6.6L Gas will be fine, right?

1 hour ago, L8T said:

All it takes is one not so light wind to ruin your day. 
You must live somewhere where the wind doesn’t blow and there are no mountains cuz I guarantee if you lived in the western half of the continent you would change your tune in a hurry. 

I too have owned a few half tons. I would NEVER tell anyone that tows anything over 5000lbs especially an rv that it tows as good as a bigger heavier truck. That’s the worst lie I’ve ever heard. 

uhhh  i did preface the statement by saying if there is light to no wind.   And Tractors blow over in wind too.  Sometimes getting off the road or slowing down isnt a bad option either

Edited by nards444

The 6 speed in the HD's is not the same one as the one used in 1500's.

It's carry forward from the 6.0L days.  Imo, it will be fine behind the 6.6 gas.

It’s similar to the transmission used in the 6.0; but significantly upgraded. Additional clutch packs and the torque converter transplanted from the Allison (with changes to the balancers because harmonics of the gas motor differ from the diesel).

Regarding comparisons between 1500 and 2500, I traded a ‘19 1500 TrailBoss (5.3) on a ‘21 3500 gasser (6.6). Prior to this I owned 2011 6.0; 2015 6.6 Duramax; and a 2016 Duramax Dually. Gives me a pretty good basis for comparison. The 1500 towed our 23’ Center Console fairly well. But it often felt as though the “tail was wagging the dog”. The 3500 is an entirely different experience; in part due to the weight and wheelbase of the HD.

On the same trip (not towing) of about 200 miles (to a weekend residence) the 5.3 averaged 20.2 MPG; the 6.6 averages 18. Ride quality difference in the 3500 is not discernibly different than the TrailBoss (and markedly improved over prior generations). And that’s with tires inflated at the recommended 60 front; 80 rear.

Yes, the Ecoboost certainly produces excellent power; but, there’s a reason it’s not offered in the Superduty - long term durability. Same reason GM didn’t simply drop the 6.2 (which produces Slightly more HP and slightly less TQ than the 6.6) in the HD (aluminum block versus cast iron, etc).

To dismiss the HD gasser (per one poster) seems myopic. Rather than maxing out a 1500, I’d much prefer to have more truck if towing anywhere near the limits of the 1500. Stronger motor (durability); stronger transmission; bigger brakes; load range E tires, etc. Likewise, if I were towing near the limits of the gasser routinely, the diesel would be preferable.

To suggest there’s no niche for a 2500/3500 gasser; and the choice should be either 1500 gas or 2500/3500 isn’t a position id agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yea that’s why I purchased a 2500 gas. Need the payload and I don’t haul over 10k. Like the idea of having the weight, brakes, suspension ect. The more i cruise through the diesel forums the happier I am about the choice to stick with gas. I mean the new 6.6 is rated for what...like 16k lbs? Surprised that so many get still get sucked into the diesel game....but I guess if ur not gonna keep it past the warranty like most, it doesn’t matter.lol.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, L8T said:

All it takes is one not so light wind to ruin your day. 
You must live somewhere where the wind doesn’t blow and there are no mountains cuz I guarantee if you lived in the western half of the continent you would change your tune in a hurry. 

I too have owned a few half tons. I would NEVER tell anyone that tows anything over 5000lbs especially an rv that it tows as good as a bigger heavier truck. That’s the worst lie I’ve ever heard. 

Lol, yup.

Our trailer was 6500 pounds brand new without anything in it. We hauled it home with my 19 1500 and it was working her pretty good. 

Tomorrow, I'm getting a new 21 2500

That 2500 besides that awesome 6.6 gasser has enough ass on her to where she won't be shoved around like that 1500, nor will she strain as much going over mountains.

I agree with your post 1,000%

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 9:44 PM, TrailBoss1 said:

Yes, the Ecoboost certainly produces excellent power; but, there’s a reason it’s not offered in the Superduty - long term durability. Same reason GM didn’t simply drop the 6.2 (which produces Slightly more HP and slightly less TQ than the 6.6) in the HD (aluminum block versus cast iron, etc).

To dismiss the HD gasser (per one poster) seems myopic. Rather than maxing out a 1500, I’d much prefer to have more truck if towing anywhere near the limits of the 1500. Stronger motor (durability); stronger transmission; bigger brakes; load range E tires, etc. Likewise, if I were towing near the limits of the gasser routinely, the diesel would be preferable.

