2020 LT Front Camera Add

I want to add a camera to my front grill that works on radio screen like factory.  I have a backup camera and the trailering guidance camera now.  I have a price of about $800 for a kit that will do this and thats with me installing it.  Is there any less expensive option?  is it hard to install? has anyone done this and what did you use?

On 4/29/2021 at 4:46 PM, Rally6.2RST said:

if you have a bedview camera you can upgrade your video processing module to the 360 one and have birdseye view.  relatively easy and oem level function.

I don't have a bed view camera but wish I did kind of because I'm always paranoid on trips if something flew out the back that I cant see without getting out or running all over road to try and stretch where I can see. lol

On 5/8/2021 at 1:16 PM, methehero said:

What kit did you purchase? I'm looking to add a front camera and would like it to work with the current installed system 

I havent purchased one yet but looking at MVI where you add the camera to the front and then a module of some kind in the dash.  

Having the bed view camera undoubtedly means that you will have at least the 5 channel VPM mounted behind the rear seat. Having a VPM in this location is the base requirement for being able to install other cameras using factory installation methods.

But what if you have the Advanced Trailering Package that has the HD Rear Camera and also the Second Hitch View Camera? Do these two cameras plug into a VPM behind the rear seat? Or, do they plug directly into the Infotainment head unit near the front passenger footwell? 

Is having a third camera (bed-view) the minimum to have VPM module installed from the factory on the truck? 

The infotainment head unit module is certainly programmed differently if you have the bed-view camera because the user interface is different (looks a lot like the menus if you have 360 surround vision). 

When you only have the the two (rear camera and hitch view camera) there are only three menu options on the infotainment camera screen (rear view, gridlines/hitch guideline, and top-down hitch view).

I'm pretty certain trucks that have only hitch and view rear view do not have a VPM and this plugs directly into radio.  

I think it may be possible to upgrade these trucks with a new/used radio from a VPM truck.  

I was testing a used VPM today from a short bed truck, I have a regular bed. They are not VIN locked.  There was some distortion with front cam. If you drive it will recalibrate.

20210516_125116.jpg

20210516_124916.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rally6.2RST said:

I'm pretty certain trucks that have only hitch and view rear view do not have a VPM and this plugs directly into radio.  

I think it may be possible to upgrade these trucks with a new/used radio from a VPM truck.  

I was testing a used VPM today from a short bed truck, I have a regular bed. They are not VIN locked.  There was some distortion with front cam. If you drive it will recalibrate.

20210516_125116.jpg

20210516_124916.jpg

i wonder if you could unplug the hitch view camera and plug in a front view camera in its place on the head unit.

Then, on the menu screen, when you press the hitch view soft button you would get the front camera view. If it works, this would be a good option for people who would really prefer a front camera rather than seeing the top down hitch view, which is really only meant to check your trailer hitch connection while driving. 

Edited by Z06JPB

The rear view image and the hitch view image come from the same rear view cam so there is only one video coax running from rear cam to radio that controls rear view and hitchview(just a zoomed up rear view).  If you look quickly at your handle you might think there are 2 cameras there but there is only one.  There is a camera on the left the round thing on the right is a led light.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2021 at 5:33 PM, Rally6.2RST said:

The rear view image and the hitch view image come from the same rear view cam so there is only one video coax running from rear cam to radio that controls rear view and hitchview(just a zoomed up rear view).  If you look quickly at your handle you might think there are 2 cameras there but there is only one.  There is a camera on the left the round thing on the right is a led light.  

I too only have the reverse camera but today I was looking at my radio module and I saw that there were a group of 4 coax connectors two used (I think for the antenna and shark fin antenna) but also another pair of coax connectors separate from the other group both of these had cables connected, I unplugged each while the camera was displayed, one coax was in fact the reverse camera but the other coax had no affect on anything, yet it was still plugged in. could this other coax be for front view? was the cable ran with another harness just not used?

That coax is a gps antenna or wifi antenna or onstar.  You need to have a video control module to have a front cam.  I think it could be possible to add a VCM by tapping into GMLAN 5060, power, ground and run camera lines.  Maybe a WAMS radio too.  Probably would need ios/iot radio not ior.   Would be interesting to find out if it can be done.  I added oem front cam to my truck but I had a VCM from having the trailer cam package (bedview, rearview and 2 trailer cam plugs) so all I needed was to run the coax lines to cams.