pay for future repairs.  If I consume the funds before 120k miles on needed repairs than I lost "the bet"......if I get past 120k miles without having $2,500 in repairs, then I figure I won the bet.  

I paid $1,500 for an ext warranty on my 2013 Sierra, and didn't use a dime. In fact, the truck went 150k miles for me without ever going back to the dealer.