My brand new 2021 Silverado 1500 Z71 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.3 L engine developed a bent pushrod at 3000 miles. At 3500 miles the water pump started making a grinding noise. After getting that fixed and driving another 50 or 100 miles the new water pump developed the same grinding noise. This will be the third time in the shop for warranty repairs in less than 4000 miles! Was without my truck for over two weeks during the bent pushrod. Then another 10 days for the water pump. Now I have an appointment one week from now to get the second water pump replaced. If this repair doesn’t work I’ll be looking at GM buy back or replacement. What would you do?

I wouldn't like what you're going through but.........

Let them fix it and go from there if you like the truck. You can always trade if you want and they all make a bad one sometimes. 

Are you sure they changed the first water pump? Did you check? I trust no one. 

• Like 1

More than likely the first pump was damaged during the push rod install as i believe that part needs to be removed when taking the top half of the motor apart. Either that or it was installed wrong, the water pump is seriously one part on these trucks that i have never really heard any complaints on. My guess like some others here is that the first time they fixed it they didnt put a new pump in and tried to make it work. Either that or they are installing it wrong somehow, the odds of getting two bad water pumps in a row are astronomical imo.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have a bent push rod to my knowledge but my truck is in for a new water pump that was squeaking and shaft wobbled enough to start shredding belt and damage idler pulley.  Could be a bad water pump in other words seperate from the push rod.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:52 PM, BIGDOGx said:

More than likely the first pump was damaged during the push rod install as i believe that part needs to be removed when taking the top half of the motor apart. Either that or it was installed wrong, the water pump is seriously one part on these trucks that i have never really heard any complaints on. My guess like some others here is that the first time they fixed it they didnt put a new pump in and tried to make it work. Either that or they are installing it wrong somehow, the odds of getting two bad water pumps in a row are astronomical imo.

I bet he has a bad head gasket now putting too much exhaust pressure in his cooling system. Dealer damaged it or didn't plane the head or something when it was removed. Common in the 6.6 lml duramaxs.