6.6L Gas will be fine, right?

Hey there!

I can share my experience on this exact topic.  I originally purchased a '19 1500 LTZ for the purpose of towing my new 37' travel trailer.  The tow limits were easily in spec, and everybody told me it would be great, especially with my fancy, expensive sway control hitch system.  Well, it was not great. 

Like others in this thread have stated, I was constantly pushed around by semi's and the wind.  If you ever park your TT on the side of an interstate you will be amazed by how much it moves when the traffic is passing by.  It's crazy the sail area they have.  The Wife was always giving me the side-eye, lol.  It was at times...unsettling.  The power with the 5.3 was honestly adequate, but for sure I could have used more power- especially on long hills.

So... I traded to a 2500 LTZ Gas, almost the exact same truck but 3/4 ton.  The difference is amazing!  First, the power is great.  It never feels like it's struggling, it just digs in and pulls.  On long hills, it will rev and hold, but that's what gas engines do.  The grade braking is great too.  Just tap the brake when in Tow Mode and it downshifts instantly, it even rev matches so it's super smooth.  It will do this for every gear as you slow down too.  I never have issues maintaining a manageable speed downhill.  The other amazing difference is how well the 2500 handles the wind.  Night and day.  No drama.  I would never, EVER again tow a large TT without a 2500.  No more watching the mirror for speeding semi's with my hand on the brake controller.

So, in summary, yes the 6.6 is more than fine,  it's an awesome combo for towing!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Limelight said:

Hey there!

I can share my experience on this exact topic.  I originally purchased a '19 1500 LTZ for the purpose of towing my new 37' travel trailer.  The tow limits were easily in spec, and everybody told me it would be great, especially with my fancy, expensive sway control hitch system.  Well, it was not great. 

Like others in this thread have stated, I was constantly pushed around by semi's and the wind.  If you ever park your TT on the side of an interstate you will be amazed by how much it moves when the traffic is passing by.  It's crazy the sail area they have.  The Wife was always giving me the side-eye, lol.  It was at times...unsettling.  The power with the 5.3 was honestly adequate, but for sure I could have used more power- especially on long hills.

So... I traded to a 2500 LTZ Gas, almost the exact same truck but 3/4 ton.  The difference is amazing!  First, the power is great.  It never feels like it's struggling, it just digs in and pulls.  On long hills, it will rev and hold, but that's what gas engines do.  The grade braking is great too.  Just tap the brake when in Tow Mode and it downshifts instantly, it even rev matches so it's super smooth.  It will do this for every gear as you slow down too.  I never have issues maintaining a manageable speed downhill.  The other amazing difference is how well the 2500 handles the wind.  Night and day.  No drama.  I would never, EVER again tow a large TT without a 2500.  No more watching the mirror for speeding semi's with my hand on the brake controller.

So, in summary, yes the 6.6 is more than fine,  it's an awesome combo for towing!   

Really great post, thanks! Do you think your 1500 would've handled a smaller TT better or still notice the tail wagging the dog effect?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kenny_r said:

I’m surprised everyone said it would be great hauling a 37ft travel trailer with a 1/2 ton.lol

Yeah- I know better now. Everybody was mostly people at the RV show.  Buyer beware!

5 hours ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Really great post, thanks! Do you think your 1500 would've handled a smaller TT better or still notice the tail wagging the dog effect?

I don’t know- I mean I towed my boat with the 1500 - about 3500# a good bit and couldn’t even tell it was there, it was great. Towing the boat with the 2500 feels about the same really. 
I think any camper with the big boxy shape is gonna pull a lighter truck around. It’s just physics. 

So, I'm concerned gang, the one I'm seriously considering buying is a Custom. And, as we know, they don't have power seats.

I'm 5'8" am I gonna have to get something to freakin sit on to see good, or is it not a problem for you guys that are 5' 8" ?