To suggest there’s no niche for a 2500/3500 gasser; and the choice should be either 1500 gas or 2500/3500 isn’t a position id agree with.

I knew I was going to get some push back and I sort of preempted with that.  But don't take what I said out of context.  End of the day a 3/4 ton chassis will haul and essentially do work better than a half ton 98% of the time regardless of engine. 

As for the ecoboost Ive heard the longevity claim a lot,  but we are now 10 years into it and the engines seem to be holding out,  will they last like a diesel no, but Im not sure theres any evidence they would last less than a big gas motor.  Tbh ive heard this from the day these things came out  From what I have heard ford has tinkered with putting it into the big trucks,  they have also replaced the 6.2 in the raptor with it.  But like I said i would still stand with my statement with that big eco engine with a tow haul package against any 3/4 gasser,  thats just based off my experience.

Gassers have their place.  Things like snow plowing,  work applications etc,  and frankly is cheaper than a diesel and at the end of the day will get you from point A to B.  My point really was picking how much are you towing,  where are you doing it, and how much weight.  Again any under 5-6k your waisting your money on a bigger truck,  anything bigger than 5-6k I think it comes down to how often and how you are towing.  Towing a handful of times a year maybe a half ton is for you.

Edited by nards444

23 hours ago, TrailBoss1 said:

It’s similar to the transmission used in the 6.0; but significantly upgraded. Additional clutch packs and the torque converter transplanted from the Allison (with changes to the balancers because harmonics of the gas motor differ from the diesel).

Regarding comparisons between 1500 and 2500, I traded a ‘19 1500 TrailBoss (5.3) on a ‘21 3500 gasser (6.6). Prior to this I owned 2011 6.0; 2015 6.6 Duramax; and a 2016 Duramax Dually. Gives me a pretty good basis for comparison. The 1500 towed our 23’ Center Console fairly well. But it often felt as though the “tail was wagging the dog”. The 3500 is an entirely different experience; in part due to the weight and wheelbase of the HD.

On the same trip (not towing) of about 200 miles (to a weekend residence) the 5.3 averaged 20.2 MPG; the 6.6 averages 18. Ride quality difference in the 3500 is not discernibly different than the TrailBoss (and markedly improved over prior generations). And that’s with tires inflated at the recommended 60 front; 80 rear.

Very good info on the new tranny. Had no idea. 

On 3/2/2021 at 7:44 PM, TrailBoss1 said:

It’s similar to the transmission used in the 6.0; but significantly upgraded. Additional clutch packs and the torque converter transplanted from the Allison (with changes to the balancers because harmonics of the gas motor differ from the diesel).....

Where did you get the info on the converter from? Everything I’ve read, including running part numbers suggest the converter is actually the same one found behind the 6.2 gas in various years.  

82A2CB99-D809-4B06-A8A8-E609D374943D.png

• Like 1

If ecoboost was in a h.d  truck application longetivity would be a concern, thats why its not an option. Manufacturers engineers kinda know what they are doing most of the time. A gas engine 3/4 ton is superior to any half ton towing over 8000 ish pounds up to 14k range. And is very capable and a good option in that weight range instead of a diesel. 

• Like 1

Man oh man, just drove mine home tonight.

Very, very, impressed! Was coming from a 2019 LT Z71 1500.  This 2500 is a Custom, with the Custom Value Package, Gooseneck/5th Wheel Package, Safety Convenience Package and Skid Plates. She isn't a smooth as my 1500 of course, but she ain't bad either!

Actually, I was worried about not having power seats, as I'm 5' 8" but, honestly it's perfect. And more interesting this seat is more comfy than the one in my 1500.  At any rate, the truck is as new as it can get. It just arrived by train from Flint, Michigan this Tuesday and at the dealership yesterday.  Build date was last month.  I am extremely happy thus far. 

Not as peppy as my 8 speed 1500, but still plenty of power! 

• Like 2

Another thing, and please correct me if I'm wrong. This truck, having skid plates as an option from the factory could be classified as a Z71, correct? Isn't the main feature of the Z71 skid plates? I know 1500 has the bigger air filter I think but, what all exactly makes a 2500 a Z71 besides Skid Plates?

• Like 1