Trade In Value

I am going to get a gas 2021 Sierra HD AT4 soon. I have seen so many roomers that GM is going to change the interior for 2022. What kind of loss do you think I would be looking at if I traded a year or two after I got the 2021? I have been trying to look through all the model changes throughout the years and I have seen that the upgrades usually start in the Silverado 1500 then the Sierra 1500 and then to the HD. I wonder if these changes will follow that pattern too.

I am going to get a gas 2021 Sierra HD AT4 soon. I have seen so many roomers that GM is going to change the interior for 2022. What kind of loss do you think I would be looking at if I traded a year or two after I got the 2021? I have been trying to look through all the model changes throughout the years and I have seen that the upgrades usually start in the Silverado 1500 then the Sierra 1500 and then to the HD. I wonder if these changes will follow that pattern too.
2023 will be interior change

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

1500 will get the change in 2022

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Like mentioned above ‘23 for the HD interior upgrade at the earliest.  And the trade in loss is a complete guess for anyone right now even more than usual. 

With demand so high currently you are going to pay a premium for your new truck but depending on what you are trading you may be able to make up all or even more of that premium.  Currently HD trucks (diesel especially but applies to gas as well) are so hard to come by that trade in values are thousands above normal.  How caught up will the industry be by the time you trade again, who knows.  

I just traded in a 4 year old High Country Duramax with 50k for damn near what I paid for it I’m 2017. I looked into trading before the pandemic with 10k less miles and was going to get more than $10k less that I just did.  I’m guessing at some point this demand will settle back to the norm but at that time new trucks may be more aggressively priced. Again who knows what’s going to happen to the HD truck market in the next 12-24 months.

Good luck 

Hard market right now.  But in general I always figure this.  you take a 10% hit the second it leaves the lot.  First year alone is usually a 20% hit then 10% there after.  Your money but losing money for different interiors just doesnt make a lot of sense.  A typical market I have found that you need to own something for about 3-4 years to either be ahead or at least break even on a trade. 

I ordered a 2500 last month and I think the dealer is going to take my lease in on trade vs me just giving it back, and I think they figured they would list it at 38-40k , when i paid 48 for it 3 years ago. 

i sold my 2020 LT 2500 gas crew 2WD to carvana for 45.8k month ago, 7800 miles on it, they just sold it for 51k!.......49.6k MSRP.....paid 47.3k OTD W/TTL

Edited by Dunn

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2021 at 10:21 PM, Dunn said:

i sold my 2020 LT 2500 gas crew 2WD to carvana for 45.8k month ago, 7800 miles on it, they just sold it for 51k!.......49.6k MSRP.....paid 47.3k OTD W/TTL

That is awesome.  If I can get away with it I might try to sell for close to what I bought mine for and buy a new one every year or two until the truck market isn't as crazy.

I was looking around to see what the truck I ordered was going for at other dealerships and ran across a place in VA that put a "market adjustment" fee on top of the MSRP.  The reasoning is literally because the truck is in high demand.  The fee was $15,000!  So the gas AT4 came out above $80,000.  Premium plus package and power running board.  No 5th wheel prep.

i can sell mine or trade it for more than i paid for it. the problems are though, nothing to replace it with, markup over msrp, and the wonderful state of california does not give any tax credit, they make you pay sales tax on the new purchase price. so it does not make any financial sense to do it

Trade in nuts.  I have a 2015 challenger scat pack,  Carmax will buy it for 4k less than I bought it and I see them similars selling for what I bought the car for 6 years ago. 

Looking at getting into a shelby Gt500,  although the price is higher for that by a little,  the fact that I can get 90% of what I paid for the car now,  the math still works in my favor to bump up

I just traded in my 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 Carbonpro with 36,000 miles and they gave me 55K for it which is what I was looking for. I was super lucky to find a 2021 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 High Country crew cab with the 6.6 gas in Alabama that just arrived at the dealer and hadn't been sold yet and I picked it up Thursday! 

CarMax bought my 16 Sierra Denali 6.2L with 54k miles for $40,800 a week ago.  I had paid $48k for it new.  They just posted a similar truck for sale (white instead of blue, same miles, Denali, 6.2L) for $46k.  I keep asking myself, who is buying these used vehicles at those prices?

Between this and housing, seems people are buying into a bubble.