Lifters going bad on 5.3L-common problem apparently?

On 7/26/2021 at 5:26 PM, M1ck3y said:

I went a bit overboard with my earlier post 🙄

Nah, think you were fine, was pretty long, I did get bored and stopped about a quarter of the way through.

But, I will trust what you said was correct😬

Just got my truck back. 21 SLT 5.3 10 spd, 7500 miles. Had a faulty lifer on 7/16. They replaced all 16 lifters. Hopefully this is solved, but I'm concerned about future failures. 

On 5/4/2021 at 8:45 AM, Vtecluder617 said:

Have been noticing a lot of buzz on the FB Trail Boss/AT4 groups about people having lifters failing. All really low mileage too. Has me a bit concerned about my purchase! I always heard the 5.3L was a "tried and true" motor for GM.

I know people tend to go online and complain when they have an issue, but damn. Been noticing a lot of the "failed lifters" posts lately, from different people, complete with audio of how the motors sounds. Are these motors just a ticking time bomb, waiting to ****** the bed? Even if just 25% of 5.3L owners experience this at some point, I would consider that too high. Thoughts?

Mine went out last night on the way home 7600 miles. Since it has less than 8k miles GM want to replace them all but on a 3 week back order. So my truck that I purchased new In February and driven for 5 months is now down for 30 days. 

2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation.... 5100 miles ... 3 months since purchased....2 bad Lifters and a bent rod !! 

What are the recourses? Been in the shop for a week waiting for parts.

Service Tech actually said, "It's like buying something from Walmart... sometimes u get a bad one and have to return it" ... like it's some kind of crappy vaccum or something!

I didn't pay damn near $50,000 for bad lifters and bent rods ... supposed to be the best! 

I will be firing off emails to everyone at GM! What other can I do?

Thank you

Very disappointed customer

9 minutes ago, MoMo Inc. said:

2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation.... 5100 miles ... 3 months since purchased....2 bad Lifters and a bent rod !! 

What are the recourses? Been in the shop for a week waiting for parts.

Service Tech actually said, "It's like buying something from Walmart... sometimes u get a bad one and have to return it" ... like it's some kind of crappy vaccum or something!

I didn't pay damn near $50,000 for bad lifters and bent rods ... supposed to be the best! 

I will be firing off emails to everyone at GM! What other can I do?

Thank you

Very disappointed customer

You will get 16 lifters and any bent push rods replaced.  Then your truck will be good as new.  Email GM all you want, won't get you far most likely.  Hang tight, let the dealer fix it, and either drive the piss out of it or trade it on something else.    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 6:26 PM, wizard4878 said:

my 2019 has 54,000 on it.  Its still quiet and smooth as the day I bought it,  no issues.  I change oil every 5000 with mobil 1 full synthetic 0W30

I switched to Mobil 1 0W30 two oil changes ago and the 6.2 is running smoother and quieter than ever. 

• 1 month later...

Well my 2021 RST 5.3 with 5484 miles on it went in for lifter replacement. 
 #3 broke gm only wanted to do one bank! I told the dealer HELL NO I want all 16 replace! Good news He reached out to the area rep. and got it approved!!! 

Bad news no idea when the parts will be in….F@*#! Also don’t if anything else is hurt in the motor. 

at least I have a 2021 equinox to drive the piss out of it…..while I wait 😂

On 8/6/2021 at 12:48 PM, newdude said:

You will get 16 lifters and any bent push rods replaced.  Then your truck will be good as new.  Email GM all you want, won't get you far most likely.  Hang tight, let the dealer fix it, and either drive the piss out of it or trade it on something else.    

I wish this was true, however the vehicle will more than likely idle rough and hesitate slightly on acceleration as does mine . GM will not acknowledge it and want you to drive it until it breaks.  This is my case at least

21 hours ago, Philbert said:

I wish this was true, however the vehicle will more than likely idle rough and hesitate slightly on acceleration as does mine . GM will not acknowledge it and want you to drive it until it breaks.  This is my case at least

?  You've got something else going on if you have a hesitation and no check engine light on.  

The 16 lifters is a true deal.  GM has it in their "valvetrain" repair flow chart for 2020-2021.  Its all based on mileage.

Scenarios for Consideration (flowchart attached)

1. If a customer has a lifter failure, with no previous valve-related failures:
    • Vehicle is under 8,000 miles, replace both banks of lifters.
    • Vehicle is over 8,000 miles, replace one bank of lifters.

2. If a customer has a lifter failure, and previously had one bank of lifters replaced:
    • Replace the other lifter bank and offer the customer a 60-month/100,000 miles Powertrain Component Coverage Letter for their inconvenience.
      • The Powertrain Component Coverage Letter will be initiated by the District Manager Aftersales.
    • If the Component Coverage Letter is not accepted by the customer, the District Manager Aftersales will provide additional guidance. 

3. If a customer has a lifter failure, and previously had a valve spring failure (after delivery), we recommend one of the three options below: 
    1.  Replace one bank of lifters and offer the customer a 60-month/100,000 miles Powertrain Component Coverage Letter for their inconvenience.
      •   The Powertrain Component Coverage Letter will be initiated by the District Manager Aftersales.
    2. Replace the engine.
    3. If the Component Coverage Letter or engine replacement is not accepted by the customer, the District Manager Aftersales will provide additional guidance.
    4. NOTE: Component Coverage Letters are not to be offered in the states of California, New Hampshire, or Vermont.  Instead, a 60-month/100,000 miles CBGC Protection Plan may be offered.
Edited by newdude

I understand I have something else going on, more than likely a valve is not seated properly or camshaft lobe was scored ever so slightly after the lifter collapsed causing my symptoms.  Especially given the fact that the vehicle is not driving the way it did before all 16 lifters and the bent pushrod were replaced.  Some others are also experiencing what I am and are not getting satisfactory answers from GM. They will not address the issue because there is no CEL. I'm going to be shopping for a ford or dodge this weekend and see if I can get out without taking a hit. If not I will become the squeaky wheel at the dealership until it's fixed properly or hire an attorney and pursue lemon law. It's a shame as I used to really like the truck.