Trade In Values Insane!

I get what you're suggesting here, but "insurance", "maintenance", and "operating cost" would be there regardless of him getting another new truck or keeping the current one.

I do agree though; it may seem attractive up front, but even with crazy good used prices I don't think the math works in our favour especially if you plan to get another truck where they're not going to do much for incentives.

I just walked away. I’m just driving my wife’s car since she’s working from home. And I’ll just save my payments that I was going to make and hopefully buy a gen2 raptor next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

I just got offered $59k for my truck which is a 2019 High Country 17k miles with everything except power running boards on it. 

I bought it last year at this time as a left over. MSRP was $67 and they gave it to me for $60k plus 0% financing, and not including my trade in. So I have driven it a year and only lost $1k 

I’m seriously thinking of getting rid of it because they would cut me a check for about $10k. The problem is, what do I replace it with?

the upside is I wouldn’t have a truck payment and be debt free on truck payment? 

I’m spending today unpacking at the new house and the wife and I are discussing what to do. I am truly dumbfounded on the prices of these trucks. Can’t believe I’ve driven it for a year and basically getting what they sold it to me for after incentives. 

Also, does anyone in here think I can get more?  KBB posts it on high end at $59k. CarMax wanted me to come in before a quote when I put all my information online?  And the nearest one to me is 2 hours away. Don’t have time for that. 

The problem is buying a replacement....I made out bcuz it was 2500 and there aren't any around....carvana had the highest offer.....I also replaced it when rebates were decent (8k off new gmc).....right now local dealers are tacking on 5k for "market adjustment" so 5k rebate is squashed.....in other areas though possible to get a deal.....more gmc's than chevys from what I've seen

7 hours ago, Dunn said:

The problem is buying a replacement....I made out bcuz it was 2500 and there aren't any around....carvana had the highest offer.....I also replaced it when rebates were decent (8k off new gmc).....right now local dealers are tacking on 5k for "market adjustment" so 5k rebate is squashed.....in other areas though possible to get a deal.....more gmc's than chevys from what I've seen

I agree. I can’t come close to replace it for what I have.  I want a GMC over a Chevy and all the Denali’s around here are $70k. I’d be in the same boat I’m in now and not have my exhaust, tonneau cover, S&B intake, 22 inch wheels, tint on all my windows, aero skin bug deflector, and interior trim kit.  There’s another $5k already. 

You never come out trading same for same. I'm sorry, no matter the incentives. They make all their money on the used one you trade, not on the new truck. As stated, since truck market is high on used trucks right now, that means to buy a new one it will be high also. When I bought my 2019 Sierra, got 15k off sticker with rebates and incentives before I was out any of my money. Traded a 2018 Sierra identical to the 2019 I bought. Cost me 6k to get a year newer model, and I got a really good deal. Looking at the 2019 Sierra that I currently own and comparing it to a 2021 model, nothing has changed, even the MSRP is the same, but the incentives are not there. Same truck that I bought for 45k 2 years ago with a sticker of 60k, is now 52k after rebates and incentives. They are only coming off price 8-9k at the dealership I buy from, which is also a high volume dealer for GMC, and has from what I have seen the lowest pricing of any GMC or Chevy dealer across the country.

No matter the time, you are better off buying a vehicle and driving it several years before selling or buying another. That is just the facts. I hear all these stories about the deals people get and how they traded after 1 or 2 years and got this and that and didn't loose money. Sorry, that is hogwash, if that was the case dealerships would be out of business. They rip you one every time you trade or sell your slightly used vehicle for a new one. Now you can come out better selling yourself, but you are still loosing money. I know, I've given them plenty of my money over the years and will probably do it again, but not right now. IMO now is not the time to be trading or buying. I would wait it out.

