6.6L Gas will be fine, right?

A lot of great info in this forum. Benn doing lots of digesting as I am looking to upgrade my trusty old '06 Silverado 1500 Crew to a nice new shinny one. I even went as far as to look at the F150's but still like my Chev's better. So with 7k-8k trailer and Max trailer package on an LT/RTS that would give you ~1900 lbs payload, is that not enough? Do you really need a 2500? I like them but they seem a bit overkill for my needs. I do similar outings as you said with less than 12k a year. And what about 6.2 l vs 5.3? I have seen lots of debates on various forums on that. 

Again thanks to all the real life experiences you share on this forum...really good info!   

13 minutes ago, BigdaddyoCan said:

A lot of great info in this forum. Benn doing lots of digesting as I am looking to upgrade my trusty old '06 Silverado 1500 Crew to a nice new shinny one. I even went as far as to look at the F150's but still like my Chev's better. So with 7k-8k trailer and Max trailer package on an LT/RTS that would give you ~1900 lbs payload, is that not enough? Do you really need a 2500? I like them but they seem a bit overkill for my needs. I do similar outings as you said with less than 12k a year. And what about 6.2 l vs 5.3? I have seen lots of debates on various forums on that. 

Again thanks to all the real life experiences you share on this forum...really good info!   

I hear you here and I was on the fence for a long time but when you start doing an honest calculation that payload gets eaten up quickly. For a 8k trailer, that's 800lb of tongue weight, my young (and growing) family is about 450lbs and add in my 75lb dog and all of a sudden we are down to under 600lb of actual payload before you put anything in the bed of the truck.. Add in firewood, coolers, bikes, kayaks on racks, etc and it just made more sense to go with the 2500. The OP may be a little better off with the lighter TT, but personally, the difference in price and gas mileage to go to the 2500 isn't worth running it that close every time we go camping.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rozz522 said:

I hear you here and I was on the fence for a long time but when you start doing an honest calculation that payload gets eaten up quickly. For a 8k trailer, that's 800lb of tongue weight, my young (and growing) family is about 450lbs and add in my 75lb dog and all of a sudden we are down to under 600lb of actual payload before you put anything in the bed of the truck.. Add in firewood, coolers, bikes, kayaks on racks, etc and it just made more sense to go with the 2500. The OP may be a little better off with the lighter TT, but personally, the difference in price and gas mileage to go to the 2500 isn't worth running it that close every time we go camping.

Ohhhhh trust me, the whole 1500 or 2500 has rattled around in my head for quiet some time. But I just feel you get so much more of a truck for what, maybe $5-6k more? I’d rather be over-vehicled than under. I’m looking to have the same kind of passengers in this truck plus all the stuff in the bed that you just listed, and I’d rather know I have 3,000 lbs+ of payload and not have to worry about where I put things and how I load the truck and trailer, etc. 

• Like 1

What do yall think about the 6 speed tranny?
Would it be better served with a 10 speed or does Chevy know what they're doing?

This is why I'm waiting.
If the 2022 don't have the ten speed no thanks. I'm thinking if it don't get it next year it never will. That's the GM way.
I'm pretty sure this 6.6 gas will be the last gas engine built for a 2500 also. They are not going to invest in a different engine now they want to develop electric crap. Sad [emoji24]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenny_r said:

I’d love to put this engine in my 17 hd...4.10 gears would be sweet emoji848.png

I hear ya man. Don't blame ya. 

Me, it's just gonna have to do. 

Of course, I'll just be towing all said and done maybe 8k pound travel trailer - conventional, not goose neck. 

• Like 1

BTW to the OP...

You won't have any trouble with a trailer in that weight class. You could do that with a half ton but there is nothing wrong with bringing a gun to a knife fight.

I'm looking at a new trailer in the next year , 30' 5500-6000 dry and 7500 GVW loaded. My half ton don't have enough ass for that under the hood or under the truck.

My current 25' 5000 dry 6200 GVW travel trailer is the most I'd care to tow with a half ton.

Read this.....

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/243835-towing-heavy-for-long-distance-with-a-53/&share_tid=243835&share_fid=33003&share_type=t&link_source=app

Towing heavy for long distance with a 5.3

Mclaren, thanks for using my

" enough ass" reference.[emoji16]

35 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

BTW to the OP...

You won't have any trouble with a trailer in that weight class. You could do that with a half ton but there is nothing wrong with bringing a gun to a knife fight.

I'm looking at a new trailer in the next year , 30' 5500-6000 dry and 7500 GVW loaded. My half ton don't have enough ass for that under the hood or under the truck.

My current 25' 5000 dry 6200 GVW travel trailer is the most I'd care to tow with a half ton.

Read this.....

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/243835-towing-heavy-for-long-distance-with-a-53/&share_tid=243835&share_fid=33003&share_type=t&link_source=app

Towing heavy for long distance with a 5.3

Mclaren, thanks for using my

" enough ass" reference.emoji16.png

Thanks for the intel. I’m trying to soak up as much trailering and towing info as I can. 

Another thing....

A 7000lb travel trailer is not the same as a 7000 lb flatbed or boat.

Night and day.

Especially when you get longer than 24' .

It's like towing a parachute when it gets windy.