Brakes soft

I had the same problem this weekend, took it to the dealer to inspect the brake system.  We almost had a accident on the interstate, took a lot of work to come to a stop.  (my thoughts, $80K truck should not have to pump your brakes to stop this vehicle)....

Peacemaker

There was another thread about this... Go out and start your truck but leave it in park, push the pedal to the floor hard, all the way then remove your foot and let the pedal come all the way back up, two or three times is what I did. This fixed the issue for me as well as others.

• Like 3

Do exactly what bird_dog0347 suggested. It definitely makes for a big improvement on brake feel and I've pretty much forgotten that it was an issue since I performed those steps myself a few weeks ago. Not sure why it works, but it does.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:42 AM, Random said:

Do exactly what bird_dog0347 suggested. It definitely makes for a big improvement on brake feel and I've pretty much forgotten that it was an issue since I performed those steps myself a few weeks ago. Not sure why it works, but it does.

So I read this message yesterday and said what the hell, lets try it.  What do i have to lose.  Surprisingly, like bird_dog0347 suggested it worked!!  Major improvement.  I don't know why but makes me want to understand what made it change and can it be better.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 3:59 PM, Grjfer said:

Just throwing this out there, but after driving the truck for almost a week now I have found that a single pump of the brakes immediately provide a firmer pedal. 

I have new 2022 GMC 2500 HD AT4 6.6 Gas and one pump will bring the pedal to where it should be. I have only 753 mi and been this way since I picked it up last week. The dealer offered no solution.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:25 AM, bird_dog0347 said:

There was another thread about this... Go out and start your truck but leave it in park, push the pedal to the floor hard, all the way then remove your foot and let the pedal come all the way back up, two or three times is what I did. This fixed the issue for me as well as others.

This process did work well. I now have a full pedal on first touch.  It appears to be related to the booster/master cylinder interface. Just to note my truck is brand new, 758 mi now.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:25 AM, bird_dog0347 said:

Me too! I remembered this comment when I took delivery of my truck a month or so ago, had 4 miles on it. Pushed the brake peddle to start, and it almost went to the floor. Followed these steps then, and has been fine since. 

On 10/20/2021 at 8:25 AM, bird_dog0347 said:

Well I'll be damn. Just did this to my new 22 gmc 3500hd drw. It now has a much better pedal. I can't believe the pedal will bottom out to begin with. Not your normal hydraulic brake system that I know of.

Turning wrenches since '76. Never seen anything like this. Will be talking to the hd department at my local dealer, when they update the tcm, after the new years. Will report back, if he has any idea what is going on.

I have a theory that GM is using ceramic pads on the truck to stop brake dust from discoloring the rims..  ceramic pads are not good when cold, they love heat, but the problem is heat will deform the rotors so then when the pads are in the correct temp window, the rotors start over-heating and causing brake pulsing..

I will be ordering a new set of rotors , and a set of aggressive non-ceramic pads from EBC, not sure what color pad to use yet , i have to give EBC a call and talk with the tech guy

Edited by pokismoki

• 1 year later...

My 2021 GMC HD also.  I actually took it in to have them check it, TWICE.  They say no issue.  But does seem to take a lot of of pedal push to get it to stop.  If i pump the pedal once, it seems to stiffen up and work like it should.  That's why i took it in.  First time they said they bled the breaks and seems to help for a couple days, then back to the way it was.  Second time i took it in, they said no issue.

First time I put my truck in drive in the garage, I just about hit the garage door.  Was used to the pedal pressure from my half ton when shifting from park.  The new 2024 takes a ton of pedal effort at rest.  Will try the three hard pumps thing and see if that improves things.

Just Had my brakes replaced at 23003 miles for the brake squeal. I have always noticed the weak/soft pedal feel since owning the truck. I even did the push the pedal to the floor hard, all the way trick and it helped some but I found it did not say that way. Since getting the brakes replaced I will say the pedal feel is much improved now. Not sure why, but I'll take it.

• 3 weeks later...