How Much Can I Realistically Tow

Looking for a no nonsense answer to how much I can realistically tow?

The Vehicle:

2016 Silverado Crewcab, short bed

5.3L V8, 6-Speed

3.42 Axle

Specs say my max tow is 9100lbs.  I’m looking to tow an RV across the United States from Michigan to California.  The trailers I’m looking at are 7500lbs UVW with a GVW of 8500lbs.  I don’t expect the tow weight to exceed 8000lbs.

Can I tow something of that size across the country?  Will be using a weight distribution hitch with sway control.

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

Alan, general rule of thumb is 80% of manufacturers rated tow weight for a mostly non-white knuckle tow experience. Given that you will be climbing the Rockies and maybe even the Sierras depending on your destination in California, my advice would be to look for a much lighter trailer or upgrade to a 2500.

Good way to look at it, take 1.5 to 2.0 times your own body weight, then walk 3000 miles, going up and down hills, and at times running as fast as you can.

You will feel how your truck feels when pushed to it limits for long periods of time.

If you are approaching the limits, and really like the trailer, probably time to step up to at least a 2500.

7500 pound trailer, that only gives you 500 more pounds for your water tanks (12 pounds per gallon), propane tanks, and any gear. 

If the answer is, you will just put your gear and other things in the truck, you have just shifted weight to truck now making it more unstable at speeds.

4 to 5 people, pets, and gear chew up the total payload of your rig very quickly, better safe than being sorry with a lot regrets if things go really bad on the open road.

1 hour ago, Salsa De Piña said:

The only way to be sure is to haul it over a scale

Have you tried that with her in the truck to confirm her weight?

Going to dump with mine this weekend, like your thinking on this🤣😂🤣😂😬

• Haha 1

You don't want to tow 8000 lbs with a half ton . It will do it but you are going to beat the hell out of it to go cross country.

The 5.3 don't have enough ass to make then long grades. Not enough gear either with the six speed 3.42 combo

Add a little wind and you are looking at 55 mph 4th gear 3000 rpm.

I have a 2018 double cab 5.3 3.42 that I tow a 25 ft 6000 lb loaded travel trailer with.

This is the max I would do with a half ton.

Coming back to Minnesota from Wyoming last fall , I hit some 30mph headwind. 

50 -55 mph max. 3rd and 4th gear always over 3000 rpm 6 mpg. Temp gage at around 220 on the long grades.

To me that's beating the crap out of it.

If you want a trailer that big get a 3/4 ton.

• Like 2

I think you will be OK but a white knuckled experience sometimes if it gets windy. I live in Colorado so very familiar with towing in the mountains. You will not be able to do the speed limit on mountain grades. If you run I-70 pulling the grade to Eisenhower Tunnel, it will be slow. My guess 30-35 mph. Unless you're going to run your truck really hard. 

My 2012 1500 Sierra, 5.3, 6 speed and 3.42's pulls Eisenhower at 40+ with 4 k pounds(boat, single axle trailer). I'm not pushing it hard. I'm not in a hurry. If I remember correctly that's 4 gear at 3000-3500 rpms.  

Also the warmer the day the harder on the driveline. Oil temps, trans temps climb.

This has been discussed extensively and everyone has an opinion or a comfort zone for towing. Some push the limits due to the cost of bigger trucks or diesels. 

I fell 6 K pounds is max for a half ton truck. Now towing in flat lands I would up that weight but would not go to the max weight. The max weight it would be hard to stop the rig in a panic stop.

If you want to go with the setup you describe, I would take my time. Drive 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit and allow plenty of stopping distance. No tailgating. You will be maxing the truck out IMO.

• Like 2

For a comfortable experience with any grades, I'd keep the GVWR of the trailer under 8,000lbs.    

If its Kansas flat where you are, you could probably go a tad larger like the 8500 GVWR trailer.

Big thing to remember is 10% tongue weight.  10% of 8500lbs is 850lbs, so subtract 850 from the payload on the tire load label in your door.  That's how much weight remaining for people and gear in the truck.   

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

dieselfan1 is spot on. We have very similar responses. 

That's because it's a fact. Real world experience.  Not what someone heard from their buddies buddy.

Recently flat towed a Jeep just shy of 6k loaded to Moab from Texas. Truck is 5.3 4x4 with 3.73 gears max tow package. 1,000 miles each way. In Texas on mostly flat ground going 65 the truck would rarely settle in 6th gear. Once we got into southwestern Co and the hills in southeastern Utah the fun began. I was routinely dropping to 4th and even 3rd to keep speed up. Ambient temps were fine so temps in the truck weren't an issue. It did open my eye on how dismal these things are at pulling on anything with a grade. Truck was able to do everything I asked it to do but I had expected more umpf to be honest. If I ever start towing regularly whether it be a camper/boat/trailer for jeep I'll be looking at the 6.2 or a 3/4 ton. 

I averaged about 12mpg staying around 65-68 the majority of the way.

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

You don't want to tow 8000 lbs with a half ton . It will do it but you are going to beat the hell out of it to go cross country.

The 5.3 don't have enough ass to make then long grades. Not enough gear either with the six speed 3.42 combo

Add a little wind and you are looking at 55 mph 4th gear 3000 rpm.

I have a 2018 double cab 5.3 3.42 that I tow a 25 ft 6000 lb loaded travel trailer with.

This is the max I would do with a half ton.

Coming back to Minnesota from Wyoming last fall , I hit some 30mph headwind. 

50 -55 mph max. 3rd and 4th gear always over 3000 rpm 6 mpg. Temp gage at around 220 on the long grades.

To me that's beating the crap out of it.

If you want a trailer that big get a 3/4 ton.

Yeah but do you not remember what towing was like 20-3 years ago?

i remember my dad towing airstreams with an fj60 landcruiser. Yeah you were basically at the same power to weight ratio as a loaded tractor trailer. It sucks, but it’s definitely do able. It’s not unsafe.

this needs to be clarified when somebody asks a question about doing it once. Is it worth spending $1000’s of dollars so you can effortlessly pull trailers up grades a couple times on a single trip, hell no. It’s way more of a man grunting from the driver seat “look what my beast can do”

now as far as length and surface area, yeah that can be dangerous, which is why I mentioned about the physical size of the trailer

20 years ago the same 5.3 made a measly 270 hp.

the torque number was around 300. Yes they were weaker.

No doubt that the longer the trailer the more side wind to catch. 

And if it's an "ultra light "  33 footer,  prepare to be blown around like a rag doll.

Trust me , travel trailers are like towing a parachute when it gets windy. Been doing this for over 30 years.

No wind and flat highway is way doable though. But that never happens where I go.

The best option when it gets windy is to get off the interstate. Take state or us highways where the speed limit is 55-60 and go 50. If it's real windy like 35 plus I'm parking it.

• Like 1

How many miles on the truck?  Before you head out, have the brakes on the truck AND trailer are inspected and in tip top condition and also make sure that the trailer brakes are set properly.  Lube trailer bearings.  Swap ALL fluids on truck, brake fluid, transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials, and engine oil.  Give it the best shot that it has to be happy.  I understand buying a new 2500 series isn't all that realistic especially right now, so, drive slow if you have to and when it's necessary, back off instead of pushing it.

Also make sure that you have a quality hitch with sway control and weight distribution as well.  Make it easier on yourself and your truck!

Edited by BlaineBug
  • Like 1