I have a '21 GMC Sierra 3500 WT gasser. It obviously doesn't have power seats either. I am 5'9" and can see just fine. You will just have to get used to not seeing as much directly in front of you since the hood blocks more of your front view. But I think the overall view is plenty good. I once drove it 600 miles in one day and I even thought the seat was fine. It didn't bother me at all. I know the seat bothers some people, but it didn't even make my legs or back hurt. My '06 2500 silverado would eventually make my back hurt on those longer trips. This truck's seats haven't done that to me yet. I really like the truck. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, T.O. said:

I have a '21 GMC Sierra 3500 WT gasser. It obviously doesn't have power seats either. I am 5'9" and can see just fine. You will just have to get used to not seeing as much directly in front of you since the hood blocks more of your front view. But I think the overall view is plenty good. I once drove it 600 miles in one day and I even thought the seat was fine. It didn't bother me at all. I know the seat bothers some people, but it didn't even make my legs or back hurt. My '06 2500 silverado would eventually make my back hurt on those longer trips. This truck's seats haven't done that to me yet. I really like the truck. 

Thank you. That's a real relief.

49 minutes ago, T.O. said:

You will just have to get used to not seeing as much directly in front of you since the hood blocks more of your front view. But I think the overall view is plenty good.

I'm 6' tall and still getting used to not seeing much in front.  Takes some practice to split the parking spot lines once you're between them.  To me it's part of the fun of driving one of these, I love the truck ('21 2500 SLT).  What's really fun is when I get back in my '00 1500 and it feels like driving a golf cart.

• Like 1

Does anyone here have a Custom with Safety Confidence Package and Custom Convenience Package?

If so, how do you like it? Because minus power seat, and dual climate controls, it's pretty much an LT as far as features go I think?

Plus, one equipped like that has Sirius XM as well. 

So here is my opinion some may not like it or be popular.  in the last 15 Years I have owned three diesels all fords,  and 4-5 half tons (GM, Ford, Ram).  What I will say about half tons is they have come a long way in the last 10 years.  You build them right with the proper packages they will haul anything just fine up to 7-8k lbs.  I haul around a 30 ft boat at 10klbs and always have along with utility trailers,  hauled cars around as well.  Never owned a gas 3/4 ton but have driven them at work and friends of mine.

With a 3/4 ton truck with gas engine you are buying the truck,  engine to engine the half tons are comparable and sometimes better all considered.  If you haul around 5k or less save your money and and get better ride and buy a half ton,  you would never notice the difference anybody says otherwise isnt telling the truth.   Haul anything more than that think it all comes down to how much you haul in terms of weight, frequency and the conditions.  If I was hauling saying a 8-10k boat  half dozen times a year to the launch down the road I wouldnt be getting a bigger truck either.  To me if your doing the weight with frequency get a diesel,  you'll make up for it better fuel mpg and if your riding around in a brick make it have the most power.

Im serious in saying this I have owned two of the 3.5l ecos on the ford with the tow packages and I would put those trucks up against anything that doesnt have a diesel in it.  You haul around 10k plus and want to have 3-4k in gear in the truck yeah better get the bigger truck.

Also most guys with HD gassers I know get 11-12mpg.  Most half tons are getting 5mpg better,  gas at 2.50 a gallon on 15k miles a year means that HD would cost me an extra 1000 bucks a year in gas.  Keep the truck long enough thats a pretty big bill.

Edited by nards444

On 2/28/2021 at 4:23 PM, dieselfan1 said:

Another thing....

A 7000lb travel trailer is not the same as a 7000 lb flatbed or boat.

Night and day.

Especially when you get longer than 24' .

It's like towing a parachute when it gets windy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You are right.  But assuming no to light wind I found travel trailers to track and tow easier specially if the brakes work right.

On 2/27/2021 at 6:56 PM, MacLaren said:

What do yall think about the 6 speed tranny?

Would it be better served with a 10 speed or does Chevy know what they're doing?

The 6 speed in the HD's is not the same one as the one used in 1500's.

It's carry forward from the 6.0L days.  Imo, it will be fine behind the 6.6 gas.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nards444 said:

You are right.  But assuming no to light wind I found travel trailers to track and tow easier specially if the brakes work right.

All it takes is one not so light wind to ruin your day. 
You must live somewhere where the wind doesn’t blow and there are no mountains cuz I guarantee if you lived in the western half of the continent you would change your tune in a hurry. 

I too have owned a few half tons. I would NEVER tell anyone that tows anything over 5000lbs especially an rv that it tows as good as a bigger heavier truck. That’s the worst lie I’ve ever heard. 

• Like 2