Just like what was said early, you count all the things you have done to your truck that you are getting rid of and it adds up. Not only did you just give someone all the extras you put on the truck for free, because they don't consider that when buying your truck, but now you will do the same to the new one. So in my case, tint, bed cover, tires, and shocks and a few other things comes out to be around 3k. So add it up. 6k loss on trade minimum, 3k in accessories, then another 3k to put same accessories on new truck. 12k minimum it just cost me to get the same truck I had with 26k less miles. Oh, and that does not count for the sales tax you have to pay again. That makes good sense doesn't it????

Edited by winks79
  • Like 1

While you can’t do an even trade for the “same truck just newer”, the market right now presents a good opportunity to get nearly all your original money back and put it into something else if you wanted to upgrade anyway. Say to go from a mid range truck to high end. Or from a double cab to a crew cab. It’s pretty much like a do-over. 

Biggest problem is finding something to trade into. 

• Like 1

This post peaked my curiosity so I looked at my trucks value.  Paid $30,535 before Tax, Tag, etc.  Carvana offer was $39,571 after 15 months of ownership and 15,100 miles.  

Talked to a dealer and they are willing to match that offer.  Looks like I'm heading back to a smaller SUV with some cash in my pocket.  Going to look at it after work today.

Edited by Jason_
  • Like 1

I sold my 2020 Lexus RX350 FSport to Carvana for ~$5000 more than what I owed. I basically made my downpayment back. Looked up value for my 2020 TrailBoss and it's close to what I bought it for even after I installed leather seats and tonneau cover. But that would leave me without a vehicle and I love my truck. I thought about getting a beater for a little while but decided against it.

I appreciate all the replies on this topic. I also considered selling but my wife said you wouldn't be happy with less of a truck and would end up buying another AT4 in two years when you would almost have the other one you sold payed off. It is a great opportunity with people who may have purchased with negative equity to turn around and sale and break even or better. Like most I have added things like powersteps, retrax bed cover, more aggressive all terrains and exhaust. They will never pay you for your upgrades.  Unless you are not happy I believe you just have to hold on to what you have, you can make more money 😉

Edited by Rackumrack

14 hours ago, OnTheReel said:

Anyone try Vroom? Holy crap they are high. Offering me 55k for a 2.5 year old truck that stickered for 61 new and I paid ~53 for. 😮

That's a great deal. I had local dealership in town say the $59K that has been offered, they would match and use it on a trade in value not cash offer. The problem is I want a fully loaded Denali, white, with 6.2L and they can't find one, or dealership won't give them up.  Plus they are all over $70K the ones I have found online, (over 500 miles away from me) rebates are at $5k where I am at. 

28 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

That's a great deal. I had local dealership in town say the $59K that has been offered, they would match and use it on a trade in value not cash offer. The problem is I want a fully loaded Denali, white, with 6.2L and they can't find one, or dealership won't give them up.  Plus they are all over $70K the ones I have found online, (over 500 miles away from me) rebates are at $5k where I am at. 

Yeah, there ain’t much out there. No Denalis in stock around here, and the AT4s they have actually carry a dealer markup of $2500. So the price, even with the GMC 5k rebate is only $2500 below MSRP. If I bought another GM I’d wait for the refresh anyway. I wouldn’t do those type of deals on a 21.

That said, I really have the itch for something new and want to take advantage of these trade-in prices. I was just kinda weighing my options last week and called up the sales rep who sold me my last two trucks. Her Chrysler dealer wound up having an allocation for a TRX, and they agreed to let it go for sticker, which is like winning the lottery at this point. So I got that writing, built a billet silver level 2 truck and gave a deposit.

We’ll see how the timing of everything shakes out. I think the market will stay crazy for the foreseeable future and I’m probably positioned to make out very well. Wife hasn’t killed me yet either so that’s a bonus.

• Haha 1

The Fed said inflation has “risen” but attributed the higher readings to “transitory factors.” Central bank officials have warned that higher inflation could be coming as a result of the “base effects” of measuring year-over-year changes in addition to some supply chain constraints.

Edited by It's Tim