22's on a trailboss ???

So my dad has been telling me to go with 22s for my new trailboss. there is a dealer that has 22's oem wheels for 50 percent off for a set near me however I was curious I think it would kinda defeat the purpose of having a offroad truck with 22 inch wheels and I am unsure on how it would even look on the trailboss. Has anyone put 22 inch wheels on a trailboss??? Any feedback would be appreciated 

BTW my truck was suppose to be built last week has not been built yet 21 custom trailboss with 6.2 midnight edition 

22"s with 275/50R22 all-season are for smooth pavement.

Low sidewall is stiff. 

There is a reason GM doesn't offer them with Z71 or with or with either Trailboss

I wouldn't have 22's on one, but it's your truck....

If I could have ordered it with them,  my truck would have 18"s instead of 20"s.

Edited by redwngr

Really should be going with 18 inch rims if you are going to use it off road. 22 will just make it a pavement princess, but hey if you like the look and don't plan to go offroading do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fubar12 said:

So my dad has been telling me to go with 22s for my new trailboss. there is a dealer that has 22's oem wheels for 50 percent off for a set near me however I was curious I think it would kinda defeat the purpose of having a offroad truck with 22 inch wheels and I am unsure on how it would even look on the trailboss. Has anyone put 22 inch wheels on a trailboss??? Any feedback would be appreciated 

BTW my truck was suppose to be built last week has not been built yet 21 custom trailboss with 6.2 midnight edition 

See if they will finance the 22's into the total price of your truck, making sure you keep the factory rollers that it comes with. Otherwise they charge you for the 22's, take your wheels and tires (which is included in the price of the truck) and sell them to someone else leaving you with more money owed and only one set of wheels.

That way you would have a set of summer and winter wheels/tires.

Edited by JimCost2014

yeah i dont understand 22s on an offroad truck.....i have 20 and would prefer 18 but they came on it

I have 18’s on my 21 trail boss and I’m curious as to why many people are saying they’d rather have 18’s instead of 20’s. I wanted 20’s but mine only came with the 18. Is it because the smaller rim size allows for bigger tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Scott Killman said:

I have 18’s on my 21 trail boss and I’m curious as to why many people are saying they’d rather have 18’s instead of 20’s. I wanted 20’s but mine only came with the 18. Is it because the smaller rim size allows for bigger tires?

its sidewall of tire....you want sidewall for offroading......to an extreme but still applies in off road in general is look at trophy trucks, rock crawlers, etc....17in rims

there is more options possibly for 18" rims and cost less......nowadays with big rims becoming popular for show you can find quite a few though......

more sidewall gives you options for airing up or down, reduced pinch flats, reduced scuffing on rims and or rim catching on rock, root, etc and bending of the rim ( either cuz no air volume or spokes being close to ground catching a rock, root, etc).....tire flexes more with more sidewall, also your tire is the very first shock absorber, more air volume is better....its all pluses with no minuses

i have 20s but prefer 18s....ok for now as i dont plan on thumping my truck quite yet

smaller rims give a much better ride as well in general........street wont matter can throw whatever on but ride will be harsher

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dunn said:

its sidewall of tire....you want sidewall for offroading......to an extreme but still applies in off road in general is look at trophy trucks, rock crawlers, etc....17in rims

there is more options possibly for 18" rims and cost less......nowadays with big rims becoming popular for show you can find quite a few though......

more sidewall gives you options for airing up or down, reduced pinch flats, reduced scuffing on rims and or rim catching on rock, root, etc and bending of the rim ( either cuz no air volume or spokes being close to ground catching a rock, root, etc).....tire flexes more with more sidewall, also your tire is the very first shock absorber, more air volume is better....its all pluses with no minuses

i have 20s but prefer 18s....ok for now as i dont plan on thumping my truck quite yet

smaller rims give a much better ride as well in general........street wont matter can throw whatever on but ride will be harsher

+1 to this

If you want big rims, don't get a TB

Thank you for explaining that. I never do any off roading really. I went with the trail boss for two reasons. First is it was the only one on the lot in the color I wanted and the 6.2. Second is my dad has the same one in black.

3 hours ago, Scott Killman said:

The way GM specs tires, the outside diameters are close to the same with the 18's and the 20's - so rpm per mile stays very close and speedos stay very close.

As well as the differences for off-road use, the stiffer sidewall results in a harsher ride. 

Otoh, the stiffer 20" set-up will corner sharper because the stiffer tire has less body roll.  One of the reasons that sports cars use tires with very low profile and very stiff suspension.  Great on smooth surfaces, but sucks on expansion cracks, potholes, bumps or gutters and of course even in mild off-situations. 

I've not done the airing down thing I hear about for some off-road uses, but if there is little sidewall.....

Of course all that argument is meaningless if the intended tire/rim system is going to use non-factory tires sizes.  

43 minutes ago, Scott Killman said:

Thank you for explaining that. I never do any off roading really. I went with the trail boss for two reasons. First is it was the only one on the lot in the color I wanted and the 6.2. Second is my dad has the same one in black.

Get what you want.   If I had the money I’d get 22s snowflakes on my GM 2” lifted RST.  Yes, my mall crawler, my pavement princess, my groceries getter.  If I wanted to “off-road”, I can get 18s later.   But let’s be real, if you really wanted to off-road you’d get the Colorado ZR2 or Bison.  IMHO.