How are the current 8spds on 2021 trucks?

i had a 2019 RST and it had the clunk from 1-2 in the morning but wasnt horrible

i now have 2021 Elevation and its smooth as butter so far......the whole 21 truck just seems to be a bit more refined to me......but i did want the 10spd just werent many available

i thought all the SLT with 4x4 got the 10spd and 2WD got the 8spd?

1 hour ago, Dunn said:

i had a 2019 RST and it had the clunk from 1-2 in the morning but wasnt horrible

i now have 2021 Elevation and its smooth as butter so far......the whole 21 truck just seems to be a bit more refined to me......but i did want the 10spd just werent many available

Is the 2021 Elevation an 8 speed still?  If so, I wonder how they got rid of the first morning clunk.  

6 minutes ago, SilveradoRST said:

Is the 2021 Elevation an 8 speed still?  If so, I wonder how they got rid of the first morning clunk.  

they have both.....get $200 credit back for 8spd

when i was looking at a alot of them it seemed about half had 8spd and other half 10spd.....have to look at window sticker to find out if it has 10spd delete.....heard something happened with them and ford or something with quantity of 10spds available but idk details

i couldnt find one with 10spd with options i wanted and price i got

mine has been flawless but only have 1k miles on it.....

2 hours ago, Dunn said:

The keep changing what is available with what. 

(example - 10 speed no longer available on Elevation with 5.3L,, but still available if it has the 3.0L)

Currently on SLT 

-  8 speed MQE - Standard on models equipped with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. 

- 10 speed MQB - Included and only available with (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine or 4WD (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine with (PDT) SLT Premium Plus Package or (PDW) Texas Edition SLT Premium Plus Package. 

SLT not available with the 2.7T or the 4.3 or the 5.3L L82 (AFM version)

57 minutes ago, Dunn said:

they have both.....get $200 credit back for 8spd

when i was looking at a alot of them it seemed about half had 8spd and other half 10spd.....have to look at window sticker to find out if it has 10spd delete.....heard something happened with them and ford or something with quantity of 10spds available but idk details

i couldnt find one with 10spd with options i wanted and price i got

mine has been flawless but only have 1k miles on it.....

Same with me, seems like Nov 2020 time-frame, at least in the mid-Atlantic dealer lots, you started seeing way more 8 spd Elevations and very few with 10 spd.  

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

The keep changing what is available with what. 

(example - 10 speed no longer available on Elevation with 5.3L,, but still available if it has the 3.0L)

Currently on SLT 

-  8 speed MQE - Standard on models equipped with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine. 

- 10 speed MQB - Included and only available with (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine, (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine or 4WD (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine with (PDT) SLT Premium Plus Package or (PDW) Texas Edition SLT Premium Plus Package. 

SLT not available with the 2.7T or the 4.3 or the 5.3L L82 (AFM version)

This is complete Fckery. Not to pile on but WTF is GM thinking . $200 credit back ?

On another note I did also read somewhere that Ford has more access to the 10 speed then GM does. Not sure what exactly that means but Ford is basically sticking the 10A in everything that will take it. 

Edited by f8l vnm

2 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

This is complete Fckery. Not to pile on but WTF is GM thinking . $200 credit back ?

On another note I did also read somewhere that Ford has more access to the 10 speed then GM does. Not sure what exactly that means but Ford is basically sticking the 10A in everything that will take it. 

There was an article on GM Authority a few weeks ago stating they were dumping $75 million into the 10 speed plant in Ohio for expanded production. I just think the demand has out stripped the supply for the 10 speeds and rather than hold up production on the entire vehicle, they’re being supplemented with 8 speeds right now. 

3 minutes ago, Z71RAD88 said:

There was an article on GM Authority a few weeks ago stating they were dumping $75 million into the 10 speed plant in Ohio for expanded production. I just think the demand has out stripped the supply for the 10 speeds and rather than hold up production on the entire vehicle, they’re being supplemented with 8 speeds right now. 

I can see that. The new 6.6 HD gasser would also greatly benefit from the 10A

27 minutes ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Do you think this would affect resale for used units? I would assume buyers would want to seek out the 10spds but given it’s impossible to easily see a used GM truck’s window sticker (unlike Ford), I guess it’ll be the luck of the draw. There isn’t even a telltale sign what trans the truck has...

17 minutes ago, Jim165 said:

Do you think this would affect resale for used units? I would assume buyers would want to seek out the 10spds but given it’s impossible to easily see a used GM truck’s window sticker (unlike Ford), I guess it’ll be the luck of the draw. There isn’t even a telltale sign what trans the truck has...

I suppose it could? Some buyers may not be knowledgeable enough to even know there was an 8 or 10 speed trucks or care for that matter. 

4 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Ford did the mechanical design, but they each build their own.

As I understand it they each also have their own transmission controller.

GM also uses the 10 speed lots of places.  It was in car applications before pickups, and now it's n the new SUV's. 

Still using the 6 speed in the lower trims too. 

So 3 transmissions and 6 engines in 1500 pickups.