Under normal driving I’ve noticed my engine running about 210, seems hot when walking by it after driving. It seems to just get this temp and stay there most the time. Just did a 100mi each way tow pulling about 8000lbs and same thing. Sitting at 210.

Trans was running around 180 most the time hitting 190+ on the grade.

I feel like the engine is running too hot but can’t find any specs for this. Should I take it in or is it something I should just mention at my next oil change.

I have the 5.3L (L84) with the 8 speed. Got an oil change at the dealer about a month ago.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normal temp range for coolant is 207-220 degrees now. The cluster won't move off of 210 much but the real temp on a scan tool will climb/fall 10-15 degrees all the time.

Edited by CamGTP

10 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Normal temp range for coolant is 207-220 degrees now. The cluster won't move off of 210 much but the real temp on a scan tool will climb/fall 10-15 degrees all the time.

According to what I've been reading on here that is normal given the gauge on the dash isn't super accurate. It's when the temp doesn't go down is the problem. My 1500 LD started rising above 210 on the dash a few months ago anytime I have my little 5x8 utility hooked up. Pulled it all last year with no fluctuations but now it jumps up and down like a kid with a sugar rush. 

56 minutes ago, TheLawnGuy said:

According to what I've been reading on here that is normal given the gauge on the dash isn't super accurate. It's when the temp doesn't go down is the problem. My 1500 LD started rising above 210 on the dash a few months ago anytime I have my little 5x8 utility hooked up. Pulled it all last year with no fluctuations but now it jumps up and down like a kid with a sugar rush. 

Might be time for new thermostat.

39 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Might be time for new thermostat.

That's what I was leaning towards because if I don't have the trailer hooked up it stays right at 210 and doesn't rise at all. And it's not like I'm pulling 8k lbs or anything, the trailer and mower together is under 2k lbs. I use to pull the exact trailer and mower with my 03 frontier and never had any temperature fluctuations. And it was a v6 lol.

Edited by TheLawnGuy
Forgot a thought

12 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

A new thermostat will do the same thing, if you get the stock temp thermostat anyway.

It's odd I pulled the same setup all last year and the temp never rose above 210. And it ain't even summer yet so now I'm confused because if it was normal why has it only recently started doing it?

23 hours ago, TheLawnGuy said:

That's what I was leaning towards because if I don't have the trailer hooked up it stays right at 210 and doesn't rise at all. And it's not like I'm pulling 8k lbs or anything, the trailer and mower together is under 2k lbs. I use to pull the exact trailer and mower with my 03 frontier and never had any temperature fluctuations. And it was a v6 lol.

Different truck, different motor, different cooling system size, different instrument and sensor sourcing..... nothing is comparable. 

I haven't read anything yet that says this system isn't operating normally. A thermostat is not a 'feed back' controller with ECU driven 'logic' system that can anticipate changes in load. (Yes some vehicles are so equipped). It's a chuck of wax with a melting point that is 'reactive'. It will swing some.

Each piece of the system has a 'range' and no they don't all line up neatly. 

That said and for your piece of mind just change the thermostat. 

21 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Different truck, different motor, different cooling system size, different instrument and sensor sourcing..... nothing is comparable. 

I haven't read anything yet that says this system isn't operating normally. A thermostat is not a 'feed back' controller with ECU driven 'logic' system that can anticipate changes in load. (Yes some vehicles are so equipped). It's a chuck of wax with a melting point that is 'reactive'. It will swing some.

Each piece of the system has a 'range' and no they don't all line up neatly. 

That said and for your piece of mind just change the thermostat. 

Yea I'll be changing it this weekend if the rain holds. Still confused as to why I pulled it all last summer and put 20k miles on it and it never went above 210. The temperature here isn't even hitting the 80s yet. I guess my truck is retarded and didn't know it was pulling a trailer all last year.

• Haha 1

Thanks all. I figure it's ok since the truck isn't complaining to me at all, but I'm just more aware of it now that I'm towing at 70-80% capacity. I've been watching more diligently, but then noticed the heat the truck is giving off when I park it too, even under normal load seems hot. Just don't recall it doing that much before. It's only been high 70s here lately, but I'll just keep my eye on it.