Lifters going bad on 5.3L-common problem apparently?

3 hours ago, Robby James said:

I must FULLY disagree that "MOST" seem to drive with constant wot....lol

No traffic signals in your town?

Clowns ALWAYS race each other so they can WAIT at the next red light. 

The problem occurs because I take it easy and usually arrive at the interesction just as the light changes to green. Guess who is blocking my path? The peeps that "Need more MPGs". 😂

Edited by It's Tim
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

The problem occurs because I take it easy and usually arrive at the interesction just as the light changes to green. Guess who is blocking my path? The peeps that "Need more MPGs". 😂

Like the guy that passes you in a no passing zone flipping you the bird and flashing his lights only to stomp on the dead pedal and wait for three oncoming cars to make a left hand turn he would glide through had he let off the gas, stayed behind you another thirty seconds? Those clowns? :crackup:

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

I guess I am just not getting it...................if you live where people drive at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE all the time then kudos to you as it sounds like a fun place.

Enjoy the fast track my friend.

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Like the guy that passes you in a no passing zone flipping you the bird and flashing his lights only to stomp on the dead pedal and wait for three oncoming cars to make a left hand turn he would glide through had he let off the gas, stayed behind you another thirty seconds? Those clowns? :crackup:

Its called reading the flow of traffic and those guys DO indeed where very large shoes and red bulbous noses.

• Haha 2

Realistically a speed limit is just what the word means.

LIMIT

THE FASTEST ONE IS ALLOWED TO DRIVE LEAGLY.  

Roads have a range of 'legal' speeds. Interstates also has a lower limit.,45 mph most places. Right lane is for slower and merging traffic and left lane(S) for other. Anything between the minimum and maximum is legal and by design safe.

When someone doing 80 mph feels 'stuck behind some clown' doing 50 in the SLOW lane where he/she is suppose to be....Insist on some 'right' he doesn't have to do 15-20 mph over the limit....will not pick of of a multiple of faster lanes....complains about it.......                                                  🤔

The guy legally doing 45 isn't making it unsafe.

The guy illegally doing 80 is! 

:wtf:

During the painful double nickel days I had a radar detector and a CB. It’s now 70-75 most places I travel. Even secondary roads. I’m a happy camper and satisfied. I see more people going over than under that speed. My only complaint is that one simple law was followed. Keep right except to pass. Don’t impede the flow in the left lane. Which means if someone is gaining on you match the speed or move over. It’s the law. If someone is traveling 45 mph in the right lane on the interstate. It may be lawful. It’s also is deadly. Right dead or wrong dead is still dead. A tractor trailer at full load doing 70 cresting a hill on a yo yo doing 45, lord have mercy.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Chez Dave said:

How many hours does it take to repair the lifters on the 5.3L 2021 TB?

It really matters on how good the mechanic is, 

you have to remove the heads and that will take a while to do. (remove intake, remove exhaust manifold. remove wiring harness around top of motor, remove rocker assembly.)

It would be really cool if GM would make the opening of the heads where the pushrod goes slightly larger then the lifter so that you can pull the lifter without pulling the head.

Wait, so this whole thread was because someone read a few stories online and blew it up to thinking 25% of them are failures? Then he talks about his Japanese vehicles and how he may go to a Toyota? Is this a troll post? This has to be a troll post because it sure sounds like one. People read too much in to this, it isn't 25% or 2.5%, the failure rate is more along the lines of 0.00025%. Seriously, there are millions of these produced each year and a small handful of failure threads, just do the math right there. And a disabler will never be known to save anything as the people who put them on and those that sell them have no way to actually know and test the validity of the product, it is there assumption that is usually incorrect; especially when compared to those much smarter than us that puts in the design time and testing on the OEM systems. Those catch can guys are in the same category... 

Drive the truck if you have a problem fix it, if it is under warranty take it to the dealer; and don't read too much in to the forums, a good portion are here to complain or troll. If you maintain it chances are extremely high you won't have an issue, but remember these are complicated machines built by robots and humans that are comprised of tens of thousands of parts, there will be rogue issues; and that goes for every brand.

Tyler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 1:05 AM, waltchan said:

Yes, I'm well-aware of that. But, could the 4.3L EcoTec3 possibly still be more-reliable than 5.3L, due to a more simple-design with less-complexity.

Can we call 4.3L EcoTec3 most-bulletproof?

It isn't less complicated. Just fewer cylinders.  Just as complicated. Same AFM system. Same lifters, rockers, guides and so on. Same components in the VLOM and same computer. 

Bullet proof?  🤔 Less likely to get beat like a pup maybe. 😜 It does improve it's odds 

On 5/4/2021 at 9:09 PM, carpendj said:

I had a lifter failure at only 7500 miles. 2019 AT4 with 6.2.

Likely happened earlier but I hadn’t got around to making appointment at dealer.

I think it’s being caused by the DFM system which you currently can’t disable if you have a 10-speed.

So does that mean if we disable DFM our engines will last longer without lifter failure?

On 5/5/2021 at 6:16 AM, Robby James said:

I must FULLY disagree that "MOST" seem to drive with constant wot....lol

When I ever get the opportunity for wot with my 6.2 it is for a few seconds only unless I am out in the country and then it is for maybe a few extra seconds and then you are into triple digits.

My bet is 95% will never see an issue in the time they own their trucks, I did a AFM delete and lifter fix on  my gorgeous one owner babied since birth 2013 in my driveway on a sunny afternoon.

Had to wait for ECU to be returned to me but whole thing was a cakewalk anyway.

I live my life a quarter mile at a time… if the groceries I put in the backseat don’t end up all over the front floor and dashboard then I’m simply not living haha! Actually I drive pretty tame.

• Like 1

Mechanical failures happen. Nature of the beast.

The best thing you can do is stick to doing maintenance to a T as you said. 

As I said, shorter oil change intervals and regular fluid changes are the best method for longevity IMO.

• Like 1